Problems After Smoking

So about 4-5 days ago I got my hookah and smoked it with 3 other people. Mya QT, CH Instant Light Coals, and AF Strawberry the first time. I got a headache later after smoking but it wasn't too bad. The next day I smoked with 3 other people as well, we smoked Romman Mango and I got a little headache after, but later in the night it escalated to a really bad headache where it was almost unbearable. I guessed it was the nicotine since I havent smoked hookah in a long time. So today I went with 1 other person, packed a bowl of AF Vanilla and went to smoke, session lasted about an hour and my head was spinning. I stood up and started walking back to my dorm and after about walking 20 feet threw up twice (I had eaten about 30 min before, I can say the beef and egg noodles didnt taste as good coming back up). Now my head is still bothering me a little, but I took some Motrin to help. Is there something I can do to keep this from happening? I don't want to have to stop smoking hookah, but I dont want to get a headache after each time I smoke. Whenever I smoked before I never got a headache or vomited (though the nicotine might have been a lot lower since I usually used whatever cheep stuff we got at the corner store). I have some Hydro Herbal shisha (pineapple) so I might try that to see how I react. I am assuming since it doesn't have tobacco or nicotine then I wont get headaches after.

On a related note, from the flavors I have tried I like the AF Strawberry the best, then the AF Vanilla, and Romman Mango last.

I've had a headache a couple times after smoking but both sessions were four hours long (UFC fights) and had a couple beers. I felt like throwing up once when I smoked some AF alone but I hadn't eaten so I assumed that was the cause. But yeah make sure you eat and the coals are fully lit. Maybe take less hits per minute too. Could be a nicotine overload.

I made sure the coals were white all around before putting them on. I will try to drink more and take less hits per min though next time. It may have a lot to do with lack of water since I usually don't drink much water during the day, mostly at night.

I had the same problem way back when I started. After getting some ooutside opinions, I tried a few things. Obviously make sure your coals are fully lit, You seem to be doing that.

Secondly, I'd try to cut yoru hits down by a third. If your the kind of hookah smoker who takes monster hits when you get the hose, and then smoking alone will constantly/repeatadly take hits, your probably overwhelming yourself. Especially if you've just started hookah smoking.

Another possiblity is trying natural coals. I found that of the few times I smoked with natural coals, my side effects decreased dramatically.

Keep your smoking as far as your coals are concerned clean, and free of possible chemical interference. And other than that, I'd say try to back off on long/constant hits.

I had this same issue when i started smoking, and unfortunately i had no idea this forum existed then so i had to figure everything out myself. Everyone has had great info for you. i would suggest also trying natural coals, i only use wood or coconut coals. And try other brands of shisha. DRINK WATER. don't over smoke. If you start to feel light headed take a break. also with the AF check the expiration date if its a tub ofshisha. I bought a tub of AF vanilla recently and the expiration date was from a few months back....it still tasted ok but got me feeling pretty sick

[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' date='06 April 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1270609585' post='462300']
I had the same problem way back when I started. After getting some ooutside opinions, I tried a few things. Obviously make sure your coals are fully lit, You seem to be doing that.

Secondly, I'd try to cut yoru hits down by a third. If your the kind of hookah smoker who takes monster hits when you get the hose, and then smoking alone will constantly/repeatadly take hits, your probably overwhelming yourself. Especially if you've just started hookah smoking.

Another possiblity is trying natural coals. I found that of the few times I smoked with natural coals, my side effects decreased dramatically.

Keep your smoking as far as your coals are concerned clean, and free of possible chemical interference. And other than that, I'd say try to back off on long/constant hits.
[/quote]

The hits I am taking are prob too large now that you mention that, didn't really think of that. Will take smaller hits next time I smoke.

[quote name='agunn1231' date='06 April 2010 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1270610322' post='462302']
I had this same issue when i started smoking, and unfortunately i had no idea this forum existed then so i had to figure everything out myself. Everyone has had great info for you. i would suggest also trying natural coals, i only use wood or coconut coals. And try other brands of shisha. DRINK WATER. don't over smoke. If you start to feel light headed take a break. also with the AF check the expiration date if its a tub ofshisha. I bought a tub of AF vanilla recently and the expiration date was from a few months back....it still tasted ok but got me feeling pretty sick
[/quote]

Just got the AF in the mail a few days ago and they are 50g boxes, they should be fine expiration wise.

Well, I see plenty of good advices in this thread. As many others, I went through the same as I started smoking hookah. So I would agree with most tips already given and add that You should look for tobacco molasses that produce as little buzz as possible: I would strongly recommend [b]NAKHLA MIZO Peach flavour [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wub.gif[/img] [/b], or regular [b]NAKHLA Apricot[/b]. But other forum members will be able to tell You which tobacco molasses are easier, produce no buzz or very little. I thoroughly enjoyed NAKHLA MIZO Peach over Easter, smoking for a long time without becoming dizzy at all [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/Hookah.gif[/img] , while a few days before I had a rather bad experience with some (awful) ROMMAN Double Apple, which, besides not being great on taste, had the same effect as two bottles or wine, or quite a number of whiskies...
Anyway, I would say that the most important factor is [u][b]to reduce hits[/b][/u]: particularly at the beginning, when You start smoking and try to fill the upper part of the bottle with white smoke, you pull heavily, and it is easy to get dizzy, or even ill (in the beginning).[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/bad.gif[/img]

I forgot to say that I would also recommend to smoke in a well ventilated room, that is with windows or doors fully open, or, if possible, outside.

[quote name='Hookah-burgar' date='07 April 2010 - 09:20 AM' timestamp='1270650016' post='462377']
I forgot to say that I would also recommend to smoke in a well ventilated room, that is with windows or doors fully open, or, if possible, outside.
[/quote]

I always smoke outside since I cant smoke in my dorm or house. One of my friends decided to pull on the hose once when we were using someone elses hookah in my house and the coal fell on the floor and rolled all over the carpet melting it. Due to that my parents wont allow hookah to be smoked inside.

If you're going for a low buzz Tobacco, stay away from Nak and AF Mint flavors. I feel like when I smoke these two straight I get a major buzz. For someone who never gets buzz's that's quite an accomplishment.

Also, I'd suggest trying to ventilate the room you're in. I've been sick from hookah once before, and that was in a very small room with no ventilation.. And one other time I got a bit of a sick feeling was when I was experimenting with smoe coals in a closed room, so I've always blamed that.. :)

[quote name='joytron' date='14 April 2010 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1271273520' post='463651']
try not to constantly suck on the hose, get a breath of real air once in a while.
[/quote]

+1

You have to actually breathe some too when you're smoking hookah. We you described sounds like CO poising. Also make sure your coals are fully lit.

also - since alot of people think quick lights are good to go as soon as the spark is done - make sure that the coals are fully lit aka orange/red before putting them on the shisha to smoke.

cure - take a day off - fresh air and water.