Smoked Hookah Wrong, Really Scared, Can Any Experienced Smokers Help?

about 4 days ago, I was smoking hookah with some friends in my car. we were using quick lighting coals. when i would light one, i would immediately smoke the smoke that came off of it, not wary of the dangers. i did this maybe 6-8 times. i didnt think this was too bad, but for the past 4 days ive felt really really out of it with brain fog, memory loss, coordination problems, and overall mental confusion. i went the ER yesterday and they took blood tests and found nothing irregular in my blood. i just would like to know if i did any permanent damage to myself and if i'll be back to normal soon... what should i do. thank you so much.

There shouldn't be any permanent damage... Sounds like you know what your mistake was and you won't do it again. Just take it easy and you'll start feeling better. :)

Oh, and welcome to HF!

thanks! :D

the reassurance is really helpful!

and i'll remember to do it right when i get back to smoking!

if anyone else has any helpful information, maybe possible heavy metal poisoning information, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone!

yes this has happened to me couple of weeks ago...I was also irritable...maybe it is the qls coz I havent had it in a while since switching to natural (coconaras/ch nats) I felt like I had a hard time processing what I had to do next or was doing...weird...I guess I was smoking 3 bowls for 3 days straight trying some stuff out and heat management...too much smoke I guess

[quote name='regis313' date='10 May 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1273520994' post='467467']

if anyone else has any helpful information, maybe possible heavy metal poisoning information, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone!

[/quote]

Definitely not heavy metal poisoning, CO poisoning is highly likely though. Just do like Rivet said and you'll be feeling better in no time.

[quote name='Josh Hamilton' date='10 May 2010 - 01:51 PM' timestamp='1273521097' post='467468']
yes this has happened to me couple of weeks ago...I was also irritable...maybe it is the qls coz I havent had it in a while since switching to natural (coconaras/ch nats) I felt like I had a hard time processing what I had to do next or was doing...weird...I guess I was smoking 3 bowls for 3 days straight trying some stuff out and heat management...too much smoke I guess
[/quote]

Yeah this is exactly whats going on. how long did it last for you? cause its been going on for about 4 or 5 days now.

^^probably for 3-4 days had to force myself to take a break....just switched to starbuzz (low nic) and I think i received my nat charcs by then...havent been doing more than 1x bowl lately ( not everyday just whenever) so I guess Im back on track(too many maybes here...could be just CO) Edited by Josh Hamilton

[quote name='Josh Hamilton' date='10 May 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1273521726' post='467471']
^^probably for 3-4 days had to force myself to take a break....just switched to starbuzz (low nic) and I think i received my nat charcs by then...havent been doing more than 1x bowl lately ( not everyday just whenever) so I guess Im back on track
[/quote]

ehh that kinda sucks cause i went cold turkey and i'm still not doin any better. =/

well i'll let you guys know what happens. i'm seein a neurologist tomorrow and hopefully its something else.

Excercise should definitely help with getting you o2/CO levels back to normal. If your bloods have come back as fine, then there shouldnt be any permenant damage. The advice given here is sound, consider having a hookah break for a while. Get plently of sleep, fluids etc. If it doesnt resolve, see the doctor again!

Yours truely

The cool(est) pharmacy student :)

Well guys, just an update, i feel absolutely no different today.. =/

i'm seeing a neurologist at 4 and i'll see if i can get some answers there.

just wondering, why can you rule out heavy metal poisoning as a possible explanation?
it just seems like i have a lot of those symptoms, can anyone give me some facts about heavy metal poisoning and why i couldn't have it.
thanks

[quote name='regis313' date='11 May 2010 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1273601879' post='467616']

just wondering, why can you rule out heavy metal poisoning as a possible explanation?
it just seems like i have a lot of those symptoms, can anyone give me some facts about heavy metal poisoning and why i couldn't have it.
thanks

[/quote]

He's gonna say "wut, you been huffin paint son!" And you'll say "NO I JUST LIT INSTA COALS IN A DAMN CAR!"

Genius.

Hope it all turns out well, but be Rational please.

[quote name='regis313' date='11 May 2010 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1273601879' post='467616']

thanks
[/quote]

Um, people here are ruling out heavy metal poisoning because you asked and everyone here on the forum thinks they know what they are talking about.

Plus, hookah is healthier than breathing air and no one here is addicted.

Unfortunately, your original post sounds like a joke, but if it isn't, then your doing the right thing going to a neurologist rather than asking some random people on a hookah forum.

Try drinking enough alcohol to get yourself reallly drunk....it may not make you better, but you probably won't care anymore. :D

Repeat as often as necessary. Edited by Arcane

[quote name='shalowlow' date='12 May 2010 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1273685777' post='467775']
[quote name='regis313' date='11 May 2010 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1273601879' post='467616']

thanks
[/quote]

Um, people here are ruling out heavy metal poisoning because you asked and everyone here on the forum thinks they know what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, your original post sounds like a joke, but if it isn't, then your doing the right thing going to a neurologist rather than asking some random people on a hookah forum.
[/quote]

This. Any doctor would know better than all of us (probably combined)

My school did research on both hookah CO levels and metals (mostly aluminum) found in the base water. While the tests on the metals were inconclusive, everything we tested showed absolutely no metals in the base water.

It would also help to know what kind of hookah you were using, so we know what it's made out of.

This thread is starting to smell like a troll... In any case, the OP inhaled the smoke from the QL coals directly after lighting them (if I read his posts correctly).

[quote name='Tom16689' date='12 May 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1273688291' post='467795']
[quote name='shalowlow' date='12 May 2010 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1273685777' post='467775']

thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

This. Any doctor would know better than all of us (probably combined)

My school did research on both hookah CO levels and metals (mostly aluminum) found in the base water. While the tests on the metals were inconclusive, everything we tested showed absolutely no metals in the base water.

It would also help to know what kind of hookah you were using, so we know what it's made out of.
[/quote]

The quick lighting coals use some combination of combustable fuel to quick light. No offense but that is some nasty smoke coming off of those coals when self - lighting. I don't know of anyone who would consider actually using them before the self lighting process stopped.

I feel for your condition and no offense, but sucking down self lighting coal smoke from multiple coals is not the smartest move. Now the self lighting coal manufactureres will have to put a disclaimer on their box.............

seriously.. not trolling in any way. just looking for some answers. i wouldn't waste my time like this just to be an asshole haha.

i went to the eye doctor and everything checked out but apparently my optic nerve is pretty swollen. not quite sure what that indicates but it doesn't sound to reassuring.

[quote name='Tom16689' date='10 May 2010 - 02:53 PM' timestamp='1273521226' post='467469']
[quote name='regis313' date='10 May 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1273520994' post='467467']

[/quote]

Definitely not heavy metal poisoning, CO poisoning is highly likely though. Just do like Rivet said and you'll be feeling better in no time.
[/quote]

CO poisoning was my first thought too...but wouldn't blood test indicate?

[quote name='regis313' date='12 May 2010 - 01:31 PM' timestamp='1273696270' post='467816']
seriously.. not trolling in any way. just looking for some answers. i wouldn't waste my time like this just to be an asshole haha.

i went to the eye doctor and everything checked out but apparently my optic nerve is pretty swollen. not quite sure what that indicates but it doesn't sound to reassuring.

[/quote]

why the eye doctor, how can they help after inhaling mass amounts of insatalight smoke?
Maybe i read something wrong?
Anyhoo...i did somethig like that once upon a time. the feeling went away eventually