Do You Guys Use New Water Each Time You Smoke?

Yea i've been wondering lately because this is kind of annoying but do you guys use new water each time you guys smoke? Like I can only smoke in my basement but it isnt finish so I have to go back upstairs to get water everytime I smoke and it gets annoying. Should I just keep water in the vase and use it everytime? Will it effect my smoking expierience? Will there be flavor from the previous smoke? I'm wondering if you guys do this because it's getting annoying to go up and down and manage the coals on the BBQ while doing all of this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not always no. It will sometimes sit for a day or to. Usually because I smoke the same bowl over 2 days, so I don't bother cleaning. If I switch flavor, I change the water or if its sat for more than overnight.

I usually do but I haven't changed it over the last 2 or 3 bowls I have smoked and I can't taste any difference. I wouldn't want to leave the water in there longer than a day or two tops. I would be afraid mold would start growing. I may just be over paranoid though. Edited by T355

Um, you'll get sick if you don't clean out your hookah and put fresh water in... I'd say clean it out everytime you switch to a new flavor or if it sits longer than a day or overnight. Don't like leave the same water in there for days. That's just gross...

I change it every single time. It just seems gross to re-use... I feel like it would get moldy and collect bacteria. And since its room temperature it wouldn't do as good of a job at cooling the smoke. It seems odd that someone would spend 3 minutes packing the perfect bowl, 5 minutes to light natural coals (if you use them), but not take the 30 seconds to refill the vase...which ironically is the only thing that is free that you use each session.

I do not change the water between bowls unless I notice some flavor ghosting.  I do clean out the hookah after each use though. I have never let water sit in the vase overnight.

[quote name='chinamon' date='25 February 2010 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1267143653' post='453828']
i havent changed the water in 4 years.
[/quote]

What color is the water in your base? ;]

I change water with every new flavor, but i'll do 2 days max if i smoke the same flavor the next session if its within that time period.

I find that if i use old water (if its gone through atleast 1 set of coals), flavors mix...sometimes for the better, most of the times for the worst :[

like someone mentioned before, if its the same bowl i wont flush the water. Ive come back the next day to continue smoking as well. its pretty much the same to me

Nope, I don't open more than 1 250g at a time so I use the same water for the whole 250g, which usually is a week. don't notice any differences good or bad when I use fresh water/freshly cleaned hookah when I change flavors or 250s of the same flavor so...meh[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/girl_prepare_fish.gif[/img]

Wow I can't believe you guys don't clean that often.

After every session (whether its 1-3 bowls), I will clean the entire hookah. Never between bowls even if it is a different flavor. Everytime I clean the vase, I add a squirt of hand soap to it and shake that around inside (with my thumb plugging the hole). Rinse thoroughly. Rinse the stem every session (wire brush every 10 or so). Rinse my hose every two sessions. Clean the bowl with soap after each bowl I smoke.

[quote name='mxtaylor' date='25 February 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1267153569' post='453885']

After every session (whether its 1-3 bowls), I will clean the entire hookah. Never between bowls even if it is a different flavor. Everytime I clean the vase, I add a squirt of hand soap to it and shake that around inside (with my thumb plugging the hole). Rinse thoroughly. Rinse the stem every session (wire brush every 10 or so). Rinse my hose every two sessions. Clean the bowl with soap after each bowl I smoke.
[/quote]

what base opening is small enough to plug with a thumb?[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/scratch_one-s_head.gif[/img]

I always change it, last time I left it without changing it for about a week(used it 4 times or so) the water had quite the nasty odor to it...took a few washes to get the smell out.

[quote name='mxtaylor' date='25 February 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1267153569' post='453885']

[/quote]

what kind of hose do you have? :)

Honestly, I'm very anal about making sure I change the water. I change the water after every head I smoke, it doesn't matter if its the same flavour or not. I also run the brush through the stem and rinse it with water before I smoke.