Enlisting In The Military

So with the economy where it is and no real funds for university I'm gonna enlist in the Air force . My question is are there any enlisted men or woman here or those who know anything about being enlisted and smoking hookah .

I have a co-worker who came back and said he smoked hookah a few times while he was overseas.

This is the wrong part of the forum for this topic too, though. You might want to move it to Serious Discussion.

[quote name='KeepItSimple' date='01 April 2010 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1270105545' post='461218']
I have a co-worker who came back and said he smoked hookah a few times while he was overseas.

This is the wrong part of the forum for this topic too, though. You might want to move it to Serious Discussion.
[/quote]
I was debating over a serous discussion vS looking for info. As far as overseas Yeah family friend of my girlfreind who is a navy officer talked about smoking hookah overseas i never got around to asking him about smoking hookah while on base houseing and stuff like that thats what kind of info im looking for .

Smoking hookah is fine. We pulled two hookahs out on my last deployment. Smoking inside of base housing is not allowed, but I am sure you can get away with hookah like you would in an apartment because they wouldn't know. I wouldn't suggest inviting friends over to smoke inside, to likely they will rat you out. Just make sure you make no NHT references around them. Hookah is something that is borderline, but as long as you are squared away they shouldn't hassle you about it.

and Canon if when he pops up. His in the AF and smokes. Over in Japan now maybe the reason we don't see him as much.

smoking hookah in the air force is really no big deal i would highly advise against ever smoking it inside, but if you just take it outside to the smoke pit at the dorms if your living there you will be fine. i thinkit all depends on what base you live on. i know that being stationed here in germany and being in a cop most everyone has deployed to the desert and knows what hookah is and at most they may give you shit for it. again all depends on location like i also know that here in germany you can get in trouble for having your hookah out inn the open in your dorm room they dont care that you have it but they dont want to see it. if you live in family housing its a lot more laxed but still wouldnt smoke inside go out on the balcony to smoke. thats all i can really think of lol. i know that when i take a hookah to the dorms to smoke with a few friends it turns into a party cause everyone misses smoking hookah while downrange but never think to buy their own lol

There are no established rules prohibiting owning or smoking hookah, so long as you smoke in designated smoking areas. HOWEVER, the final decision ultimately falls on your change of command. If they disapprove of hookah and consider it an NHT device, they can tell you not to own one. The good news is, you are able to fight it. You would have to bring supporting documentation showing its accepted use among other things, showing that hookah is a very LEGAL form of smoking tobacco. If you have an ignorant or close-minded chain of command, you can always go above their heads and take the fight there.

Just a warning though; this will generally earn you a title as a “problem child” and some people in leadership positions believe in retribution. It is against regulations, but it still happens. You are able to fight that as well.

On the other side, you may have a knowledgeable chain of command (especially if they’ve been deployed before). They’ll see the hookah and know what it’s used for. My old first sergeant was never deployed, but didn’t really care as long as I wasn’t smoking NHT. When he conducted a room inspection, I had 10 hookahs out on display. He asked what they were? I answered “hookahs”. He asked, “Do you smoke NHT?” I said no. Conversation over.

Everything will depend on your leadership. Hopefully, you don’t have to deal with asshats like I’m dealing with right now. Or you can come work for me…enter the comm field and put Hawaii as your first duty station.

Fellow comms people, nice. Communications people are generally the best around the services, smart enough not to be grease monkeys but cool enough not to be number crunchers.

Enlisted Air Force, chiming in...

I work in Finance and stationed in San Antonio, TX. Had absolutely no problem smoking outside of my dorm (inside is a no-no, obviously). As most have said, many people know what they are from being deployed. Now that I've been out of the dorms for a few years, haven't smoked on base since...

That said, it's good knowing tons of people who are deployed who can bring you back loads of shisha. :)

I'm a TSgt currently deployed to Iraq.

I've had no problems smoking off duty. I was enjoying some AF Watermelon in my Mya last night. [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ylsuper.gif[/img]

What you have to realize is that your hookah smoking will pretty much cease until you arrive at your duty station.

You will not be allowed to smoke during BMT. In fact, you should pack as light as possible. Any contraband will be taken away, this includes lighters, matches, cigarettes, condoms, etc.

At tech school you won't be allowed to smoke until you reach a certain phase. For example, phase 1, day 1 means you're in uniform at all times, cannot smoke, cannot drink (if you're legal age), and cannot leave the base. Depending on where your tech school is, you probably won't be able to smoke until phase 3. Now, if your school is long (my PAFSC is 2A7X3 which is a 5 month school) you will reach phase 4 if you keep your nose clean. If you have a short tech school, such as admin, you might hit phase 3 right before you graduate.

My advice to you is to leave all of your hookah gear behind and have someone send it to you after you're out of the training pipeline and at your final destination.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Oh, and congratulations!!! [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/thewave.gif[/img]

in the military, you do your job, when you get off for the day, you can do what ever you want just as long as its not illegal or it affects your duty(*snort* i said duty...) when i was down in texas at fort sam houston training me and a group of friends hit up the Sultan hookah and grill every saturday. it was pretty sweet. i paid for the ride there, another firend paid for the hookah, and everyone else chipped in for the ride back. only problem was that we had to be back by 10pm and on some nights 9pm... DAMN YOU BED CHECK!!!! WHHHHHHYYYYYY!!!!!

also, new here whats up

a friend of mine just returned from ass-crack-istian he had a hookah over there... got a pic of it. i think hes infantry, hes got the hi speed equipment for it and a tacticool gun.

Pretty much what everyone else said. I can smoke in my house because theres nothing in the housing rulebook that stops me from smoking inside. Ive been to 2 bases and neither one had a problem with me smoking my hookah. Ive even brought my hookah to a party at our squadron bar a few times. You will have to give up hookah for a few months when you join though, but that shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Thanks for the info guys really appreciate it. Im still waiting till after my 21 first birthday and my parents 25th anniversary and my best friends 21st birthday before enlisting and knowing all this now is helping me prepare for the air force .

i'll go ahead and say it...even though the Air Force has provided me a comfortable way of life for nearly a decade...i think cons outweigh the benefits...i wouldn't recommend joining.

[quote name='ezxen' date='03 April 2010 - 04:40 AM' timestamp='1270258849' post='461593']
Thanks for the info guys really appreciate it. Im still waiting till after my 21 first birthday and my parents 25th anniversary and my best friends 21st birthday before enlisting and knowing all this now is helping me prepare for the air force .
[/quote]

Let me give you two pieces of advice that I urge you to consider:

#1 - Sign up for a guaranteed job, NOT "open general". If you don't have a guaranteed job, they will place you in a position based on their current manning needs. That means if you joined to fix airplanes, but don't have a guaranteed job, you might wind up in Services as a cook or security forces checking ID's all day long at the gate. Not fun. If your recruiter gives you any shit, walk away. Go find another AF recruiter.

#2 - Study, study, study. The higher your ASVAB score is, the more of a selection of career fields you will have. There are online resources and a plethora of ASVAB study guides you can purchase to prepare for the test.

If you like to fly, become an aerial refueler (aka "Boom Operator), Flight Engineer, or a Load Master. Air crews are the best taken care of on deployments and earn flight pay.

PM me if you have any questions.

[quote name='F16WarBird' date='03 April 2010 - 12:19 AM' timestamp='1270279181' post='461640']
[quote name='ezxen' date='03 April 2010 - 04:40 AM' timestamp='1270258849' post='461593']
[/quote]

#1 - Sign up for a guaranteed job, NOT "open general". If you don't have a guaranteed job, they will place you in a position based on their current manning needs. That means if you joined to fix airplanes, but don't have a guaranteed job, you might wind up in Services as a cook or security forces checking ID's all day long at the gate. Not fun. If your recruiter gives you any shit, walk away. Go find another AF recruiter.

#2 - Study, study, study. The higher your ASVAB score is, the more of a selection of career fields you will have. There are online resources and a plethora of ASVAB study guides you can purchase to prepare for the test.

If you like to fly, become an aerial refueler (aka "Boom Operator), Flight Engineer, or a Load Master. Air crews are the best taken care of on deployments and earn flight pay.

[/quote]
Mmmhmm Girlfriends family friend said the same thing make shure before i sign any papers its in teh feild i want or i might find myself on some security detail . As for the ASVAB before i even go see a recruiter gonna get the practice ASVAB book hopefully barns and noble has if not gonna check with borders .

[quote name='F16WarBird' date='03 April 2010 - 09:19 AM' timestamp='1270279181' post='461640']
[/quote]

#1 - Sign up for a guaranteed job, NOT "open general". If you don't have a guaranteed job, they will place you in a position based on their current manning needs. That means if you joined to fix airplanes, but don't have a guaranteed job, you might wind up in Services as a cook or [b]security forces checking ID's all day long at the gate[/b]. Not fun. If your recruiter gives you any shit, walk away. Go find another AF recruiter.

[/quote]

i am security forces and i take offense to that comment, i chose the career field and love it put me on aa gate all day you learn to have fun doing it lol. plus thats not all we do anyway lol