Flying With Hookah / Shisha And Ql Coals Overseas

I am going to Greece in the summer for about a month. I dont think I can live with out just one of my hookahs by my side. So I already decided I am going to bring the QT. ( I was thinking of buying a coleuses until I read the stripping thread when you break them down)

I have read many threads about bringing your hookah overseas before and shisha, I dont remember ever reading that it was a problem. However, with all the hightend security now a days, would bringing QL Coals in my luggage be much of a problem? I don't feel like bringing Natural coals to Greece as I dont know what supplies I will have there to light them.

Pretty excited about this:::
I plan on bringing Tangiers with me to experiment how it acclimates there as to Long Island NY. heh.

[quote name='newjacksm' date='05 February 2010 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1265389598' post='449904']
I am going to Greece in the summer for about a month. I dont think I can live with out just one of my hookahs by my side. So I already decided I am going to bring the QT. ( I was thinking of buying a coleuses until I read the stripping thread when you break them down)

I have read many threads about bringing your hookah overseas before and shisha, I dont remember ever reading that it was a problem. However, with all the hightend security now a days, would bringing QL Coals in my luggage be much of a problem? I don't feel like bringing Natural coals to Greece as I dont know what supplies I will have there to light them.

I plan on bringing Tangiers with me to experiment how it acclimates there as to Long Island NY. heh.
[/quote]

do not take qls, that is gonna be a big no no not only in your carry on but i dont think they would like it in your checked baggage either if they decided to surch it

[quote name='newjacksm' date='05 February 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1265389598' post='449904']

I have read many threads about bringing your hookah overseas before and shisha, I dont remember ever reading that it was a problem. However, with all the hightend security now a days, would bringing QL Coals in my luggage be much of a problem?[b] I don't feel like bringing Natural coals to Greece as I dont know what supplies I will have there to light them.[/b]

[/quote]

They don't have fire in Greece?
j/k but seriously, I would pass on the coals. I would take some coconut coals with me because i doubt those would be available there. according to a buddy of mine who was there last summer, hookahs are pretty common/popular in western turkey (closer to the turkish side) but aren't too popular on the eastern side. keep this in mind and if you're going to be traveling in the western side i wouldn't worry too much about it. if you're going to be on the east i'm sure you'll have access to a propane stove or a grill of some sort, right? even then, i'm sure greek quick lights will be commonly available as it is an Orthodox country and incense is quite popular. the local med market i go to sells plenty of Greek instant lights specifically for this purpose (but i haven't used them for smoking, so i can't comment on them). I'm sure you'll be able to track down some charcoal and foil while you're there.

Im talking about putting this all on checked luggage nothing is going to be going on carry on. I was wondering more-so about the QL being ok going in my suitcase not in my backpack on board.

As far as it being easy to obtain once I get to Greece I am sure it is if I am in Athens, but I am going to an Island for the majority of the time that I know I wont be able to get any coals there. The island is very small. I guess I may have to go with naturals. Edited by newjacksm

It will all be ok in your checked in bags. Just make sure your tongs dont have spike on them as they often flag that and check you at the other end. Ive flown UAE - UK and UK - Portugal with stuff like that in my checked in bags and it was all ok.

[quote name='TiLLooR' date='05 February 2010 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1265405846' post='449951']
It will all be ok in your checked in bags. Just make sure your tongs dont have spike on them as they often flag that and check you at the other end. Ive flown UAE - UK and UK - Portugal with stuff like that in my checked in bags and it was all ok.
[/quote]

So quick-lites are definitely ok in checked luggage? but serrated tongs are not?

I am pretty sure I wont be able to buy coals there because I am flying into athens and from athens I am flying to an island that doesn't have much of anything. Very relaxing and peaceful from what you would think. Which is why I wondering if anyone has had expierence flying with QL Coals. I figured naturals wouldnt be a problem as far as bringing them on a plane.

But if I dont fly straight from Athens to the Island I will be staying on, I will go straight to a shop over there and pick up coals, but I believe once I land in Athens I will be boarding a plane to go to an Island which I then will be taking a ferrie to another Island!

Just to give you an idea, this island doesn't have running water, it uses well water year round to get all the basics done in a house (showering, washing machine etc etc) it's very low key.

I will have a camera on me at all times! Edited by newjacksm

Would it be a hassle to mail the coals out to wherever you are staying? That way they are there when you arrive. Not that I think having them in your checked luggage would cause any concern at all, but other members seem to think so.

I've lit natural coals (lump charcoal, not coconut stuff) in remote areas plenty of times. All you need is a lighter and some fuel (I usually use leaves, twigs etc.) and a safe area to start a fire. Put your coals on top of the fuel in a bunched up pile. Light the fuel. By the time the fuel burns out, some of the bottom coals should of lit up a little bit. Fan the coals for about 10-15 minutes (much easier if there is some wind) and the rest should start to light up. Leave them for a little while longer to fully light, or continue fanning if you want to speed it up. Once fully lit, place them on your bowl.

Now this is quite a bit of work, and takes some time and effort, probably too much effort for a solo session. But if you'll be with a group of people, it definitely is fun starting a fire and if you are going to be outdoors you can light a bunch of coals and use it for warmth too.

To answer your question, I've taken QL on a plane more than once with no problems at all. They were in my hookah hard case and the case was placed in one of my luggage bags. I never had any problems. Whether this is because they were simply unaware of the QL being in my luggage or if they simply don't care is beyond me, but I got them through with no problems at all.

The only time ive had any trouble is when I had my tongs that had a metal spike on them. As long as its checked in you will be ok. If in doubt call your airline and ask them beforehand. I dunno if things will be tigher in America since that Nigerian guy got caught.

quicklight coals are against US regulations in carry-ons and checked Luggage. You may be able to sneak them through, but if your bags are searched by TSA, they will be confiscated. You won't be fined or hassled, but they will take them and send an official form letter to the purchaser of your ticket, saying contraband was removed from your bag. There will be a file added to your "permanent record" and it will show up if you ever need clearance for some government work.

A small (filled) blowtorch is PK, but a small butane refill to refill said torch is not. Go Figure.

[quote name='Sariél' date='07 February 2010 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1265568827' post='450205']
quicklight coals are against US regulations in carry-ons and checked Luggage. You may be able to sneak them through, but if your bags are searched by TSA, they will be confiscated. You won't be fined or hassled, but they will take them and send an official form letter to the purchaser of your ticket, saying contraband was removed from your bag. There will be a file added to your "permanent record" and it will show up if you ever need clearance for some government work.

A small (filled) blowtorch is PK, but a small butane refill to refill said torch is not. Go Figure.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up.