Do It Yourself Shisha

So, I now have a bag of 56g of Nicotina Rustica aka Sacred Tobacco. I went to the grocery store and picked up some molasses and flavoring. They did not have glycerin.
Will it smoke fine without glycerin/hold flavor well?

I'm going to walmart this weekend to search for glycerin, but if I don't find it...those who are getting a sample will be responsible for their glycerin in their batch.

But ya...how important is glycerin?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glycerine is reasonably important...if you're going for something like modern sheesha. Vegetable or animal makes no difference...as long as its USP...it will be 99.7% pure. That being said, I've never seen animal glycerine.

[quote name='Sonthert' date='04 February 2010 - 04:50 AM' timestamp='1265277027' post='449650']
Glycerine is reasonably important...if you're going for something like modern sheesha. Vegetable or animal makes no difference...as long as its USP...it will be 99.7% pure. That being said, I've never seen animal glycerine.
[/quote]
Animal glycerine is only available in small quantities from sweet animals like bunnys and kittens. It is therefore very expensive to harvest and is not cost effective enough to market.

You won't find glycerin at Walmart... I haven't. But I have found it a Michael's, Hobby Lobby and other Hobby Stores. Also a few local grocery stores.

ok so few q's here

1. can you use normal molasses u can buy at a grocery store?
2. do you cook the tobacco at all before adding glycerin and molasses/honey
3. OR can you just throw all of it into a pot and let simmer for 10-30 minutes?
4. anyone know of a good site that may break it down?
5. i wanted to try a hand at making a tobacco, but never found a place that had measurements of any kind
p.s. sorry if i thread jacked

this is a method that I came up with in my head after watching my friends' shisha project(loveshisha)...and mine is grocery store molasses as was theirs grocery store honey

I am starting it off by soaking the leaves in the flavoring. As that is going on, I am going to put the molasses in a pot on low heat. I will slowly add flavoring until it tastes about right. After a few hours of the leaves soaking, I am going to add the leaves and juices to the molasses in the pot and keep it on low for a while, constantly stirring.
When I am done, I am considering putting it in the oven on low heat briefly.

I do not know when I am going to add the glycerin in this process, I still have to get my hands on some.

I hope this method is good.
Any recommendations on glycerin adding and whether or not to oven it guys? Also, should I give the tobacco a quick rinse?

[quote name='Stuie' date='05 February 2010 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1265409497' post='449960']
Well I guess I can't knock it till I have tried it, right?

Bug Poop... God Help Me!
[/quote]

bug poop is what later becomes bug powder... where else would they get the flavoring? they grind it up and mix it in your shisha lol jk

• 2 weeks later...
well, so far no luck on glycerin...I went to Michael's while I was home and they were sold out...checked the local grocery stores and they didn't know what it was.

Anyone want to mail me some glycerin for my project?

[quote name='mattarios2' date='19 February 2010 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1266609573' post='452459']
Well how much do you need? It cost about 2 -2.50 for a tiny little bottle, you can get it much cheaper on the web or if you buy in bulk.

I'd send you some but depends on how much you need.
[/quote]

o I have no idea how much, its gonna be trial and error...I've got 56g of tobacco to work with if that gives any ideas...where can I get it on the net?

just do a search on google for "vegetable glycerin" and get one that is food grade safe.

there are so many sites that sell the stuff, i just did a quick search and found a 16 ounce bottle for 11 bucks on amazon ... look around if you want to find a deal.

Hope this helps Pat!