New To Shisha, A Couple Questions?

Hey Hookah Forum!

I just joined, and I have a couple questions about shisha, as i am a bit of a newbie :)

1) When I have shisha, sometimes i feel quite sick after it, and on one occasion have nearly thrown up? why could this be? and do other people get this?
2) Sometimes when smoking, the flavour gets quite strong on my tongue, and becomes a bit unpleasant, am i doing something wrong?
3) People have told me if you dont burn the tobacco when smoking, its not as bad? is this a myth? because whenever i have it, and i take the foil off, the tobacco is rock hard and black.
4) How do you get the shisha to stop being harsh on the back of your throat?

Sorry if these questions have been answered already in the forum, im a bit new to this :S

Thank you so much in advance.

AJ x

all of your problems have to do with your lack of heat management skills, dont take that as bad but definately from your problems thats the root. I am gunna get the things that will inevitably repeated over and over in this thread.

1) When I have shisha, sometimes i feel quite sick after it, and on one occasion have nearly thrown up? why could this be? and do other people get this?

[b]Look at other threads about this, search nauseousness or something like that. Basic fixes, make sure the coals are all the way lit before you start smoking, if you are using quick lights especially, if you breathe in the fumes coming off you get all kinds of problems. make sure you have food in your system and drink water during the session, also take a break between hits and you should be good, keep fresh air in your lungs and keep the space well ventilated. [/b]

2) Sometimes when smoking, the flavour gets quite strong on my tongue, and becomes a bit unpleasant, am i doing something wrong?

[b]Move the coal around about 45 degrees around the circle of the bowl every 5 minutes or so, also think about breaking the coal in half and keeping the halves seperated on opposite sides of the bowl.[/b]

3) People have told me if you dont burn the tobacco when smoking, its not as bad? is this a myth? because whenever i have it, and i take the foil off, the tobacco is rock hard and black.
[b]
[u]SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU,[/u] we dont know if its worse or better for you than cigarettes but i dont really care, think about if you want to get into a hobby or activity knowing full well it doesnt do anything for your health and may very well shorten your life span a bit. Personally the relaxation is worth it for me, think about your outlook on it.[/b]

[b]see my comment on number 2[/b]

Sorry if these questions have been answered already in the forum, im a bit new to this :S
[b]
Do some searches or look through the new member FAQ that is stickied somewhere in here. Also think about getting natural coals they are a bit more forgiving. Welsome aboard and hopefully you stick around to learn more.[/b]

[quote name='A. A. Jawad.' date='16 May 2010 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1274040894' post='468337']
Hey Hookah Forum!

I just joined, and I have a couple questions about shisha, as i am a bit of a newbie :)

[color="#0000ff"]Empty Stomach? Are you well Hydrated? If not ....do so[/color]
[color="#0000ff"]Also as mentioned QuickLight Coals are notorious for this if not fully lit[/color]

[color="#00ff00"]This happens when your burning the tobacco...(too much heat) / cut half of the coals on go in increments of .5 when adding coals[/color]

[color="#ff0000"]The only prize you get out of this is you dont get black gums and yellow teeth...chicks dig that not unless your from ______[/color]

[color="#ff00ff"]I would use some kind of MINT candy...or an ice cube in your mouth...I personally dont do this[/color]

Thank you so much in advance.

[color="#ffa500"]This was a fun quiz...I like changing the font colors for fun...I dont get the questions though but I tried[/color]

AJ x
[/quote]

[b]When I started smoking Hookah, I also felt sick afterwards but that was because I didn't have anything in my stomach.[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/Hookah.gif[/img][/b]
[b]
[/b]
[b]One tip that I can give you that works for me is that when you are smoking and you start feeling your throat kind of ashy is to get an orange and eat it while smoking and keep the wrap or pulp wt and smell it, that will make your throat to take more air and get rid of that ashy feeling.[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ylsuper.gif[/img][/b]
[b]
[/b]
[b]Also take pauses when your smoking.[/b]
[b]And drink water or any liquid.[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/good2.gif[/img][/b]

Drinking sugary drinks-(or natural sugar like the orange tip) should help take some of that nicotine buzz away. Also, eat a full meal before you smoke, this should also help you with the nicotine. I work at a cigar shop and explain these methods to guys who are newer to smoking. Just take it easy and smoke slower maybe.

[quote name='A. A. Jawad.' date='16 May 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1274040894' post='468337']
[/quote]

I'm not sure if you found what you were looking for, but I have a slightly different take on some of your questions.

[b]1. Nausea - [/b]There many things that can lead to nausea. But the usual suspects are as follows: [b][i]1) Coal Type[/i][/b] - Quicklites are notorious for making people sick because of all the chemicals they contain that end up in your lungs. Other coals such as Exoticas and the cheaper Japanese-style coals tend to put out a lot of carbon-monoxide that can lead to nausea as well. [b][i]2[/i])[i]Your Gut[/i][/b] - Just like with alcohol, the affects of tobacco hit you harder on an empty stomach. So make sure you're hydrated and have had something to eat prior to smoking. [b][i]3) Nicotine[/i][/b] - If you're new to hookah, don't try to jump on the Tangiers Noir bandwagon before you're ready. In fact, stay away from unwashed altogether at first. You don't want your first experiences to be bad. I always suggest Starbuzz to first-time smokers. It's super easy and won't knock you on your ass.

[b]2. Flavor - [/b]When you say "strong flavor", you could be talking about a couple of things. The first, and most common, is harshness. When tobacco gets too hot, it starts to burn. Smoking burned tobacco is, understandably, like smoking a cigarette. It will feel like a dry, hot smoke that tickles or burns your throat probably making you cough. Like mentioned earlier, this can be fixed by rotating or even pulling coals.

The second, less common thing that you might be referring to is a strange phenomenon that I think only Eric (Sonthert) fully understands. It has to do with relative humidity and the process of smoke turning from vapor back to liquid generally in your hose. When this happens, you get a very strong, very bitter taste that lingers in your mouth. It's absolutely dreadful, and at this point, still unpredictable and incurable.

[b]3. Health - [/b]Everything is relative, man. More than likely, these people are comparing shisha to cigarettes. Since the tobacco is not burned, there is no tar. And considering that tar is the leading cancer-causing agent in tobacco smoke, it's absence in hookah smoke is compelling evidence supporting the idea that hookah is healthier. Not to mention the long list of additives added to cigarette tobacco not presenct in shisha. But you also have to consider things like Carbon Monoxide. A hookah session lasts much longer than a cigarette break, so the CO consumed will naturally be higher. What do I tell people who ask me about hookah and health? I say, "It's better for you than cigarettes but worse than air."

[b]4. Harshness - [/b]Like previously mentioned, rotate your coals and pull if needed. Also, make sure you're packing your bowls correctly. (use search function for more information) Remember, heat management is a HUGE factor in session quality.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...