Can We Do Something About Chat...

Chreees

Okay, so I like it how Chat is on the homepage and all and I think it's important to have it there for noobs to ask questions until they find the Chat tab at the top, but I was wondering if we could do something... I remember how when the forum switched over we lost the chat on homepage but I really liked the Chat that we had when you clicked the Chat tab at the top where it opened a new window. Yes, we have that now to be able to open Chat in a new tab or window and view it big, but it doesn't work as nicely as the other one did. The Chat we had right after the switchover had no lag, didn't automatically scroll back down when someone typed, and had sound notification options. It was quite nice. .us has this chat now that they've upgraded. Reminded me of why I missed the old one here. So is there any way we can get that Chat back for the tab at the top but still have a small chat window on the homepage? Right now the Chat on the tab is just like the homepage one, just bigger. I'd like it if we could eliminate the lag and auto-scroll, mainly.

-Chris

[quote name='delSol_si' date='26 April 2010 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1272294532' post='465502']
the thing I hated about that chat is I had to click on the typing bar EVERY time i wanted to type something, got annoying as shit.
[/quote]

Didn't for me... I don't think anyway... been a while since we've had that one...

[quote name='Allstar' date='28 April 2010 - 04:02 PM' timestamp='1272488534' post='465891']
if you want it bigger just click under the last post your mouse should become a line and drag it to the size you want.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know about that. That's not the reason why I'm asking if we can change it back to the old chat that we previously had right after the forum upgraded. That chat had no lag and didn't automatically scroll back down when someone submitted a new shout. This is bothersome if you're trying to go back and read posts... I want to keep the same shoutbox we have on the homepage, but change the chat that you see when you click the "Hookah Chat" tab at the top back to how it used to be, if it's possible.

• 2 weeks later...
speaking of chat, can you get rid of the idle counter? or extend it to an obscenely long time? i hate having to click that button every 10 minutes while i'm watching tv...

What Jay's talking about is how you have to click "I'm Back" after like 10 minutes of not being active on Chat. I agree it's kind of annoying.

Any update on getting the "Hookah Chat" tab back to the chat version like how it used to be after the forum upgrade? I'm tired of the laaaaaaaaaag.

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='15 May 2010 - 02:00 AM' timestamp='1273906853' post='468153']
What Jay's talking about is how you have to click "I'm Back" after like 10 minutes of not being active on Chat. I agree it's kind of annoying.

Any update on getting the "Hookah Chat" tab back to the chat version like how it used to be after the forum upgrade? I'm tired of the laaaaaaaaaag.
[/quote]

i agree it is annoying, but i think this saves on bandwidth or something like that. could be wrong though

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='15 May 2010 - 07:01 AM' timestamp='1273942867' post='468184']
Ah, if that's the case then it sounds like something we need...
[/quote]
i doubt it....

the data should only be called from the server when it has to be displayed....since chat is hardly every busy, having 2-3 or even 10 people idling in chat shouldn't have a big impact in the overall amount of traffic generated....

• 2 months later...
can we get a notification sound? i may drift off and look at something else or be watching tv at times and miss half a conversation that i even started

[quote name='IainUM' date='14 August 2010 - 02:46 AM' timestamp='1281772012' post='478853']
can we get a notification sound? i may drift off and look at something else or be watching tv at times and miss half a conversation that i even started
[/quote]

The chat that we got earlier this year where you had to click the "Hookah Chat" tab and open it in a new tab or window (there was no integrated chat on the homepage at this time) did make a "ploop" noise when someone entered a message. It also made a doorbell sound when someone entered. I wish we could get this version of Chat back for just that tab up top, and keep the chat like it is on the homepage...

that'd be amazing, especially for the kinda slow nights, so people don't miss the few messages that get sent

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='14 August 2010 - 04:45 AM' timestamp='1281786331' post='478862']
[quote name='IainUM' date='14 August 2010 - 02:46 AM' timestamp='1281772012' post='478853']
[/quote]

The chat that we got earlier this year where you had to click the "Hookah Chat" tab and open it in a new tab or window (there was no integrated chat on the homepage at this time) did make a "ploop" noise when someone entered a message. It also made a doorbell sound when someone entered. I wish we could get this version of Chat back for just that tab up top, and keep the chat like it is on the homepage...
[/quote]
yeah the caht we have now is IPB integrated shoutbox chat

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1283544572' post='481172']
Yeah, I know ezxen.... And the shoutbox sucks. It's still lagging. No wonder everyone likes Tinychat... If we could get that good fast Chat back, we'd be in business.
[/quote]

This ^

I miss the old chat

• 2 weeks later...
I miss the HFC. Ahh the good ole days :P Mush you might want to ask em if they want my old chat script. Ill check if there is a new version out, and ill just give em my copy to use. It was a much better and faster chat, and if it was integrated it would be 100% better then back then.

[quote name='EvansLight' timestamp='1284446120' post='482108']
I miss the HFC. Ahh the good ole days :P Mush you might want to ask em if they want my old chat script. Ill check if there is a new version out, and ill just give em my copy to use. It was a much better and faster chat, and if it was integrated it would be 100% better then back then.
[/quote]

i'll ask adrock. ive asked him about a few things, still waiting to hear from him.

[quote name='ezxen' timestamp='1281967358' post='479137']
[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='14 August 2010 - 04:45 AM' timestamp='1281786331' post='478862']
[/quote]

[/quote]
yeah the caht we have now is IPB integrated shoutbox chat
[/quote]

for those who dont realize, this is a IPB powered board. :)

• 1 month later...