Is There Anyway To Pronounce Al-Fahker Without Being Perverted?

I'm serious. I know some of you have had this problem, too. I'm sitting here trying to explain shisha to friends and I bring up the brand Al-Fahker and there's no way to say it without it sounding like .... well, you know. What is the official pronunciation? HELP! :blum2:

Lol so many people have a hard time pronouncing the 'kh' in English.

I uploaded a sound file a while back on how to pronounce Al Fakher, if someone can dig up that thread, feel free. Khalil Ma'moon is mentioned in there too.

[quote name='PSU Smoker' date='04 March 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1267767648' post='455337']
just like it sounds....you know kinda like ill f*ck her =P
[/quote]

that's my favorite way. sometimes i pronounce it the right way in arabic or if the person doesn't speak arabic i say it like a name, first name Al, last name Fah kehr, paging Mr. Faker, Mr. Al Faker.

[quote name='Arcane' date='05 March 2010 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1267776596' post='455371']
All Fahk-phlegm-her
[/quote]

This is how I do it. (or at least how I TRY to do it)

I won't lie, I've actually considered pulling it from my lounge entirely on multiple occasions simply because I'm so sick of providing the bros with such a clever way of proving their bro-ocity. You can actually see them swell in gratitude and amazement, eyes filling with tears, as they marvel at the greatness of such a bro-deity that would be so generous and caring to provide them with such a legitimate and justified way of proclaiming what they're going to do with "her" in public.

I just wait a few minutes for the high-fiving and fist pumping to subside, then tell them, "It's pronounced AF"

[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/21651-pronunciation-translation/"]LINK[/url] to pronunciation thread.

Is our wiki still MIA? This would make for a great addition.

What I do is ask people from the Middle East when I want to know how to pronounce things. If enough of them say it the same way, I go with that.

Here's what I'd like to know. Is the "a" in Zaghloul like the "a" in "apple" or the "o" in "octopus"?

[quote name='HookahJohn' date='05 March 2010 - 04:28 AM' timestamp='1267781320' post='455381']
[quote name='PSU Smoker' date='04 March 2010 - 09:40 PM' timestamp='1267767648' post='455337']
just like it sounds....you know kinda like ill f*ck her =P
[/quote]

that's my favorite way. sometimes i pronounce it the right way in arabic or if the person doesn't speak arabic i say it like a name, first name Al, last name Fah kehr, paging Mr. Faker, Mr. Al Faker.
[/quote]

lmao at HJ nice

[quote name='Codename067' date='05 March 2010 - 03:15 AM' timestamp='1267780518' post='455379']
Lol so many people have a hard time pronouncing the 'kh' in English.

I uploaded a sound file a while back on how to pronounce Al Fakher, if someone can dig up that thread, feel free. Khalil Ma'moon is mentioned in there too.
[/quote]

i remember seeing that a long time ago and being disappointed because it no longer worked :( I really want to hear Khalil Mamoon pronounced properly because i am probably butchering it. I'm pronouncing it like i they Jor-el pronounces Kal-el on Smallville, except with an "eel" sound instead of an "el" sound.

[quote name='Codename067' date='28 May 2008 - 02:39 AM' timestamp='1211963997' post='256679']
Ok so finally I got thesei n right before bed.

Its almost 2 in the morning so I had to lower my voice but its clear enough

Al Fakher
[url="http://www.soundupload.com/audio/xm4nx10dyfxdrvc"]http://www.sounduplo...xm4nx10dyfxdrvc[/url]

Khalil Mamoon
[url="http://www.soundupload.com/audio/3cku350ys0q1o75"]http://www.sounduplo...3cku350ys0q1o75[/url]

Magdy Zidan
[url="http://www.soundupload.com/audio/xa1qclchop7c2t2"]http://www.sounduplo...xa1qclchop7c2t2[/url]
The G in maGdy is pronounced differently. Not like the G George. Its an Egyptian name and the Egyptians pronounce the G differently...just like it sounds in the audio clip.

And yes, Layalina does mean 'our nights'

I did not put a clip of it because its fairly easy..but if some one wants it let me know.

and yes, thats the correct way for spelling MZ in Arabic!
[/quote]

[quote name='ih303' date='05 March 2010 - 03:04 PM' timestamp='1267797844' post='455398']

I won't lie, I've actually considered pulling it from my lounge entirely on multiple occasions simply because I'm so sick of providing the bros with such a clever way of proving their bro-ocity. You can actually see them swell in gratitude and amazement, eyes filling with tears, as they marvel at the greatness of such a bro-deity that would be so generous and caring to provide them with such a legitimate and justified way of proclaiming what they're going to do with "her" in public.

I just wait a few minutes for the high-fiving and fist pumping to subside, then tell them, "It's pronounced AF"

[/quote]

Literally laughed out loud during breakfast this morning when i read that...thank you

[quote name='ih303' date='05 March 2010 - 09:22 AM' timestamp='1267798922' post='455399']
[url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/21651-pronunciation-translation/"]LINK[/url] to pronunciation thread.

Is our wiki still MIA? This would make for a great addition.

What I do is ask people from the Middle East when I want to know how to pronounce things. If enough of them say it the same way, I go with that.

Here's what I'd like to know. Is the "a" in Zaghloul like the "a" in "apple" or the "o" in "octopus"?
[/quote]

It's like neither. It's a short a, kind of like an "uh" sound

[quote name='ih303' date='05 March 2010 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1267797844' post='455398']
[quote name='Arcane' date='05 March 2010 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1267776596' post='455371']
All Fahk-phlegm-her
[/quote]

[/quote]

LMAO! i just now saw this post. thats funny. sorry, i didn't see your link when i posted the link to the same thread, i took mine out and jsut left the quote. I would have to agree with you, if i had to deal with fucktards praising themselves over mispronouncing AF i would get highly irritated too. do they really think they are the first ones and only ones to come up with the play on words?? i mean, come on....

[quote name='ih303' date='05 March 2010 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1267797844' post='455398']
All Fahk-phlegm-her
[/quote]

[/quote]

LMAO

OK, so since you guys mentioned KM, here's my guess at how it's pronounced. KUH-LEEL MA-MOON

Correct? Seems pretty straightforward but I could be wrong.

[quote name='hookahlou' date='06 March 2010 - 01:48 AM' timestamp='1267858106' post='455552']
OK, so since you guys mentioned KM, here's my guess at how it's pronounced. KUH-LEEL MA-MOON

[/quote]

That's how I pronounce it too.

I always wonder how to pronounce Al Fakher. I just avoid saying it altogether, so as not to sound like a fool. :P

[quote name='hookahlou' date='06 March 2010 - 01:48 AM' timestamp='1267858106' post='455552']

[/quote]

Syllable by syllable it's Kha (throaty kh sound like German or Russian or...Arabic, then short a as described above in Zaghloul) Leel Ma' (same short a, but stopped suddenly, like when you say uh-oh) Moon

[quote name='Hassouni' date='06 March 2010 - 04:30 PM' timestamp='1267918210' post='455641']

[/quote]

Syllable by syllable it's Kha (throaty kh sound like German or Russian or...Arabic, then short a as described above in Zaghloul) Leel Ma' (same short a, but stopped suddenly, like when you say uh-oh) Moon

[/quote]

Wow, great breakdown. Thanks.