Al-Rawda Café

Hassouni

[color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2][color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2][color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]
[img]http://www.bmivoyager.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/000.ppm_LARGE9.jpg[/img]

Atmosphere: 5 out of 5. Smoke nargile next to the sea! The place has actually been classed up since the above pic was taken, but its amazing location jutting out into the sea remains and gives it high marks. This is DEFINITELY a locals-only place, you won't find tourists of any kind here. The entrance is right next to the Luna Park on the Corniche.

Hookah: 4 out of 5. Standard Lebanese deal: small bowl, narrow Mya-type hose. That being said, it's at least as good as anything I can get in the states. They clearly pack right, and of course use natural coals. I ordered a apple, but was brought grape by accident...before I sent it back I could actually smell the grape without even smoking it. That's pretty good....(Not sure what kind of tobacco they use, but the grape smelled very Al-Fakher-y)

Service: 4 out of 5. Service in Beirut is never world class, this place isn't bad

Food: 4 out of 5. Properly legit Lebanese mezza, snacks, and grilled food. I got a bunch of food here, including shish taouk, vine leaves, hummus, all the standards, all excellent. They lose a point because they used to have alcohol, but the owner's son took over and decided it would be a dry establishment (I think he's more religious)[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2][color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]
Price: 5 out 5. Very reasonable. Food was cheap, the nargile was pretty cheap, I think around $7.

Overall recommendation: There are other places in Beirut to smoke overlooking the sea, but everywhere else is on high cliffs. Rawda is right at sea level, and they have a lot of seats right on the waterfront. Highly recommended to just chill there for an afternoon, enjoy the sunset, and relax[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Hassouni' date='05 April 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1270483392' post='461976']
[color="#5D5D5D"][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#5D5D5D"][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#5D5D5D"][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"]
[img]http://www.bmivoyager.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/000.ppm_LARGE9.jpg[/img]

Atmosphere: 5 out of 5. Smoke nargile next to the sea! The place has actually been classed up since the above pic was taken, but its amazing location jutting out into the sea remains and gives it high marks. This is DEFINITELY a locals-only place, you won't find tourists of any kind here. The entrance is right next to the Luna Park on the Corniche.

Hookah: 4 out of 5. Standard Lebanese deal: small bowl, narrow Mya-type hose. That being said, it's at least as good as anything I can get in the states. They clearly pack right, and of course use natural coals. I ordered a apple, but was brought grape by accident...before I sent it back I could actually smell the grape without even smoking it. That's pretty good....(Not sure what kind of tobacco they use, but the grape smelled very Al-Fakher-y)

Service: 4 out of 5. Service in Beirut is never world class, this place isn't bad

Food: 4 out of 5. Properly legit Lebanese mezza, snacks, and grilled food. I got a bunch of food here, including shish taouk, vine leaves, hummus, all the standards, all excellent. They lose a point because they used to have alcohol, but the owner's son took over and decided it would be a dry establishment (I think he's more religious)[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#5D5D5D"][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#5D5D5D"][font="tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"]
Price: 5 out 5. Very reasonable. Food was cheap, the nargile was pretty cheap, I think around $7.

Overall recommendation: There are other places in Beirut to smoke overlooking the sea, but everywhere else is on high cliffs. Rawda is right at sea level, and they have a lot of seats right on the waterfront. Highly recommended to just chill there for an afternoon, enjoy the sunset, and relax[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

• 7 months later...
[color="#333333"][font="tahoma"][size="2"][size="2"]UPDATE: as of October 2010.[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="tahoma"] [/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="tahoma"][size="2"][size="2"]The above pic is very old, some time ago some construction was put in, such that the garden is still under the sun, but the area around the seawall is closed in. Still nice though:
[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="tahoma"][size="2"][size="2"][img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs442.ash2/71549_646658084861_1002163_36177817_2551166_n.jpg[/img][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="tahoma"][size="2"][size="2"][img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs385.ash2/66368_646656927181_1002163_36177789_6607375_n.jpg[/img]

They have a variety of types of pipes on offer. This is a skinnier than normal argileh (grape/mint, presumably AF). Of COURSE they use real wood coals!
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs833.snc4/69368_592465542511_37003198_34553049_7283180_n.jpg[/img]

Frequented by all sorts of people, such as this guy next to us smoking Ajami without his hands, reading the newspaper. He did this for over an hour and didn't take the hose out of his mouth ONCE. What a manly man.
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs808.snc4/68871_646657650731_1002163_36177802_5311601_n.jpg[/img]
[/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="tahoma"][size="2"][size="2"]
This is the smoking menu. $1 = 1500 Lebanese Lira

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs092.ash2/37963_592465517561_37003198_34553048_3446442_n.jpg[/img][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="tahoma"][size="2"][size="2"]Mu'assal is 10,000 LL, or just under $7. I found out that nakha is like a flavored, lighter version of Ajami, smoked without foil. I still have no idea what ta'baya is. [/size][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="tahoma"][size="2"][size="2"]Slight update on the food: we ordered hummus, two minty lemonades, and a plate of carrots - which in this context means fresh cut carrot sticks sprinkled with salt and drizzled with lemon juice. With this, for free, they brought a HEAP of fresh bread, olives, nuts, and a "crudités tray" of sorts, with fresh cucumbers, mint, peppers, radishes, and God knows what else. A nice touch. [/size][/size][/font][/color]
[font="tahoma"][size="3"][color="#333333"][size="2"]I went again at sunset, and though I haven't been other times, I really can't imagine a better time to be there[/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font="tahoma"][size="3"] [/size][/font]
[font="tahoma"][size="3"][color="#333333"][size="2"]How to find it: there's a pretty big permanent fairground, the Luna Park, below the hill from the part of the Corniche known as Raouché, which is on cliffs. This is down the hill, near sea level, as you head downtown from Rouché. IMMEDIATELY after you pass the Luna Park (it's on the left side if headed downtown) is a small driveway for Rawda. I'm almost completely positive that the fairly recessed sign is in Arabic only, though it may be in English too. The Arabic would read: مقهى الروضة . If you're on foot, look for a driveway leading to a parking lot for what looks like a hedged in garden, that's it. [/size][/color][/size][/font]