Xbox 360 Or Ps3?

Capt. Morgan

I've had a 360 for a few years now and it finally red ringed. Warranty is gone on it so I'd have to pay to get it fixed. Been considering getting a PS3 instead. Any thoughts, opinions, or arguments or/against? I'd like to keep fanboy-ism to a minimum.

Both are quality, although PS3 is now starting to show some benefits into the future, for example ff13 being 4 discs on xbox and only 1 on ps3. For most people it comes down to what their friends play. After that most people choose upon what games they want, even though most are on all platforms.

xbox 360 still has the better online gameplay, cheaper price, larger base of games, more exclusives, has begun taking exclusives such as the square enix series final fantasy from the playstation company, and more quality in terms of acessories etc.

playstation 3 only has blueray as its benefit which you can pick up for between 70-100 on ebay and not have to spend the overprice cost of the ps3...

NOTE: I am not a fanboy to either company, i have owned both consoles and have sold both consoles.... i only game on a PC Rig now.

single person is still just as good on xbox 360.

Another +1 to PS3, one of the main and only reasons i purchased it was the game "Little Big Planet" which gave me endless hours of fun

i dunno...i'm definitely not a fan boy of either....in fact, i hardly play them at all....but, i can tell you this...

the main menu thing on the PS3 is 100 times more frustrating than on the 360...also, the controller on the PS3 is very uncomfortable for my hands...i have fairly small hands too. the 360 controller just seems more spacious....also, the games seem more entertaining on the 360 than the PS3...however, i'm really really enjoying Heavy Rain right now (which is only on the PS3)...

in my very unexperienced opinion, i'd get the 360....it just seems....better.

PS3 has blu-ray though and that's a bonus. :)

my 2cents.
do you want a blue ray player? if yes then ps3.
if not then 360.

personally i have a 360. ps3 just did not have anything on it when i was buying that 360 didnt have already. although now that i have been off the WoW for about a month I am desperately seeking games that 360 doesnt have....

[quote name='A13lackFish' date='13 April 2010 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1271208868' post='463511']
xbox 360 still has the better online gameplay, cheaper price, larger base of games, more exclusives, has begun taking exclusives such as the square enix series final fantasy from the playstation company, and more quality in terms of acessories etc.

playstation 3 only has blueray as its benefit which you can pick up for between 70-100 on ebay and not have to spend the overprice cost of the ps3...

NOTE: I am not a fanboy to either company, i have owned both consoles and have sold both consoles.... i only game on a PC Rig now.
[/quote]

The Playstation 3 also had integrated wireless, which costs extra on the 360, and adds that silly antenna. I agree that the 360 controller is more comfortable, and the stick layout is easier on my hands for prolonged use. I like the fact that the triggers are somewhat shielded on the 360, as it makes it less likely that they will accidentally be pulled when I set the controller down. The charge cord for the PS3 is a standard USB to USB Micro cable, which is great in the event of a replacement. But, by the same token, the ability to use either Microsoft packs or regular old AA's makes the 360 Controller more versatile. Considering all the features on the PS3, such as wireless, free internet, a much more easily manipulated browser, blu-ray capability, etc., 299 is hardly "overpriced". I've owned both consoles, and am currently playing the 360 on my other monitor; I'd say talk to your friends. Play as a guest on live, look at the games from a release list and see what titles you want to play, and which console they're affiliated with. Have a look at Blu-ray on a really nice TV, see if it makes a difference to you. Honestly, I say get both, but if that's not an option, try them out and get which you want.

[quote name='A13lackFish' date='13 April 2010 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1271208868' post='463511']
more exclusives,

[/quote]

True. but ps3's are better...

[img]http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/images/2007/09/21/metal_gear_solid_4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://gamerdork.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/killzone-2-logo.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.co-optimus.com/images/upload/image/resistance2monster.jpg[/img]

[img]http://cache-08.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/09/500x_gran-turismo-5-screenshots-0909-3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.therefinedgeek.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/uncharted-2-among-thieves1.jpg[/img]

i completely forgot about integrated wireless, its a pity that playstation has such a shitty online community to play with to accompany it or they may have actually had something there....hence why i didnt bother including it.

and as par to exclusives? lets not forget:
Dead Rising:
[img]http://www.ps3blog.net/wp-content/uploads/dr2-copy.gif[/img]
Fable 2
[img]http://alteredconfusion.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/fable2combat.jpg[/img]
Halo 3
[img]http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/halo3_032.jpg[/img]
Gears of War 1 and 2...
[img]http://www.newyork-tokyo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/gears_of_war.jpg[/img]
Lost Odyssey
[img]http://www.gameguru.in/images/lost-odyssey-xbox-360-1.jpg[/img]
Since you pulled the turismo... Forza Motorsport 3
[img]http://www.xboxinsider.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Forza-Motorsport-3-Limited-Edition.png[/img]

And quite a few more to boot.....

Either way if i had to pick id grab a box of X's

I have a feeling this isn't going to end any time soon. You can't go wrong either way, and either way you're going to miss some stuff that the other one has. Flip a coin, or get drunk and make a hasty decision.

Well... when you count in that the PS3 has blu-ray built-in, and wireless capability right out of the box, $299 no longer seems very high for getting that. You have to pay extra to make your 360 wireless and then pay for the online, whereas PS3 online is completely free. Reason why 360 has better support for online is because people pay for it...duh. I don't do online enough to warrant paying for it. Uncharted 2 is the only game I play online (hella fun, btw). PS3 is getting better games and more exclusives, so that no longer seems to be much of an issue.

I don't know... all my friends come crying and bitching to me when their 360 red-rings on them, asking me what they should do, or seeming like they want sympathy from me... I just say, "Should've gotten a PS3."

And no, I'm obviously not a Sony fanboy whatsoever... :P

*This coming from a guy who's owned all three PlayStation systems since he was 5 when PS1 came out, lol. NONE have ever given me ANY problems.*

P.S. Get a Slim...

I Like 360s myself (although I haven't played it in forever), if you already have an extensive game library for the 360 then I think it would be kind of stupid to get a PS3, and if you really want to play blu-rays get a blu-ray drive for your PC.

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='14 April 2010 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1271282100' post='463665']
Well... when you count in that the PS3 has blu-ray built-in, and wireless capability right out of the box, $299 no longer seems very high for getting that. You have to pay extra to make your 360 wireless and then pay for the online, whereas PS3 online is completely free. Reason why 360 has better support for online is because people pay for it...duh. I don't do online enough to warrant paying for it. Uncharted 2 is the only game I play online (hella fun, btw). PS3 is getting better games and more exclusives, so that no longer seems to be much of an issue.

I don't know... all my friends come crying and bitching to me when their 360 red-rings on them, asking me what they should do, or seeming like they want sympathy from me... I just say, "Should've gotten a PS3."

*This coming from a guy who's owned all three PlayStation systems since he was 5 when PS1 came out, lol. NONE have ever given me ANY problems.*

P.S. Get a Slim...
[/quote]

i somewhat laughed my ass of at this...

R.R.O.D is due to old consoles not getting proper heat management, so if you plan on buying a used early gen console then yes it will be slow and likely have issues

Online either way isnt an issue as he already claimed that he mainly wanted to play single player... and have you ever heard of an ethernet cord? i think they run for roughly 15 bucks for like a 50 ft one lol...

+Uncharted 2 i will defiantly give you, it is a great game.. but it wouldnt warrant buying a 300 console...

+ Agree with the slim, its a very nice console and a hell of alot more lightweight...

Also another point to remember is that PS3 except for the rare 60gb system is not fully 100% backwards comparable where as the 360 is.

And a final point is my question on these so called "better games" and more exclusives... name a few? cause otherwise your just misleading him with your fanboy attitude lol... cause as far as i remember as of recently xbox pc and ps all hold rights to resident evil, final fantasy, and nearly all other games... Yes other then uncharted which again i will give you is a good game..

btw, ps1 ftw, will always be my favorite console

by the way, blu ray drive for a pc is 65 dollars. its a sony and updates. I would know as i have one. and a regular one for your tv, which for the fact of the matter if capt. doesnt have a hd tv he will never need bluray, goes for around 75 dollars new on ebay and 65 used.

And i agree with the idea of just drunkenly deciding as im sick of having to rebute fanboys to try and keep this neutral lol :lol_hitting:

[quote name='A13lackFish' date='14 April 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1271297758' post='463688']
[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='14 April 2010 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1271282100' post='463665']

P.S. Get a Slim...
[/quote]

R.R.O.D is due to old consoles not getting proper heat management, so if you plan on buying a used early gen console then yes it will be slow and likely have issues

Online either way isnt an issue as he already claimed that he mainly wanted to play single player... and have you ever heard of an ethernet cord? i think they run for roughly 15 bucks for like a 50 ft one lol...

+Uncharted 2 i will defiantly give you, it is a great game.. but it wouldnt warrant buying a 300 console...

+ Agree with the slim, its a very nice console and a hell of alot more lightweight...

Also another point to remember is that PS3 except for the rare 60gb system is not fully 100% backwards comparable where as the 360 is.

And a final point is my question on these so called "better games" and more exclusives... name a few? cause otherwise your just misleading him with your fanboy attitude lol... cause as far as i remember as of recently xbox pc and ps all hold rights to resident evil, final fantasy, and nearly all other games... Yes other then uncharted which again i will give you is a good game..

[/quote]

Yes, as you can tell from my sarcasm in my post, I am very much a fanboy. And Microsoft has exclusive rights to Resident Evil and Final Fantasy games? Since when? I'm lazy and don't feel like typing a whole list, so here's a list of games and one of the columns is exclusive or not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games

Now, as for backwards compatibility.... I used to own a 60GB. I bought it just for that reason- to play my old PS2 games. Guess what? I never did. Why I got the Slim... More portable, looks nicer, etc... And as far as I know, if RROD was just a heat management issue, then Microsoft wouldn't have had to extend their warranty. Sure, PS3's die. But not at the same rate that 360's do. You don't see Sony being forced to put out a longer warranty period...

Lots of good points so far.

As stated I don't play online enough for it to really matter.
I don't have, but want a blu ray player.
I don't have a huge library of games to begin with so I don't mind getting rid of the ones I already have.
Conflicted on which system has better exclusives.
Getting my 360 fixed would be cheaper.
I was lucky and my xbox lasted for 4+ years but I'm leery about the hardware, I know people who're on their 5th 360.

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='14 April 2010 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1271298295' post='463691']
[quote name='A13lackFish' date='14 April 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1271297758' post='463688']

P.S. Get a Slim...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, as you can tell from my sarcasm in my post, I am very much a fanboy. And Microsoft has exclusive rights to Resident Evil and Final Fantasy games? Since when? I'm lazy and don't feel like typing a whole list, so here's a list of games and one of the columns is exclusive or not:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games"]http://en.wikipedia....Station_3_games[/url]

Now, as for backwards compatibility.... I used to own a 60GB. I bought it just for that reason- to play my old PS2 games. Guess what? I never did. Why I got the Slim... More portable, looks nicer, etc... And as far as I know, if RROD was just a heat management issue, then Microsoft wouldn't have had to extend their warranty. Sure, PS3's die. But not at the same rate that 360's do. You don't see Sony being forced to put out a longer warranty period...
[/quote]

i didnt say exclusive rights at all based on the resident evil or final fantasy... im just saying that two of their top selling initial exclusives have already made the jump to the 360 for the fact that A) its actually going somewhere due to its low costs etc and B) has a larger base of game players both online and not online

and yeah thats fine if youd like to pull the red ring of death argument (which rare to none happens with the new consoles unless your running the system 24/hours a day without turning it off), but the fact of the matter is its generally a more reliable, user friendly system.

Dont get me wrong though, if your a tech savey person there is plenty to be had with the ps3, it is a very nicely built console overall, it just isnt going as far as the xbox has and will continue to do until the next generation of consoles comes to light.

And no need to get a touchy fanboy attitude about it, im just stating the facts here on both systems as i have owned both and sold both.

[quote name='Capt. Morgan' date='15 April 2010 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1271308600' post='463711']
Lots of good points so far.

As stated I don't play online enough for it to really matter.
I don't have, but want a blu ray player.
I don't have a huge library of games to begin with so I don't mind getting rid of the ones I already have.
Conflicted on which system has better exclusives.
Getting my 360 fixed would be cheaper.
I was lucky and my xbox lasted for 4+ years but I'm leery about the hardware, I know people who're on their 5th 360.
[/quote]

And in reference to the repair, id sell the rrod'd console on ebay for a quick 60-70 bucks and put it towards one of the newer 360s at 130-150. You can at that same point also keep your memory unit from the top and just buy an arcade for around 100.

i would agree merely for the fact that he wants a blueray player and its a simple solution.

dont overheat it for the fact that yellow lights of death have been popping up lately. Id go with an older 80GB PS3 or a brand new slim (older slims seemed to have the small issues off the product line but they seemed to fix it)