Epoxy Smell Worries

Kyro

Hay guys just wanted your opinion on part of a hook I’m building.

I used a layer of loctite epoxy to add strength to the lid at the point where the stem connects to the base, leaving about 10 or so square inches of exposed epoxy. About 24 hours after when I was doing the final assembly I noticed that the base reeked of epoxy and made the call to try and find a replacement to the lid. However 2 days later after letting the piece air out, that chemical epoxy smell seems to be gone.

TL/DR Will loctite epoxy that has been cured or several days be safe to use on the inside of a hookah when that sweat chemical smell is gone? Or will it continue to leach trace chemicals even when hardened?

I don't think the Epoxy is anything to worry about. I used it on a hookah I built and hadn't noticed and side effects from it. The only thing I'd be worried about with epoxy is getting it hot, but from what you described, that doesn't seem like the case.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='dizzbizz' date='26 April 2010 - 03:04 AM' timestamp='1272269087' post='465476']
I don't think the Epoxy is anything to worry about. I used it on a hookah I built and hadn't noticed and side effects from it. The only thing I'd be worried about with epoxy is getting it hot, but from what you described, that doesn't seem like the case.
[/quote]

Just make sure you pick an epoxy that is marked as dishwasher safe and you should have no worries. I use Loctite Ultra.