First Impressions Of Ss Tobacco

So, I waited a day to write this and a 2nd round on each flavor and I've decided that since I believe I am the first member to try multiple flavors of SS Tobacco that I would offer my opinions, observations, and ideas on SS tobacco.

First impression was that this stuff was strong, I could smell it from the FedEx box, I was slightly worried that the packaging might have been leaking but was quite impressed when I opened the box and tins that none of the bags of tobacco were leaking, the flavors are just really that strong smelling.

The tins are very similar to "SB type" tins that we can find with JM's Tonic and others slightly different in design but same concept and shape. The graphical stickers on the tins (at least the 100g tins) are rather sparce in styling and seem to be missing the basic information that can be found on most brand's tins such as the ingrediants (whether it's honey, glycerine, or whatever based moreso than anything else), a production date, or contact information for questions, concerns, or issues with the product. It does bear the Social Smoke double S logo and a nice American Flag stamp reading "Made in USA." It also has something that reads TP-TX-15005 on one tin and TP-TX-15000 on another ( I am unable to read the colored print on the Baja Blue tin.

The Tobacco itself comes in a plastic vaccume sealed bag, only one, which concerns me because if the product leaks in its initial bag there's nothing holding the juices in from running everywhere in the box/storage/tin/ect... All three flavors are the same color so I would assume there is no dye in any of the flavors, unless it's a universal yellow-ish-orange-ish colored dye for all the flavors. The cut reminds me a lot of a SB-Fusion-Nak hybrid...think of a Mizo and SB tobacco baby (cut and juicyness).

Flavors:

Blush.

I got this flavor thinking it would equate to SB's Pink flavor since I like it. I would say that this flavor does resemble the Pink flavor a bit but I would push it more towards AF's grenedine flavor and some kind of sweet-berry flavor as well. This was the first flavor I tried and I was rather impressed. I used my Med Phunnel bowl with it the first time and got ~3 hours from it using 2 CH QL coals and my SB packing method. The second round I used a large egyptian (same size as med phunnel lol) and it went for ~4 hours simply because instead of double siding coals like I do on my phunnel I started with 2 coals then went to 1 coal at a time. Smoked the same both ways, the smoke was good, I'd put it at or above SB clouds but the flavor...omg, the flavor, I couldn't believe it. Everyone on this forum who knows me knows how much I love SB, Fusion, and Tangiers (some Mizo :-\ ) because of their saturating flavor qualities. Well my friends, not only does the flavor power beat the ever living shit out of any SB I've had other than Pineapple, Pomberry, or Pink, but it stayed constant throughout the bowl!

Blush gets a 9/10 from me, -.5 because the flavor name doesn't match the taste in my opinion and -.5 because the flavor is leaning on the "too sweet" side.

Lime.

Lime, where do I start. I almost pooped myself when I saw this on their flavor list. As many of you know I used to bug the ever living shit out of our dear friend Eric about New Lime, and did so consistantly for about 6 months until he finally released it in his sample packs :) Well, lets just say that SS had a lot to live up to. I was half expecting a pass-off of a Margarita flavor [pisses me off when brands try to do that] but was pleasently suprised to find that this lime smelled like I had just juiced and zested about 100 limes inside my nose. The flavor is a complex sweet AND sour lime, not like sweet and sour drink mix or margarita mix, but like a Limeade-base of sorts. I hesitate to say I like SS lime more than Tangiers' lime because they are both extremely good, but I can say SS Lime lived up to everything I expected it to be and then some.

Lime gets a perfect 10/10.

Baja Blue.

Oh you, ever sought after "mist" type flavor, the flavor that draws in so many unknown "bros" to the allure of hookah, it seems every modern tobacco has its variation of you. Baja Blue immediately sounded like a Blue Mist wannabe so, eventhough I hate blue mist, I decided to get it to have something to measure a flavor against that I've tried in at least 4 other brands. Well, I think they were on the same idea but the SS Baja Blue seems like a more thoghtout flavor mix in the levels of intensity. The blue-raspberry-ness flavor is much more pronounced in Baja Blue than it is in Blust Mist and the "mist" factor is present on both the inhale and the exhale. It was too similar to Blue Mist for me to absolutely love but in general, the flavor was very good and definately tops Blue Mist in my book.

Baja Blue gets a 8/10. Because well, it's been done, over and over and over. SS just happens to do it the best.
PS: Blue Mist gets a 4/10.

All in all, SS shisha provides a good light buzz, somewhere between AF and Nak, more than AF, less than Nak. The flavors last a long time, averaging ~3 hours per med phunnel using 2 CH QL at a time but smoked easily enough with 1 coal to prolong the bowl even more if desired (note: less cloudage this way but more longevity).

I'd say that SS is a legit contender in the Hookah world and should be given some respect. They might come across as a "SB wannabe" to many people but after trying their products, at least 3 flavors, I can say that I would honestly prefer SS over SB. Now I just have to try SS's Pineapple ;)

Definately reccomend picking up a 100g tin at least to try for yourselves, I'm definately going to be a repeat customer and will probably only order SB specific flavors from SB, as the "same" flavors seem to be better with SS.

Abhrahim gets an A+ for the product :)

good looks, thanks for the review. hopefully this will clear up some of the forum drama from earlier.

yah im gonna pick some up with the discount theye offering. i cant wait for the clove, as i love the flavor. the only other clove that i like is the tangiers but its too finicky and sometimes doesnt smoke too well.

Edit: they also said the packaging was temporary and that they are working on a non-SB packaging. i think its all they could get at the moment Edited by twinturboa51

I can't say much about the other flavors' sweetness but I'm sure they have other non-sweet flavors for you to try like Clove and whatnot.

Got Tiger's Blood, Cinnamint, Baja Blue and Kiwi.

Smoking Tiger's Blood right now... I am freaking impressed! Flavor is sweet and strong, clouds are huge. Working on a review as we speak.

[quote name='demonix' date='27 February 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1267306789' post='454206']
washed or unwashed tobacco?
[/quote]

We found out in chat the other night it's unwashed.

'Rani

I really like Baja Blue, and I am not a blueberry fan and it's great. Social Smoke seems to be super sweet on it's sweet flavors. I have one flavor left to try and it's Cinnamint. Can't wait it, smells great. Going to grab some more non traditionally sweet flavors next go round, and more Tiger's Blood. Man that stuff has me hooked.

[quote name='Stuie' date='27 February 2010 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1267334672' post='454264']
I really like Baja Blue, and I am not a blueberry fan and it's great. Social Smoke seems to be super sweet on it's sweet flavors. I have one flavor left to try and it's Cinnamint. Can't wait it, smells great. Going to grab some more non traditionally sweet flavors next go round, and more Tiger's Blood. Man that stuff has me hooked.
[/quote]

damn you stuie you made tigers blood sound too good i had to buy some :) also got gangster and potion 9 i'll put my reviews up as soon as i get them

[quote name='FSUReligionMan' date='27 February 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1267300015' post='454188']
I can't say much about the other flavors' sweetness but I'm sure they have other non-sweet flavors for you to try like Clove and whatnot.
[/quote]

True, I guess at some point ill have to get some.

And to the people asking about washed/unwashed ... according to FSU it is in between AF and nak, AF being weaker and nak being stronger ... in terms of buzz that is. All you need to do is re-read his post :)

Anyone nice enough to send me 30 grams of this stuff for me to try out and bust a video review on?

[size="2"][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img][/size]

[size="2"]PS: A personal thank you will be noted in the video to this very nice person [size=3][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img][/size][/size]

[quote name='Codename067' date='28 February 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1267389772' post='454347']
Anyone nice enough to send me 30 grams of this stuff for me to try out and bust a video review on?

[size="2"][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img][/size]

[size="2"]PS: A personal thank you will be noted in the video to this very nice person [size="3"][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img][/size][/size]
[/quote]

i just ordered some and would send you a sample if you pay for shiping...

[quote name='hookahthis' date='28 February 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1267390062' post='454348']
[quote name='Codename067' date='28 February 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1267389772' post='454347']

[size="2"]PS: A personal thank you will be noted in the video to this very nice person [size="3"][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img][/size][/size]
[/quote]

i just ordered some and would send you a sample if you pay for shiping...
[/quote]

Done and done!

Let me know which flavor you got and when you get them. PM me!

Thanks will be in order :]

i ordered tigers blood(stuie made it sound too good), gangster, and potion #9 i'll send you a bowl full of each when it gets here i ordered it yesterday so i don't know when it will get here yet... i live in utah so i don't know how much shipping would cost?

[quote name='hookahthis' date='28 February 2010 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1267394193' post='454356']
i ordered tigers blood(stuie made it sound too good), gangster, and potion #9 i'll send you a bowl full of each when it gets here i ordered it yesterday so i don't know when it will get here yet... i live in utah so i don't know how much shipping would cost?
[/quote]

Cool man. What's your area code? I'm over at 91501.