Does Water Level Really Make A Difference?

okay considering that there is enough to submerge the end of the downstem and not so much your hose is sucking up water, does water level really make a difference?

I don't think it makes a difference in the flavor of the smoke. I have heard of other people accidentally smoking without water and not noticing. As far as temperature, I think it has a minimal difference. I think most of the temperature change comes from contact with the downstem and the base. The biggest difference is in the pull and the sound. I like a good bit of resistance when I smoke so I fill the base a couple of inches over the downstem. I get a loud rumble in my base and my tray rattles.

I'm with ray and chris on this one. I've filled my QT low high and all thats in between and haven't noticed anything. and if you have a diffuser they recommend the water even higher to cover the diffuser so i'm not seeing how it could matter unless you are getting water through your hose..lol

I have mine filled up right below the point of it sucking up the hose port. Which is probably about 1.5 inches above the end of my stem. I wouldn't want any less or more water in my base than that, as I want as much of a filter as possible with the water, and I obviously dont want water in my hose. There really isn't that much room to play with..

[quote name='Barnaby' date='11 May 2010 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1273603289' post='467620']I have mine filled up right below the point of it sucking up the hose port. Which is probably about 1.5 inches above the end of my stem. I wouldn't want any less or more water in my base than that, as I want as much of a filter as possible with the water, and I obviously dont want water in my hose. There really isn't that much room to play with..[/quote]
on my km if i dont put enough water it smoke weak the entire time i always put it at the same level which is about 2-3 inches about the bottom of the stem if its less it smokes so weak

the only hookah that it makes a difference in for me isthe shitty chinese one i have....but in all of myquality hookah's, i've noticed no difference.

Like [font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="3"][color="#5D5D5D"][size=2]Skoozle, I like to have a bit of resistance when I pull. I don't really like that easy to pull, empty feeling you get when the water level is low.[/size][/color][/size][/font]

You can barely see through my vase and I'm sure i never get the water level the same every time but i never notice anything different. As long as the water is not too low or to high i don't think it affects anything.

I prefer to use only enough water, to permit an easy "pull". Too much water = too much work!

For those, that say too little/much water makes it smoke bad....can you provide insight on how the water level can ultimately effect the vapor that is formed from the bowl? just thinking about it, the vapor seems to make very minimal contact with the water anyways...

[quote name='Arcane' date='12 May 2010 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1273686764' post='467784']
For those, that say too little/much water makes it smoke bad....can you provide insight on how the water level can ultimately effect the vapor that is formed from the bowl? just thinking about it, the vapor seems to make very minimal contact with the water anyways...
[/quote]

As far as my experience goes: the less water, the thicker the smoke tends to be. There's less filtration that way I believe...

[quote name='Arcane' date='12 May 2010 - 10:52 AM' timestamp='1273686764' post='467784']
[/quote]

Your guess is as good as mine. But time and time again the session favors more water in the base, for me atleast. Maybe it has something to do with people's slight variations in packing?

the more water in the base, the more pressure you'd need to create in the hose/in the base for the smoke to get pulled through, so it seems like less water = easier pull, bigger volume of smoke coming through faster, but there's less contact between smoke and water. whether or not that makes a significant difference in filtering out substances is beyond me [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/unknown.gif[/img]

ok, so interesting thing happened today. i got my package from ss (!) and my roomies and i lit up a bowl of baja blue. we had our water level up about an inch over the stem (35" km pear), and maybe 10 minutes in, the smoke hadn't gotten very thick, and one of my buddies got impatient and decided to add ~1/2 cup (1-1.5") of water to the base. the very next pull, we started getting huge, thick clouds that continued throughout the rest of the session

maybe there's less room in the base, so the smoke is more dense? or it could've been that the smoke cooled off more due to the extra water

but yea, i've tried altering water levels before and have never seen such a drastic change

[quote name='elsemyano' date='14 May 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1273874494' post='468113']
ok, so interesting thing happened today. i got my package from ss (!) and my roomies and i lit up a bowl of baja blue. we had our water level up about an inch over the stem (35" km pear), and maybe 10 minutes in, the smoke hadn't gotten very thick, and one of my buddies got impatient and decided to add ~1/2 cup (1-1.5") of water to the base. the very next pull, we started getting huge, thick clouds that continued throughout the rest of the session

maybe there's less room in the base, so the smoke is more dense? or it could've been that the smoke cooled off more due to the extra water

but yea, i've tried altering water levels before and have never seen such a drastic change
[/quote]

I don't see how that would make any sense :( Just don't see any logic behind that!

[quote name='Jaffi' date='14 May 2010 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1273877117' post='468121']
[quote name='elsemyano' date='14 May 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1273874494' post='468113']

[/quote]

I don't see how that would make any sense :( Just don't see any logic behind that!
[/quote]

me neither! i told him it wouldn't work. he did it anyway and rubbed it in my face when we started getting huge clouds, haha.

Ok, 2 things here that I have noticed with playing with water levels.
1. Control of draw, whether you like easy flow or a little more "bubble" id call it.
2. Amount of smoke stored within the vase, meaning less water more volume for more smoke thicker. More water, less smoke stored in the vase.

Just something Ive noticed personally.

[quote name='joytron' date='11 May 2010 - 11:33 AM' timestamp='1273599198' post='467610']
okay considering that there is enough to submerge the end of the downstem and not so much your hose is sucking up water, does water level really make a difference?
[/quote]

I actually like it a bit more submerged then not, I feel I get more "fresh" pulls...I don't know, its minimal and personal preference. If your on a smaller hookah though, more water = more chance of blowing water back up while purging and killing your whole bowl :)

[quote name='elsemyano' date='14 May 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1273877953' post='468122']
[quote name='Jaffi' date='14 May 2010 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1273877117' post='468121']

[/quote]

[/quote]

me neither! i told him it wouldn't work. he did it anyway and rubbed it in my face when we started getting huge clouds, haha.
[/quote]

Did you leave the coals on the bowl? I've noticed some shisha needs time to warm up before it starts putting out clouds.

[b]It does make a difference for me.[/b]
[b]I personally prefer the water to be a little over where it has to go, the smoke gets thicker and I have to inhale a bit slower.[/b]