Cast Mini Phunnel

Rocketman

One of my hobbies is backyard metalcasting... I decided to cast a mini phunnel since they're raved about. I cast a blank and machined it as a prototype, here's the result: (sorry my desk/room is a mess)

[img]http://www.werbatfik.com/uplimg/foundry/hookah/rocketbowl1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.werbatfik.com/uplimg/foundry/hookah/rocketbowl4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.werbatfik.com/uplimg/foundry/hookah/rocketbowl2.jpg[/img]

And how does it smoke (setup on a Mini Mya, Starbuzz Code 69, quicklite chunks)

[img]http://www.werbatfik.com/uplimg/foundry/hookah/rocketbowl5.jpg[/img]

Delicious!

-Rocketman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. That thing looks like it's next to a havana phunnel. So I thnk it's more like a small than a mini but good job man!

[quote name='SweetNut' date='26 March 2010 - 08:10 PM' timestamp='1269652257' post='459980']
I imagine you have to wait DAYS for it to get cool enough to take it off the hookah.. .:wacko:
[/quote]

That was my exact thought as well, but apparently it works okay... He seems to be getting some pretty good smoke.

Looks pretty sweet man, nice job. I'm also interested in how well it manages heat and how long it takes to cool down? Do you need to use an oven mit to remove it?

It doesn't hold very much shisha, maybe 15 or 20g? Next time I have it out I'll see how much it holds.

Heat management actually works very well, the bowl doesn't get nearly as hot as you might think. The bottom has stayed relatively cool I can remove it without consequence to my fingers. I think the shisha cooks a little more evenly, the heat gets under it in this bowl.

here is the bowl blank that I cast, along with a stem and a base adapter (cant really see it too good) I have not got around to finishing the other parts yet

[img]http://www.werbatfik.com/uplimg/foundry/hookah/raw.jpg[/img]

That is the epitomie of bad ass-ness! Actually, I wanted a way to make sure the shisha at the bottom of the bowl gets heated. What is your phunnel made of (aluminum)? Is it hard to clean? Are you making more of these? Edited by thatonethere

I want one!Even though I already have 2 phunnels (chinese and small tang). I might get an alien phunnel also, so then I'd have 3. Edited by thatonethere

[quote name='coldsmok' date='01 April 2010 - 08:23 PM' timestamp='1270178614' post='461426']
yeah I was wondering the same thing cus heating the aluminum releases gasses that you would inhale. and aluminum has been linked to Alzheimers
[/quote]

You see that was my initial thought, but then again, we put aluminum on top of the bowl and put straight coals on it.....

But yea, I want one of those for sure, let me know if you decide to sell those things. Edited by KeepItSimple

Lol, I'm pretty sure heating aluminum will not release any gasses. During the casting process Aluminum will tend to pick up a little hydrogen, however I degass my melts, and any hydrogen still dissolved exits the metal upon solidification.

I'll have to develop some tooling to make these, I'll definately make at least a handful for those interested

I'm interested in one when you go into production. Alzheimers causes your brain to collect aluminum; Aluminum does not cause Alzheimers. Plus the foil thing. Plus the degassification thing.

[quote name='Skoozle' date='03 April 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1270308318' post='461664']
I'm interested in one when you go into production. Alzheimers causes your brain to collect aluminum; Aluminum does not cause Alzheimers. Plus the foil thing. Plus the degassification thing.
[/quote]

That explains, I knew it was probably a myth about foil causing alzheimers but I wondered how that came about

I wonder if there would be any better metal to use? I have a whole machining lab at my disposal and have thought about this. What grade Al are you using? and I think I may try to make one of these pretty soon. lol

I would pay like 25 tops, but would hope it was cheaper. It all depends on how it smokes, you know. I mean technically it's priceless because it will never break, rust, or any of that. But it's still just a bowl, so it doesn't warant any more than the twenties-thirties.