Kingsford Match Light

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this question in, but I couldn't decide if it should have been here or in the 'General' forum.

Anyway, has anyone ever used Kingsford Match Light to heat their shisha? Is it somehow unsafe to use? If it's okay, will I need to split it up before I use it? I didn't know if this coal burns as hot as typical hookah coals, or if it burns much hotter since it is used for cooking. I'm all out of coals buy dying to try some AF grape...

Thanks for the reply! I was actually just about to go use them...good thing I got on and checked really quick. I guess I'll run down to the store and pick up some coals.

[quote name='cotsi95' date='07 June 2010 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1275939157' post='470983']
ABSOLUTELY NOT!! A good rule is to NEVER you any coals that arnt specifically made for hookah.

[/quote]

Not necessarily.... If you can find a brand of good hard wood coals they're far more than usable. It mostly depends on if the charcoal itself is treated with any harmful chemicals.

I used a big bag of hard wood coals I got for like $9 and it was 20lb of coal.
If you can deal with the hassle of lighting them, they work excellently and burn extremely hot!

Right. If you are goign to use non-hookah charcoal look for all hardwood "lump" charcoal. It's essentially big bads of "lemonwood" charcoal or all natural unformed hookah charcoal like el wadi el gidda.

Man that brings back memories. My friends and I used the Kingsford charcoals back in the day before anyone sold the coals for the hookahs to the regular folks. I remember it was such a pain in the ass to light and break into pieces. It did its job though and what we would do is stack the coals on the head and if you smoke it hard enough it causes flames lol.

[quote name='thecyrax' date='07 June 2010 - 02:08 PM' timestamp='1275944885' post='470992']
[quote name='cotsi95' date='07 June 2010 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1275939157' post='470983']
ABSOLUTELY NOT!! A good rule is to NEVER you any coals that arnt specifically made for hookah.

[/quote]

Not necessarily.... If you can find a brand of good hard wood coals they're far more than usable. It mostly depends on if the charcoal itself is treated with any harmful chemicals.

[/quote]

Any coals you can light with a match are treated with harmful substances :)

do not use any charcoal briquettes made for barbecue. these are only for grilling and smokers (low and slow barbecue).

the only bbq charcoal you can use are the lump charcoal. most bbq lump hardwood coal is maple if you are in north america.

CP44 says:Man that brings back memories. My friends and I used the Kingsford charcoals

And seeing as i was once appointed to the post of Minister of Useless Information in a mythical country(this is what happens when you drink too much) I have this to say about that:

Kingsford Charcoal was founded by Henry Ford. Ole Henry didn't like waste and he had all these wood scraps left over from making Woodie station wagons, that he decided to sell the wood as charcoal. Don't know if Ford still has an interest in kingsford, but there was certainly no wood in either my '60 Falcon or my '84 Ranger, the only fords I've ever owned, although I would die for a 1940 ford coupe!

[b]Raw Materials[/b]
Charcoal briquettes are made of two primary ingredients (comprising about 90% of the final product) and several minor ones. One of the primary ingredients, known as char, is basically the traditional charcoal, as described above. It is responsible for the briquette's ability to light easily and to produce the desired wood-smoke flavor. The most desirable raw material for this component is hardwoods such as beech, birch, hard maple, hickory, and oak. Some manufacturers also use softwoods like pine, or other organic materials like fruit pits and nut shells.

The other primary ingredient, used to produce a high-temperature, long-lasting fire, is coal. Various types of coal may be used, ranging from sub-bituminous lignite to anthracite.

Minor ingredients include a binding agent (typically starch made from corn, milo, or wheat), an accelerant (such as nitrate), and an ash-whitening agent (such as lime) to let the backyard barbecuer know when the briquettes are ready to cook over.

************************************************************************************************

So if I am reading this correctly the only possible bad ingredients are nitrate and lime. So not that i would recommend it I would think as long as it was fully lit it would be ok. Three king original purpose if you read the box is to burn incense. hookah is not its intended purpose.

Ray