What Is The Best Charcoal For Smoking Shisha?

Coconara's are expensive and I've run out. Theres this brand a local shop sells, I think [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-451-al-ajdad-hookah-coals.html"]these[/url] are them. Does anyone know about them? I read the reviews but they're practically 50/50. I'm just trying to find a good substitute. I can get those fake silver Japanese coals but they suck.

Sorry, I don't mean to thread jack, I just thought I'd post a more specific question to try and get away from the coconara suggestions, cause I know they're good, but I don't want to blow $50 on charcoal right now.

Also are there any other natural coals people have tried and found to be good?

[quote name='dizzbizz' date='20 April 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1271830916' post='464549']
Coconara's are expensive and I've run out. Theres this brand a local shop sells, I think [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-451-al-ajdad-hookah-coals.html"]these[/url] are them. Does anyone know about them? I read the reviews but they're practically 50/50. I'm just trying to find a good substitute. I can get those fake silver Japanese coals but they suck.

Sorry, I don't mean to thread jack, I just thought I'd post a more specific question to try and get away from the coconara suggestions, cause I know they're good, but I don't want to blow $50 on charcoal right now.

[/quote]

Um there is a quicklight brand that is pretty good, Al Hind(green packaging) [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/31520-200-bucks-of-the-best-local-stock/page__p__382829__fromsearch__1&#entry382829"]http://www.hookahfor..._1&#entry382829[/url] (Thats them in the picture)

It's not the best, of course, but it works pretty well (And they are nice and big, one split in half is all you need for a small bowl until they ash out) and once you get the hang of ashing it it's a breeze (I like "shaving" it with my tongs instead of just thwacking it on the tray). They're my new go-to for when I'm between orders.
It's not natural of course, so I don't know if this will actually help you. Edited by bellydancerakn

[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' date='03 April 2010 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1270271626' post='461625']
going from a cheap quicklight (sultan ql) to coconaras was one of the best hookah-related transitions I ever made.xxx
[/quote]

+1 although I came from ql exoticas...then I switched to HD reynolds Edited by Josh Hamilton

[quote name='dizzbizz' date='21 April 2010 - 01:21 AM' timestamp='1271830916' post='464549']

[/quote]

@ you AND OP. use john's CH coals. nats and qls are both great. i use both, but prefer the naturals. buy by the case...only way to go. john's nats are like the old cocos in terms of shape, but last longer, imo.

[quote name='antouwan' date='22 April 2010 - 03:44 AM' timestamp='1271933065' post='464857']
[quote name='dizzbizz' date='21 April 2010 - 01:21 AM' timestamp='1271830916' post='464549']

[/quote]

@ you AND OP. use john's CH coals. nats and qls are both great. i use both, but prefer the naturals. buy by the case...only way to go. john's nats are like the old cocos in terms of shape, but last longer, imo.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, but I bought a kilo of the coals I posted a pic of and they're great. I put up a review of them too. I also bought a bag of Al Fakher's Lemon Wood Charcoal, but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. They seem to be in good sized chunks and I've heard great things about Lemon Wood coals.

Oh and those coals I posted a pic of are Olive Wood.

just got a box of CH instants. First nothing instant about them compared to 3 kings.they smoke like a bitch so I have to light them outside (unlike 3 kings) but they last longer once lit and are hotter than the sun.once this box is gone I am going back to the discs.
Ray

does noone else but me use golden coal quicklights? ive only been at hookah for a month or so, and theyre the only thing ive ever used, but i dont notice a weird taste or smell once theyre fully lit... i have a whole bag of romman lemonwood coals, but im too lazy to try lighting them to use.

personally im liking johns natty coals..but i had a pack of cocos(nats) before this and they were fine to. I just can't go back to the QLs anymore...they tasted like chemicals and pain last time i tried to use them again

[quote name='Barnaby' date='02 April 2010 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1270225227' post='461504']
[quote name='joytron' date='02 April 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1270221000' post='461486']
[quote name='Barnaby' date='02 April 2010 - 06:13 AM' timestamp='1270213996' post='461480']
[quote name='cotsi95' date='01 April 2010 - 02:47 AM' timestamp='1270104425' post='461212']
I only use Golden Canaries/ Fumari's. I love them and refuse to use anything else. :D
[/quote]

I just got my first batch of Golden Canaries, and they may very well replace Coco's as my favorite coal. They tend to be much less of a pain on having to constantly flip and rotate them vs. the cocos. They give off great heat for Tangiers, to the point where I'm not worried about burning the shisha like with cocos. I do not like the ash they give off though. But, what is cool, even though it kinda wastes a coal, I just keep one burning in my charcoal carrier, then I can light the next round of coals right there, without having to go to the stove. I did 3 rounds of coals like this the other night, which was very nice, vs. continually having to make trips to the stove.

I do have some questions for the experienced Canary user. Do you flip the coals when you light them? After the silver stuff burns off, it still looks like there is a little bit left. Do you wait until every spec of it has burned off before you take them off the burner? Do you just blow them off? Do yours go out easily? Any other tips would be appreciated.
[/quote]

I wouldnt worry about the silver stuff, when i was at the odyssey, they would just light the new coals off the already lit coals on the bowl.
[/quote]

Ah.. that's a good idea... will try that next time..
[/quote]
Thats exactly what i do. I still wait for them to be fully lit before i place them directly on the bowl. As for the silver flake i just blow it off.

I actually prefer Exotica coals over other brands. But with coals it usually comes down to convenience. If you have a coil burner any charcoal will light up fairly easy and quickly.

I myself in all of my hookah experience i have only used Sultan Quick light and Al fakher quick light.. I really dislike the al fakher quick light because they dont quick light.. Wierd huh?
But I do like the sultan coals because they do light FAST and i can smoke whenever.. And I myself don't taste anythihng bad, but i have never tried other coals..

I have been using 3 Kings charcoal for years and i haven't really liked anything else. I really don't like any other instant lite. I was looking for a Natural Charcoal just because they are better for you and i don't mind the extra time. I tried Shisha Co and I don't think i had it lit the whole way because it was just this overpowering sweet taste and no shisha taste at all, and i was smoking Nakhla so i knew i did something wrong. I have heard really good things about CocoNara i am just anxious about trying another Natural brand and screwing it up again. Any suggestions?
:Hookah:

[quote name='Caila' date='27 April 2010 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1272400325' post='465737']
I have been using 3 Kings charcoal for years and i haven't really liked anything else. I really don't like any other instant lite. I was looking for a Natural Charcoal just because they are better for you and i don't mind the extra time. I tried Shisha Co and I don't think i had it lit the whole way because it was just this overpowering sweet taste and no shisha taste at all, and i was smoking Nakhla so i knew i did something wrong. I have heard really good things about CocoNara i am just anxious about trying another Natural brand and screwing it up again. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

CocoNara

[quote name='joytron' date='27 April 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1272404762' post='465753']
[quote name='Caila' date='27 April 2010 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1272400325' post='465737']
[/quote]

CocoNara
[/quote]

Thanks! I will buy some CocoNara today and let you know how it goes