Lighting Natural Coals On A Stove

Hey people! I'll make this quick:

My new stove's surface is Smoothtop made out of Black Glass. I tried lighting natural coals on the stove, but they're leaving a gray "stain" on the surface:

A. I don't know much about cleaning, but do you think this stain can be removed? If so, how?

B. Do you think I could put a product similar to this [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/c-35-hookah-charcoal-holders-hookah-coal-accessories.html"]http://www.hookah-shisha.com/c-35-hookah-charcoal-holders-hookah-coal-accessories.html[/url] on the stove, and light the coals by putting them inside?

Thanks for your help!

-Scott

I think given you have a glass stovetop, you should just pickup a cheap one ring coil stove, or a cheap one ring flame one that runs on gas. coal on glass sounds baaaad...

Walgreens has a single coil burner for around 10 bucks, and they work pretty good. As for the coal carriers you linked to, as far as I know they won't work. I'd also advise against putting coals on the glass as it can crack the stovetop.

yea def not a good idea - about a year or so back someone was complaining that they cracked their whole glass top doing this.
i would think the stains can be removed with a bit of scrubbing and a strong cleaner.

Like others have said, get the walgreens single coil burner it's definitely worth it.
As for cleaning, I know when I lived with my parents they had a glass cooktop and cleaned it with a white paste cleaner (a little thinner than toothpaste) and also had a scrapper thing that was a plastic handle with what seemed to be a razor blade at the end. With that combo I was always able to get stains/crap off the cooktop even with boilover messes, etc.

I have one of these glass top stoves and I've never had a problem with lighting natural coals on it. I guess I'd better head to Walgreens before I break the stovetop one day. Until then, I guess I'll be using my CH QL and lighting them with a lighter outside.