Ss Really Washed?

Why are people reviewing SS and saying that there is hardly any buzz if it is an unwashed tobacco? I've shifted into primarily smoking unwashed tobacco and want to try SS out but this is discouraging. I doubt that nicotine tolerance can account for this?

They could just be using low quality or tobacco that has a low nicotine level. There was some talk that SB might be unwashed yet due to the type of tobacco used it had a low nicotine level. That was just a theory though.

I haven't even gotten a buzz of Desi Murli or Tangiers F-Line in over a year.

So I don't smoke for buzz anymore, just flavor.

That's why i say light.... if i don't eat dinner and smoke i get slight tingle but no where near a buzz.

I'm sure that, after smoking it since it came out almost 5x a week, it is unwashed but the nicotine content in the plant is very low. I suppose this saves them a step in the process. By not washing, the texture and smoke quality is noticeably better than Starbuzz, and the flavors are brighter and none of the flavors I have tried have any chemical problems whatsoever. I would go as far as to say it's the finest hookah tobacco product after Tangiers available in the US.

I get buzzed if I smoke AF on an empty stomach and I have never felt anything from SS.

I'm thinking along the same lines as keepitsimple - it probably has something to do with the raw tobacco itself. Higher grade tobacco tends to have more nicotine in it. In fact, some raw tobacco has such a high level of nicotine it has to be washed to make it smokeable. Generally speaking, I'd bet low-grade tobacco [i]unwashed [/i]has less nicotine than high-grade tobacco [i]washed[/i]. And since most hookah smokers could care less about raw tobacco flavor and quality, shisha manufacturers are able to cut costs by going with cheaper tobacco. After all, when the tobacco is reduced to only a catalyst or carrier for the flavor, why spend more than you have to?

[quote name='mushrat' date='11 March 2010 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1268327381' post='456549']
I can say personally it is NOT washed.
[/quote]

Mush would know, he saw the whole setup down there at SS.

It is awesome to read post about leafs on this site. You guys are definitely the real hookah connoisseurs for sure!

Concerning leaf, buzz, and so forth. Not all leaves are created equal and to interpret leaf quality strictly through how much buzz it gives you is grossly incorrect. There are poor quality leaves with a lot of nicotine and high quality leaves with less nicotine. These too things are not really related. Like the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Because I'm not hear to defend or market our product I will take Starbuzz as an example. Starbuzz is an [b]UNWASHED [/b] tobacco made of excellent quality tobacco leaf. This is without doubt. I can tell you first hand that the leaf used in Starbuzz is sought after by more hookah tobacco companies than you could know, even many of the brands you smoke now would drop their current provider if they could get that leaf. However, at the same time a cigar company might never want to even see this leaf in their warehouse.

Tobacco leaves are similar to grapes and are susceptible to growing conditions such as soil properties, rain fall, and ambient temperature and so forth. The same “quality” grape will have different wine making properties depending on where it is grown.

Aside from the inherent differences in the type of leaf used, different manufacturing techniques will have an effect on the perceived nicotine level in the final product.

For the vast majority of shisha brands the leaf used is primary picked for its smoke qualities such as smoothness, nicotine level, flavor, and availability but not it's price. For example, we could buy leaf that is a half the price of what we use now and have a perceived buzz effect that would put people on the floor, but that wasn't what we were going for.