Stop The Insane Tobacco Tax!

[quote name='ryno' date='15 February 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1266217586' post='451495']
I signed and still haven't got anything emailed back to me yet. I might have to make some phone calls.
[/quote]

Change your name to a girls name and grow some tits, then they will respond.

I got this response not quite a week ago:

Dear Mr. Perry,

Thank you for contacting my office about opposing H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010. Your input is important to me and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

I understand your concern that such a proposal would result in a dramatic cost increase for products that many Americans enjoy every day and could potentially negatively affect small businesses who sell tobacco products. The Tobacco Tax Parity Act is currently in the House Committee on Ways and Means. Should the bill be introduced into the Senate, the insights you have provided will certainly help my staff and me as we look into the issue.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

got this email today

[font=Arial, sans-serif][size=2][size=2][size=3]Dear Mr. Kerschner:[/size][/size]

[size=2][size=3] [/size][/size]

[size=2][size=3]Thank you for getting in touch with me about proposals to increase taxes on pipe tobacco. It's great to hear from you.[/size][/size]

[size=2][size=3]I appreciate hearing of your opposition to the Tobacco Tax Parity Act (H.R. 4439). This legislation would tax pipe tobacco at the same rate as roll-your-own tobacco. H.R. 4439 is a House of Representatives bill. There is currently no similar bill in the Senate. Knowing of your views will be helpful to me should this bill come before the Senate in the future.[/size][/size]

[size=2][size=3]Thanks once again for writing. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future. [/size][/size]

[font="Courier New"]Sincerely,
Barbara A. Mikulski
United States Senator
[/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif][size=2] [/size][/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif][size=2] [/size][/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif][size=2][font="Courier New"]think ima go sign it somemore[/font][/size][/font]

[quote name='wayfarinstranger' date='19 February 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1266559977' post='452358']
I got this response not quite a week ago:

Dear Mr. Perry,

Thank you for contacting my office about opposing H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010. Your input is important to me and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

I understand your concern that such a proposal would result in a dramatic cost increase for products that many Americans enjoy every day and could potentially negatively affect small businesses who sell tobacco products.[b] The Tobacco Tax Parity Act is currently in the House Committee on Ways and Means. Should the bill be introduced into the Senate,[/b] the insights you have provided will certainly help my staff and me as we look into the issue.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

[/quote]
If it gets past the House Ways and Means Committee, it will go to the Senate Finance Committee THEN the entire senate. If it makes it past there, it then has to go to the president. Then, even if the president passes it, it can be also be vetoed. So ya, if its still in the House Ways and Means Committee, it still has a long time before it will be enacted. Plus, you know how slow the government is at doing anything.

[quote name='Codename067' date='26 January 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1264495212' post='447745']
No worries guys, Keep up the good work.

Please, everyone else that views this and DOES sign, post something and let us know! I see 10x more views than posts!

And for those of you who aren't doing anything, I'll send you guys cookies or something if you do it [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]

Rani, good work!
[/quote]

signed it now weres my cookies Ha ha. 30th from utah

[quote name='hookahthis' date='28 February 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1267382635' post='454332']
[quote name='Codename067' date='26 January 2010 - 01:40 AM' timestamp='1264495212' post='447745']
No worries guys, Keep up the good work.

Please, everyone else that views this and DOES sign, post something and let us know! I see 10x more views than posts!

And for those of you who aren't doing anything, I'll send you guys cookies or something if you do it [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]

Rani, good work!
[/quote]

signed it now weres my cookies Ha ha. 30th from utah
[/quote]

Sorry, I ran out a long time ago.

[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]

" At this time, H.R. 4439, proposed federal legislation to increase the pipe tobacco tax to the same rate of the RYO tax, has little life or attention in Congress. Lobbyists from the IPCPR the Pipe Tobacco Council (a division of the Cigar Association of America (CAA)), and others have met with key members of Congress to discuss and detail our industry's opposition to the bill. H.R. 4439 is currently sitting in the U.S. House of Representatives' Ways & Means Committee. No hearings or further action has been scheduled at this time nor do we expect any immediate action. Several more meetings are scheduled with Congress in the coming days."
- from an IPCPR newsletter I just received:

IPCPR = International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association
www.IPCPR.org

[quote name='cotsi95' date='28 February 2010 - 06:51 PM' timestamp='1267411901' post='454395']
" At this time, H.R. 4439, proposed federal legislation to increase the pipe tobacco tax to the same rate of the RYO tax, [b]has little life or attention in Congress[/b]. Lobbyists from the IPCPR the Pipe Tobacco Council (a division of the Cigar Association of America (CAA)), and others have met with key members of Congress to discuss and detail our industry's opposition to the bill. H.R. 4439 is currently sitting in the U.S. House of Representatives' Ways & Means Committee. No hearings or further action has been scheduled at this time nor do we expect any immediate action. Several more meetings are scheduled with Congress in the coming days."
- from an IPCPR newsletter I just received:

IPCPR = International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association
www.IPCPR.org

[/quote]

[b]MONAY![/b]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Thank you for your correspondence regarding the tax increase on pipe tobacco. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns. [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]As you know, Representative Steve Cohen (D-TN-9) introduced H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010. This legislation would amend the Internal Revenue code to impose the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is already imposed on roll-your-own tobacco products. The tax increase would go from $2.83 to $24.78. [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Florida is home to many small business owners who specialize in pipe tobacco. As a supporter of lowering taxes, I believe that raising taxes in this economic climate will harm efforts to promote job creation, economic growth, and potential growth of Florida’s small businesses. Currently, this bill has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means. Should this measure come before the Senate for consideration, I will keep your thoughts in mind. [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]It is an honor and privilege to serve the people of the great State of Florida in the United States Senate. I take great pride in being a native Floridian, and I look forward to the tremendous opportunity to better the lives of all Floridians. I assure you I will work hard to represent our state to the best of my ability in the U.S. Senate. If I can be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.[/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="4"][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Very truly yours,[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]George S. LeMieux[/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]United States Senator[/size][/font][/size][/font]

So wrote a few emails and letters and got this back

[color=#444444][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=2][font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Dear Mr Chan:[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Thank you for writing my office regarding the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 (H.R. 4439). I appreciate the benefit of your views. [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]On January 13, 2010, Representative Steve Cohen introduced the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 in the House of Representatives. This bill proposes to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to impose the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is imposed on roll-your-own tobacco. [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]One of the sources of revenue for the Children’s Health Insurance Program is from a tax imposed on certain types of tobacco. The tobacco industry found a loophole in this tax bill by labeling and re-marketing roll-your-own tobacco as pipe tobacco in order to keep product costs low. Higher taxes on cigarette purchases have proven an effective way to discourage children from smoking. The Tobacco Tax Parity Act closes this loophole by imposing the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is imposed on roll-your-own tobacco. [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]The House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee is currently reviewing this measure. As a member of the United States Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind should this legislation come up for a vote on the Senate floor.[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]I will continue to listen closely to what you and other Illinoisans have to say about matters before Congress, the concerns of our communities, and the issues facing Illinois and the nation. My job is not about merely supporting or opposing legislation; it is also about bridging the divide that has paralyzed our nation's politics[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Sincerely,[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Roland W. Burris[/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]United States Senator[/size][/font]

[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#444444][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#444444][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=2]Sad pandas...[/size][/font][/color]

[font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=2][size=3]Dear Friend:[/size]

[font=serif][size=3] [/size][/font]

[size=3]Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1256, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. I appreciate hearing from you on such an important issue because it enables me to better represent the beliefs and values of our district.[/size]

[size=3] [/size]

[size=3]Tobacco is a serious public health risk and a leading cause of death in America, killing over 400,000 people a year. Its effects are not limited to just smokers, the treatment of tobacco related illnesses costs our already overburdened health care system billions of dollars per year. Despite multiple pervious attempts to regulate the sale, advertisement and content of tobacco, the problem persists nearly unabated. To that end, I have and will continue to support efforts to control this deadly addition.[/size]

[size=3] [/size]

[size=3]As you may know, H.R. 1256 would give the FDA the authority to regulate tobacco products in order to prevent tobacco manufacturers from enticing young people to use these harmful products and to assist current smokers and other tobacco users in quitting. It is designed to prevent tobacco advertising that targets children, to prevent the sale of tobacco products to minors, to help tobacco users overcome their addiction, to identify and reduce the toxic constituents of tobacco products and tobacco smoke for those who continue to be exposed to them. Additionally, it aims to regulate claims about reduced risk of tobacco products, and to prevent the tobacco industry from misleading the public about the dangers of smoking.[/size]

[size=3] [/size]

[size=3]I would like you to know that I am a proud cosponsor of this important legislation and was happy to support the bill which became Public Law 111-31 on June 22, 2009.[/size]

[size=3] [/size]

[size=3]Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this issue. Please feel free to contact me in the future regarding this or any other matter. Additionally, I invite you to visit my website at [url="http://www.lipinski.house.gov/"]www.lipinski.house.gov[/url] to learn about my work at home and in Washington as well as to sign up for E-newsletters.[/size]

[size=3] [/size]

[font=serif][size=3]Sincerely,[/size][/font]

[font=serif][size=3]DANIEL W. LIPINSKI[/size][/font]

[font=serif][size=3]
[/size][/font]

[font=serif][size=3]
[/size][/font]

[font=serif][size=3]
[/size][/font]

[font=serif][size=3]
[/size][/font]

[font=serif][size=3]
[/size][/font]

[font=serif][size=3]
[/size][/font]

[font=serif][size=3]I could've sworn I had another email from another dumbasss. I can't find it though[/size][/font]

[/size][/font]

wow rhineholt, your senator is an ignorant bastard and needs to be fired. he has numerous misspelled words and his grammar is terrible. If you are a senator, you need to learn how to spell and properly structure a sentence. Also, you need to know your facts before spewing bullshit.

Last time I checked, the leading cause of death in America is obesity, NOT smoking. I am all for rules that regulate/eliminate second hand smoke, i love them, so I understand him there, but don't fuck with peoples rights when they don't concern anyone else but that person. if a person wants to smoke their cigg, cigar, or hookah, let them be as long as they aren't hurting anyone else. That why i love the ban on smoking in drinking bars, but hate the ban on smoking in a cigar bar or a hookah bar.

i also think its bullshit that every time someone is fighting for a cause, it is ALWAYS the leading cause of death. If you are fighting against tobacco, then tobacco is the leading cause of death. if you are fighting against abortion, the abortion is the leading cause of death. if you are fighting for cancer, then cancer is the leading cause of death. if you are fighting pollution, then pollution is the leading cause of death...blah blah blah. its damn retarded.

pretty soon i bet we will have a law against dying. "oh, your going to die? here is your fine, court date, and misdemeanor!"

same shit happened in Australia with taxes, locally it costs $110 aud for 250grams of al fakher etc thats all we can really get our hands on seeing as tobacconists here dont even stock shisha gear in south australia. Edited by delSol_si
nht

[quote name='delSol_si' date='05 March 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1267847224' post='455515']
i also think its bullshit that every time someone is fighting for a cause, it is ALWAYS the leading cause of death. If you are fighting against tobacco, then tobacco is the leading cause of death. if you are fighting against abortion, the abortion is the leading cause of death. if you are fighting for cancer, then cancer is the leading cause of death. if you are fighting pollution, then pollution is the leading cause of death...blah blah blah. its damn retarded.

pretty soon i bet we will have a law against dying. "oh, your going to die? here is your fine, court date, and misdemeanor!"
[/quote]

Who is pro cancer?

[quote name='Skoozle' date='05 March 2010 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1267843952' post='455503']
Rineholt, your senator is a bastard.
[/quote]

I agree with that, but at least he made an actual response. All my senator does is have somebody send an automated e-mail back to me. Plus, at least you aren't stuck with Orin Hatch.[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif[/img]

Btw, signed the petition.

These "taxes " have nothing to do with trying to care for the health of children or anybody at all. They are looking for a way to get exta money to fund their pet projects. What better way to get them by digging in our pockets. I could bet that if somebody went after their hobby by imposing a tax, they wouldn't stand for it.

Sigh... Rineholt...

It's terrible that he sent you a big middle finger, dressed up in silver-spoon-up-the-ass formalities. Badly done, at that.

I brought up the issue of the tobacco tax to MY senator in person no less, aaanddd.. She sat me down and talked to me about the ongoing issue with "tobacco use becoming a terrible vice in the vitality of today's youth, and how she would love to help me with not only my own delima, but to further prevent such atrocities from damaging citizens of my generation any further".

.... [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/Guillotine_anim.gif[/img]

Luckily for me, the totally kick-ass africans that run my local international market don't charge tax!!! 5 bucks even for 250g cans of nakhla, and 2.50 for a pack of smokes!!! I don't smoke cigs, but still. Wowww. I hope they stay in business for eternity.

signed and emails sent unfortunately Dave King is a dumbass and i am placing bets that guy sends me the as dave said " big middle finger, dressed up in silver-spoon-up-the-ass formalities". I was the 44th from Iowa to sign the thing