No Smoking Rules

so me and my buddy are looking to move into a place which (i think) has a no smoking rule, and i was wondering if anyone lives in any apartments or what ever that has a similar rule. if it does, do you get hassled at all for smoking you hookah inside? 

im in an apartment now, but im not sure we have that rule. i see people smokin outside all the time. i smoke my hookah inside about everyday. the way i see it, you pay rent, you should be able to to do whatever you want. haha. i have all my pipes in the living room and nobody's said anything yet

i have an apartment and i dunno what the rule is...i smoke hookah all the time in there but never let anyone smoke cigarettes in my apartment because on the lease it said if they smell cigs in there i may get charged anywhere from $100-$500.....but hookah smelling so non cigaretty is fine....you should be ok...if you are super curious ask the people in the leasing office..wouldnt wanna get evicted for something as miniscule as smoking a hookah

It actually depends on your state and local laws. Most give you nearly equal rights to owning the property if you're paying rent and some complexes pass rules they know they can't enforce legally, but they hope for the best. You have the check the conditions of your lease comparable to the applicable laws to get a real answer. Just remember they can choose not to renew your lease, or even to break it if they're willing to pay the penalty allowable by law for any reason - even the color of your hair. Personally I'd be upfront about it so it doesn't came back on your ass later anyway. Property managers who are unhappy with you can do some pretty heavy damage to your reputation and even your credit report if you get on their bad side.

'Rani

In my experiences with apartment complexes (and I've dealt with WAY too many) the no smoking rule is there as a means of keeping your security deposit or charging you for damages after you move out.

So long as you don't have rediculously nosey neighbors and you keep from burning the carpet you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Usually these complexes are looking for cigarette burns on the carpet and that nasty lingering smell you get with cigs and cigars. Hookahs don't usually leave such odor.

I wouldn't worry about being evicted unless you are being overtly obviously and stupid about it. I know in my state (Florida) it's actually quite dificult to actually evict someone. Pay your rent on time and you should be golden.

I'd be wary of mentioning it to the apartment office. If they make note of the fact you smoke something in your place, they may be more hardcore on the final inspection upon moving out.

This is all opinion of cource. I'm no lawyer, but I play one on....oh forget it. LOL

[quote name='Deutsch am Herzen' date='22 April 2010 - 11:39 PM' timestamp='1271997545' post='465028']
im in an apartment now, but im not sure we have that rule. i see people smokin outside all the time. i smoke my hookah inside about everyday. the way i see it, you pay rent, you should be able to to do whatever you want. haha. i have all my pipes in the living room and nobody's said anything yet
[/quote]

have to disagree with you. cigg smoke ruins the value of any property. I refuse to ever buy or even live in a place that even slightly smells of ciggs. I also refuse to buy a car that smells like ciggs. There is no way to get that smell completely out. The landlords are jsut trying to protect the value of their investment.

do I think hookah smoke is bad? no, it doesn't smell bad like ciggs do.

As a smoker of both I can tell you this.My complex has no rules about it but I do. Cigarette smoke while smelling good fresh is evil stale. Hookah "vapor" is a completely different by-product and smells pleasant fresh and nonexistent after an hour. That being said I cigarettes outside and the hookah inside.I don't allow cigarette smoking in my house or my car.
Ray

If I were you, I wouldn't even mention it to them because later on, they might accuse you of burning the carpet (even if you were extra extra careful not to). It gives them the power to try to keep your security deposit after you leave. However, if you decide to let them know about it, take detailed pictures of the carpet just before you move. This way you will have proof that you didn't cause any damage to the property.

I had an incident like that when I was living in an apartment. The management tried to tell me that I stole the window valences when the place didn't have any when I moved in. Those bastards kept my security deposit, and I moved out of that complex. Edited by thatonethere

Man, the smoking laws are so strict where I live in California, that some complexes I was looking at didn't even let you smoke on the balcony. But their reasoning was good. People have bad allergies especially to smoke. Say someone has their windows open above you (and im talkin about cigarettes and hookah here) then the smoke goes into their house even when ur on ur patio. And yea your paying to live there, but so are they. You have to remember that this is what you get for living in an apartment. You have to hear your neighbors and you have to be curtious. Just the way it is. And hookah smoke, although you cant smell it after a bit, does leave smoke particles in the air. Thats what causes ur neighbors to have their allergies act up. Or maybe not even allergies, maybe they have a little kid. Smoke of any sort isn't good for kid's developing lungs. So don't move into an apartment that doesn't allow you to smoke, simple as that. It's not even about getting caught or getting your deposit taken from you. It's about being decent and actually giving a shit about what other people have to deal with, because of your impact on their life.

That being said, if the apartment allows smoking, go at it. Because even if your neighbors have a problem with it, then they shouldn't have moved into a place that allows smoking. Thats their fault.