Water + Ice + Salt

I don't think this would be a good idea. Salt water if VERY corrosive, and sticking a bunch of metal into salt water could damage your hookah over time. Remember though, cold water decreases flavor. Room temp is really the best. If you set up everything right, cold water doesn't really make it smoother.. just cold, and slightly less tasty.

Do a search on the forums for this, as this has been covered alot. I believe the consensus is water is best. Some like adding some juice, some have tried milk, wine, beer, etc. I can't personally vouch for this.

You'll probably get better mileage with mixing flavors of shisha. Was thinking of adding cherry juice to your water to go with a cola flavored shisha? why not just mix up some cherry shisha in that instead?

[quote name='Caila' date='25 June 2010 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1277482340' post='472803']
Do you have an Ice Chamber? If you do then just put room temp water in the vase and Ice & Salt in the Ice Chamber.
[/quote]

Ice chamber is still made of brass, if its part of the original hookah design. Unless you have an add on and its made of something else. Salt water will corrode brass pretty nasty..

tbh your best bet is to do a salt water mix and put it into the freezer as it will not actually freeze but get to near freezing temps.
make sure you clean your pipe thoroughly after use. if you have a copper downstem you should be solid.

I think putting salt water (brine) in the Hookah base would probably be a really bad idea. It would most likely make the shisha taste really nasty.

On the other hand if you have an ice chamber putting ice and salt in it works just fine. I do it all the time, I've had the hookah for a year now and not a trace of rust. Keep in mind that after each use I clean the ice chamber out with dish soap so no salt residue is left behind.

If you're really adventurous you can try dry ice and 90% rubbing alcohol in the ice chamber. That gets things really cold. I only do that on special occaisions because the dry ice is not cheap and you wind up wasting a lot of it. Note that I would only do this with an ice chamber. Putting dry ice in the base is very risky, IMO.

Just ice: 32F

ice & salt: 0F

dry ice & alcohol: -60F

I think putting salt water (brine) in the Hookah base would probably be a really bad idea. It would most likely make the shisha taste really nasty.

On the other hand if you have an ice chamber putting ice and salt in it works just fine. I do it all the time, I've had the hookah for a year now and not a trace of rust. Keep in mind that after each use I clean the ice chamber out with dish soap so no salt residue is left behind.

If you're really adventurous you can try dry ice and 90% rubbing alcohol in the ice chamber. That gets things really cold. I only do that on special occaisions because the dry ice is not cheap and you wind up wasting a lot of it. Note that I would only do this with an ice chamber. Putting dry ice in the base is very risky, IMO.

Just ice: 32F

ice & salt: 0F

dry ice & alcohol: -60F

brine is a tried and trusted method of many of the old hands here. i've never had a flavor issue with it but i would be more scared of dry ice due to extreme cold sitting in my GLASS BASE. crack.

[quote name='Jaube' date='25 June 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1277511375' post='472873']
rubbing alcohol? is that save to inhale?
[/quote]

No, but if it's in the ice chamber you won't be inhaling it.

The weird thing is once you get it down to -109F it turns into a gel.

[quote name='thecoalition' date='25 June 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1277511876' post='472874']
brine is a tried and trusted method of many of the old hands here. i've never had a flavor issue with it but i would be more scared of dry ice due to extreme cold sitting in my GLASS BASE. crack.
[/quote]

I only put dry ice in the ice chamber of an ice hookah. I would never put dry ice in the glass base, for the reason you just described.

If you want to keep the salt off of your stem, put a little wine or liquor in your base to drop the freezing point. If you want to keep the ice out of your base, do the alcohol mix and put your base in a bucket of salty ice water.

Or just use water and spend more time smoking.