Stop The Insane Tobacco Tax!

[font="'Times New Roman"][size=4]Shoot, that came up horrible. Nvm.[/size][/font]
[font="'Times New Roman"][size=4]Sen. Rolland Burris said he'll keep my thoughts in mind if he has to vote on it.. yay[/size][/font] Edited by rhineholt

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Mr. *****:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act. As you know, this bill, which has been introduced in the House of Representatives, aims to bring the taxes levied on loose leaf tobacco products to a level comparable to the taxes levied on cigarettes, smokeless tobacco products, and cigar tobacco products.

The bill is being reviewed by the House Committee on Ways and Means. Although a companion bill has not been introduced in the Senate, I will closely monitor this legislation as it makes its way through the Congress.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this important issue. If I may be of further assistance on this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer
United States Senator

• 1 month later...
[quote name='rhineholt' date='05 March 2010 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1267838313' post='455497']
[font="arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif"][size="2"][size="3"]Dear Friend:[/size]

[size="3"]Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1256, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. I appreciate hearing from you on such an important issue because it enables me to better represent the beliefs and values of our district.[/size]

[size="3"]Tobacco is a serious public health risk and a leading cause of death in America, killing over 400,000 people a year. Its effects are not limited to just smokers, the treatment of tobacco related illnesses costs our already overburdened health care system billions of dollars per year. Despite multiple pervious attempts to regulate the sale, advertisement and content of tobacco, the problem persists nearly unabated. To that end, I have and will continue to support efforts to control this deadly addition.[/size]

[size="3"]As you may know, H.R. 1256 would give the FDA the authority to regulate tobacco products in order to prevent tobacco manufacturers from enticing young people to use these harmful products and to assist current smokers and other tobacco users in quitting. It is designed to prevent tobacco advertising that targets children, to prevent the sale of tobacco products to minors, to help tobacco users overcome their addiction, to identify and reduce the toxic constituents of tobacco products and tobacco smoke for those who continue to be exposed to them. Additionally, it aims to regulate claims about reduced risk of tobacco products, and to prevent the tobacco industry from misleading the public about the dangers of smoking.[/size]

[size="3"]I would like you to know that I am a proud cosponsor of this important legislation and was happy to support the bill which became Public Law 111-31 on June 22, 2009.[/size]

[size="3"]Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this issue. Please feel free to contact me in the future regarding this or any other matter. Additionally, I invite you to visit my website at [url="http://www.lipinski.house.gov/"]www.lipinski.house.gov[/url] to learn about my work at home and in Washington as well as to sign up for E-newsletters.[/size]

[font="serif"][size="3"]Sincerely,[/size][/font]

[font="serif"][size="3"]DANIEL W. LIPINSKI[/size][/font]

[font="serif"][size="3"]I could've sworn I had another email from another dumbasss. I can't find it though[/size][/font]

[/size][/font]
[/quote]

80-something from Nevada...

Did anybody else notice that Mr. Lipinksi was referencing the wrong bill (H.R. 1256 instead of H.R. 4439).

signed 225th from Virginia

• 3 weeks later...
92nd person to sign in arkansas, lets keep this moving. as an employee at a hookah bar this is extremely important to myself and my employer.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote]Dear Samuel,

Thank you for contacting me about the Tobacco Tax Parity Act. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue and regret the delay in responding.

As you may know, H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010, was introduced in the House of Representatives on January 13 by Representative Steve Cohen. This bill would amend the Internal Revenue Code to make the excise tax on pipe tobacco equal to the tax on roll-your-own tobacco, which is $24.78 per pound. This bill has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means, which is the committee responsible for writing tax legislation. Although there is no related bill in the Senate, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind should one be introduced.

Thank you again for contacting me, and please do not hesitate to do so in the future on this or any other matter of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Al Franken
United States Senator
[/quote]

Yay!

Thanks Al!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...