Easy Diy Diffuser

T355

For those wanting to try and make their own diffuser here is what I did. I have tried the straw method and the little plastic bottle with holes cut into it as well. I wasn't pleased with either of those methods. Now this may have been done before but I searched and didn't find anyone who has posted something similar to this.

1) Get a new sink screen (the kind for your kitchen sink) from walmart for like $1.20.
2) Cut the metal ring off the screen so you are left with just the flimsy piece of metal screen.
3) Take this piece of screen and fold it over the end of the stem
4) Take a piece of metal wire or string and tie it off as tight as you can onto the stem

Now you have a great diffuser that wont fall off or get into the way of you taking the stem out of the base. You can easily take if off to clean your stem though.

I have been using this for a couple weeks now and really like it. It doesn't effect the draw at all and makes the hookah nice and quiet if you are watching a movie.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Deutsch am Herzen' date='08 March 2010 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1268087241' post='455964']
ok. so is the only reason for using a diffuser is to quiet the "noise" of a pull?

i just made one today using a ping pong ball...dont really notice a difference in smoke or anything. is it supposed to change that at all?
[/quote]

The splitting of bubbles increases the surface area dramatically which allow the smoke to cool and filter faster. This leads to the same amount of smoke at a lower (smoother) temperature.

i made a diffuser by poking holes in a grommit for one of my hoses. it works well and really cut down on the noise of my hookah. I'llpost a picture later if i can get my camera working

[quote name='highvolt4g3' date='21 March 2010 - 04:10 PM' timestamp='1269205850' post='458635']
I was thinking of getting one of these but I'm not sure. Is the difference in smoothness of the smoke actually noticeable?
[/quote]

It's fairly small.

I made a pretty simple diffuser too. I made it out of a Lucas candy bottle, got a knife and poked some holes in it. I made flaps on the lid so I can fit it on my KM and other hookahs. Check it out.
[img]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/dizzbizz/IMAG0048.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/dizzbizz/IMAG0047.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/dizzbizz/IMAG0049.jpg[/img]

[quote name='dizzbizz' date='23 March 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1269380977' post='459100']
I made a pretty simple diffuser too. I made it out of a Lucas candy bottle, got a knife and poked some holes in it. I made flaps on the lid so I can fit it on my KM and other hookahs. Check it out.
[/quote]

I like it! How much does it affect the smoke?

[quote name='colto' date='23 March 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1269393223' post='459142']
[quote name='dizzbizz' date='23 March 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1269380977' post='459100']
[/quote]

I like it! How much does it affect the smoke?
[/quote]

When I use the diffuser I get buzzed quicker and harder, I'm not sure if its in my head, though. It also makes my KM pretty quiet. The idea behind the diffusers is that it breaks the smoke up into smalled bubbles letting the smoke be cooled faster and more efficiently. I can't tell a difference, though, but my smoke also seems to be thicker than without it.

• 2 weeks later...