What Is The Best Charcoal For Smoking Shisha?

So I've been using three kings charcoal a lot (quick light charcoal) and I don't care for it anymore. I am now using some coconut coals that require a hot plate or variant to cook them and like them a lot better. I still feel like there are better charcoals out there for a better hookah experience.

What are your thoughts on good charcoal for smoking shisha?

I usually smoke Nakhla tobacco ($5 for 250g) but recently I've made the switch to Starbuzz and Al Fakher brands, which taste a lot better than Nakhla.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[quote name='dizz' date='31 March 2010 - 06:34 PM' timestamp='1270085662' post='461134']
So I've been using three kings charcoal a lot (quick light charcoal) and I don't care for it anymore. I am now using some coconut coals that require a hot plate or variant to cook them and like them a lot better. I still feel like there are better charcoals out there for a better hookah experience.

What are your thoughts on good charcoal for smoking shisha?

I usually smoke Nakhla tobacco ($5 for 250g) but recently I've made the switch to Starbuzz and Al Fakher brands, which taste a lot better than Nakhla.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[/quote]

I use coconaras. They're pretty good and i have 3 kings for the second half of the bowl or when i'm on the go

Coconaras are great but the best is natural chunks of real wood charcoal. They're a pain in the ass to light (largely because you need to be outdoors) but I think they're absolutely the best. Cheap too, if you buy the natural wood bulk charcoal meant for grilling.

the best i've heard were orangewood or lemonwood coals...they're a pain as far as shape, but they last forever and don't leave any hints of added flavor....

for a combination of taste and ease of use, coconaras are your best bet...i’ve heard good things about the NEW CH’s too.

for taste, ease of use and value…AF cocos

and lastly, for awesomeness and possible bankruptcy in the future…Golden Canary

It depends on what your using to heat it up. If you only have a lighter, then your stuck with quicklights, and then you would want HookahJohn's CH Hookah Quick Lights.

If you have an electric stove then you should get either Coconara's or CH Hookah Naturals.

If you have a gas stove I found that it is hard to get both of these to light fully after less than 15 minutes. Just my experience, and I can still smoke with both of the aforementioned coals, but it is recommended that you should wait till they are fully lit, and I just don't have the patience with my gas stove. Soooooo I've found that Jap Easy Lites work the best for gas stoves, and they light much quicker than the Coco's and CH Nats. But you MUST scrape off the silver outside after you light them, just drop them a few time on your tray and scrape with the tongs. If you scrape the silver off, then they taste pretty much the same as the Nats, not quite the same, but good enough for me.

If you have a fire pit out side, then use natural wood coals, their cheaper than the others, and they work just as well.

Hope this helps.

How long must I leave the Coconara's on a hot plate for? The guy at the store where I bought them told me to leave them for 15 minutes, but that just seems too long. Also, my hot plate has a low/medium/high setting, which setting should I leave it at?

Thanks for all of the replies!

I'm so glad I finally found a hookah home.

I use coco naras myself an electric coil burner that I bought at Walgreen's for $12. Set it on high put the coals on there. Start setting up my hookah, flip after 5-7 minutes, finish setting up and the coals are good to go.

[quote name='OC4111' date='01 April 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1270097615' post='461190']
I use coco naras myself an electric coil burner that I bought at Walgreen's for $12. Set it on high put the coals on there. Start setting up my hookah, flip after 5-7 minutes, finish setting up and the coals are good to go.

[/quote]

How many coconara's do you put on your headpiece? I started off with putting 3 on there, but it became too harsh too quickly so I now use 2 and that seems to work fine. However, I don't have much smoke. I would like to have clouds of smoke billowing around the room.

[quote name='dizz' date='31 March 2010 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1270101948' post='461200']
[quote name='OC4111' date='01 April 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1270097615' post='461190']

[/quote]

How many coconara's do you put on your headpiece? I started off with putting 3 on there, but it became too harsh too quickly so I now use 2 and that seems to work fine. However, I don't have much smoke. I would like to have clouds of smoke billowing around the room.
[/quote]

That comes with practice, and depends on the size of the bowl and how you pack it. I have found when 3 is too much and two is not enough cutting them in half works well.

[quote name='cotsi95' date='01 April 2010 - 02:47 AM' timestamp='1270104425' post='461212']
I only use Golden Canaries/ Fumari's. I love them and refuse to use anything else. :D
[/quote]

I just got my first batch of Golden Canaries, and they may very well replace Coco's as my favorite coal. They tend to be much less of a pain on having to constantly flip and rotate them vs. the cocos. They give off great heat for Tangiers, to the point where I'm not worried about burning the shisha like with cocos. I do not like the ash they give off though. But, what is cool, even though it kinda wastes a coal, I just keep one burning in my charcoal carrier, then I can light the next round of coals right there, without having to go to the stove. I did 3 rounds of coals like this the other night, which was very nice, vs. continually having to make trips to the stove.

I do have some questions for the experienced Canary user. Do you flip the coals when you light them? After the silver stuff burns off, it still looks like there is a little bit left. Do you wait until every spec of it has burned off before you take them off the burner? Do you just blow them off? Do yours go out easily? Any other tips would be appreciated.

[quote name='Barnaby' date='02 April 2010 - 06:13 AM' timestamp='1270213996' post='461480']
[quote name='cotsi95' date='01 April 2010 - 02:47 AM' timestamp='1270104425' post='461212']
I only use Golden Canaries/ Fumari's. I love them and refuse to use anything else. :D
[/quote]

I just got my first batch of Golden Canaries, and they may very well replace Coco's as my favorite coal. They tend to be much less of a pain on having to constantly flip and rotate them vs. the cocos. They give off great heat for Tangiers, to the point where I'm not worried about burning the shisha like with cocos. I do not like the ash they give off though. But, what is cool, even though it kinda wastes a coal, I just keep one burning in my charcoal carrier, then I can light the next round of coals right there, without having to go to the stove. I did 3 rounds of coals like this the other night, which was very nice, vs. continually having to make trips to the stove.

I do have some questions for the experienced Canary user. Do you flip the coals when you light them? After the silver stuff burns off, it still looks like there is a little bit left. Do you wait until every spec of it has burned off before you take them off the burner? Do you just blow them off? Do yours go out easily? Any other tips would be appreciated.
[/quote]

I wouldnt worry about the silver stuff, when i was at the odyssey, they would just light the new coals off the already lit coals on the bowl.

[quote name='Joel' date='01 April 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1270101235' post='461196']
[quote name='joytron' date='31 March 2010 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1270086590' post='461145']
Natural: Coconaras
Instalight: Hookah John CH Coals
[/quote]

+1

[/quote]

+2

[quote name='Stuie' date='02 April 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1270221011' post='461487']
[quote name='Joel' date='01 April 2010 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1270101235' post='461196']
[quote name='joytron' date='31 March 2010 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1270086590' post='461145']
[/quote]

+1

[/quote]

+2
[/quote]

So you got around to trying the Qls?

I'd say coconara/CH nats for everything non Tangiers. Golden Canary for Tangiers

Yeah I like them the CH QL for smokeability, but they stink when you light them. Use them now when I smoke on my front porch.

[quote name='ryno' date='02 April 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1270221501' post='461489']
[quote name='Stuie' date='02 April 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1270221011' post='461487']
[/quote]

+1

[/quote]

+2
[/quote]

So you got around to trying the Qls?

I'd say coconara/CH nats for everything non Tangiers. Golden Canary for Tangiers
[/quote]

This is probably what I'll end up doing.. I have no problems having 2 different coals on hand

[quote name='joytron' date='02 April 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1270221000' post='461486']
[quote name='Barnaby' date='02 April 2010 - 06:13 AM' timestamp='1270213996' post='461480']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldnt worry about the silver stuff, when i was at the odyssey, they would just light the new coals off the already lit coals on the bowl.
[/quote]

Ah.. that's a good idea... will try that next time..

since i cant say the name cause apparently the reference is to something not related to the forum even though they are merely hookah coals..... on hookah john he sells KH coconut coals... i highly recommend those, easy light, long lasting, little to no smell after the initial burn. great coals in my opinion.

[quote name='A13lackFish' date='02 April 2010 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1270226320' post='461510']
since i cant say the name cause apparently the reference is to something not related to the forum even though they are merely hookah coals..... on hookah john he sells KH coconut coals... i highly recommend those, easy light, long lasting, little to no smell after the initial burn. great coals in my opinion.
[/quote]

You're talking about the ones he makes, right?
We can call them CH coals.

[quote name='Barnaby' date='02 April 2010 - 06:20 AM' timestamp='1270225227' post='461504']
[quote name='joytron' date='02 April 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1270221000' post='461486']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah.. that's a good idea... will try that next time..
[/quote]
this is what i do...you will notice the flavor of the coal being lit...lasts about 1 minute...maybe two....

after that, you're golden......canary :P

• 3 weeks later...
My favorite coals are:

Ch Nats. and CH quick lights. I like the quick lights because of how well they ash, however, it could be a pain to get them lit, and they smell awful once you get them going. With these coals, you have to wait a while until all of the smoke is gone and the coals are completely white. Then you can put them on your bowl. Once you start smoking with them, they leave no smell whatsoever.