New Legislation To Increase Pipe Tobacco Tax Rates

Yep. The government ran out of the money they already took from us, and now they raise taxes so they can mis spend more of the money they get from us. I tell you, the government is like that piece of shit grown child who constantly needs money and spends it on dumb shit. And when you put your foot down, they act like you're the worst person in the world for not giving them another chunk of your hard earned money. [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/774_smiley_getting_kicked_in_the_balls.gif[/img]

[quote name='Sonthert' date='29 January 2010 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1264798027' post='448424']
So, this was brought to my attention by AZCoyote, Dan Fishman. In the snuff world, they are pissed about the PACT Act..."Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking" Another piece of B.S. legislation. Its much further along than this piece of crap HR4439. Most of it is silly and pointless and [size="3"][u][b]would be, if past Supreme Court Findings are upheld, found unconstitutional and struck down. [/b][/u][/size]

However, there is one piece of the legislation that is a pain in the ass for Hookah People, and that's this provision:

"Amends the federal criminal code to treat cigarettes and smokeless tobacco as nonmailable matter and prohibit their deposit into the U.S. mails. Requires the USPS to refuse to accept for delivery or transmit through the mails any package that it knows or has reasonable cause to believe contains any cigarettes or smokeless tobacco made nonmailable by this Act. "

They want to ban tobacco from shipment by the USPS. Cigars and shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are exempted. FedEx and UPS are exempted. In some cases, shipping tobacco to you guys through the postal service is preferable, so removing that would be a pain in the ass. It would probably end free samples from Tangiers. ;)

Its passed the House, its in the Senate. Please write a couple of more letters for us, write to your senators this time. Tell them you are opposed to S1147, the PACT Act. The Dan is trying to get the snuff people to support us in opposition to HR4439. They seem like a smaller group, but ther support would be helpful! Write an email, send it to both senators in the state you live in. Simple.

Thanks much.

Your Tobaccially,
Eric
[/quote]

maybe, i'm unfimiliar with those past findings BUT we have to remember how our judiciary works in this country. the judges, supreme court included, only have the power if the case is brought to court. i remember reading about something which was about to be overturned, but when the government found out that things weren't going their way (this was about the patriot act, if i remember correctly) they just dropped the case (now i remember, it was about the regulatory commerce clause [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2m-X7OIuY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2m-X7OIuY[/url] Napolitano is a cool guy, that's where he mentioned it) ANYWAY! the courts were going to overturn this but the government found out that it was going to be overturned and declare the patriot act unconstitutional. the point is this: if there is no case before a judge, s/he basically has no power.

Heres what my senator wrote me!!

Dear Mr.
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Thank you for your correspondence regarding the tax increase on pipe tobacco. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns. [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]As you know, Representative Steve Cohen (D-TN-9) introduced H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010. This legislation would amend the Internal Revenue code to impose the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is already imposed on roll-your-own tobacco products. The tax increase would go from $2.83 to $24.78. [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Florida is home to many small business owners who specialize in pipe tobacco. As a supporter of lowering taxes, I believe that raising taxes in this economic climate will harm efforts to promote job creation, economic growth, and potential growth of Florida’s small businesses. Currently, this bill has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means. Should this measure come before the Senate for consideration, I will keep your thoughts in mind. [/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]It is an honor and privilege to serve the people of the great State of Florida in the United States Senate. I take great pride in being a native Floridian, and I look forward to the tremendous opportunity to better the lives of all Floridians. I assure you I will work hard to represent our state to the best of my ability in the U.S. Senate. If I can be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.[/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="4"][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]Very truly yours,[/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]George S. LeMieux[/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="4"]United States Senator[/size][/font][/size][/font]

wait so eric said his product is only like 18% actual tobacco leaf by weight...then shouldn't they only increase the tax on that part of the weight, not the weight of the whole product. I know thats not how it works, but wouldn't that be a good compromise. Take the percentage that the tobacco is in the product and only tax that percentage in relation to the weight of the product. I don't really want to do the math so i dont know how that would work out numbers wise, but my thinking is that it would be much less than what has been said.

Sorry if that didn't make sense haha

Anyway I'm writing my letter as we speak.

Reviving this particular thread because I just received an email from Senator Feinstein about the attempt to ban tobacco from being shipped via US mail....... Doesn't sound good.............

'Rani

[font="arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif"][size="2"][size="2"][size="2"]Dear Ms. Kennedy[/size][size="2"]:[/size][/size]

[size="2"] [size="2"]Thank you for writing to me to express your opposition to the "Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking (PACT) Act of 2009." I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.[/size][/size]

[size="2"] [size="2"]On May 21, 2009, Senator Kohl (D-WI) introduced the "PACT Act" (S. 1147). This bill would amend the Jenkins Act to include smokeless tobacco as a regulated substance and impose shipping and recordkeeping requirements on sellers. The "PACT Act" would make it a federal offense for any seller of tobacco products to undertake a sale via telephone, the mail, or the Internet or fail to comply with all state tax laws. It would empower states to enforce their laws against out-of-state venders selling cigarettes within their borders, and gives state attorneys general the authority to seek injunctive relief and civil penalties against violators. The "PACT Act" would also require Internet and other sellers to verify the purchaser's age and identity and that the person accepting delivery to verify their age.[/size][/size]

[size="2"] [size="2"]On November 19, 2009, the "PACT Act" was passed by the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am a member. Please know that I will keep your opposition in mind when the "PACT Act" is considered by the full Senate.[/size][/size]

[size="2"] [size="2"]Again, thank you for contacting me. If you should have any further comments or questions, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.[/size][/size]

[/size][/font][font="arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif"][size="2"]Sincerely yours, [/size][/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif"][size="2"]Dianne Feinstein [/size][/font]
[font="arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif"][size="2"]United States Senator[/size][/font]

[quote name='PSU Smoker' date='02 March 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1267563046' post='454845']
awesome...more hassles coming our way... :sigh:
[/quote]

Yeah, and this is scary as hell because it would effectively put all internet retailers out of business from what she's saying here. I don't know who's running against her next term, but no matter who it is, I'm voting for the other guy.

'Rani

This didn't really tell me much of anything...got it today

Dear Mr. Conley:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 . The concerns of my constituents are of great importance to me, and I rely on you and other Pennsylvanians to inform me of your views. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office or visit my website at http://specter.senate.gov. Thank you again for writing.

<P align=center>Sincerely,

[center]Arlen Specter [/center]

This is unreal. Maybe this is the kick in the ass some of us need to realize the government is not on our side. They think they will generate more revenue with this when it would end all revenue since most people wouldn't throw down so much dough for shisha. Our country has been bankrupt for more than 50 years. Dollar has lost 97% of its value since the criminal Federal Reserve started in 1913. It's the hidden tax of inflation and we all pay it every day. And now to further finance the biggest debt in the history of the world, this horrible bill. We all need to rally against this.

[quote name='hookahlou' date='03 March 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1267667233' post='455100']
This is unreal. Maybe this is the kick in the ass some of us need to realize the government is not on our side. They think they will generate more revenue with this when it would end all revenue since most people wouldn't throw down so much dough for shisha. Our country has been bankrupt for more than 50 years. Dollar has lost 97% of its value since the criminal Federal Reserve started in 1913. It's the hidden tax of inflation and we all pay it every day. And now to further finance the biggest debt in the history of the world, this horrible bill. We all need to rally against this.
[/quote]

I think a big part of the problem is that they're incredibly detached from the general population. If someone isn't part of a politically active organization then their voice goes unnoticed because quite simply, they're not hearing us. I don't think Congress has even the slightest clue how much anger there really is out here against them all. Had an idea............

One of the most powerful actions taken within congress is a "Vote of No Confidence" against a member they others feel isn't doing their job. Well, how about a petition exercising a "Vote of No Confidence" against the entire Congress being circulated around the country via the internet? I've never done one before but I am a writer, so if anyone is up for helping I'm willing to get it started and we can begin the circulation.

I'm tired of this crap they're pulling but if I don't do something, anything, to make my own and other voices heard then when they take away my last personal freedoms I have no one to blame but myself. I'm not prepared to live with the "having done nothing" side of that coin. Anybody up to help me put it together?

'Rani

[b]Oh, and by the way, I also got this response to an email I sent Feinstein saying I'm beginning to want to impose term limits to get rid of all of them........ Off topic but really part of the same issue.
[/b]

[size="2"][size="2"][size="2"]Dear [/size][size="2"]Ms. Kennedy[/size][size="2"]:[/size][/size][/size]
[size="2"][size="2"] [/size][/size]
[size="2"][size="2"] [size="2"]Thank you for contacting me regarding congressional term limits. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response. [/size][/size][/size]

[size="2"][size="2"] [size="2"]As you know, United States Senators and Representatives are not subject to statutory term limits. Senators are elected to six year terms, staggered so that one third of the Senate runs for reelection every two years. In 1995, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that state-imposed limits on congressional tenure violate the Constitution and that term limits can only be set through passage and ratification of an amendment to the U.S. Constitution. In 1995, Congress attempted to pass such an amendment, but this effort ultimately failed in the Senate and in the House. You may be interested to know that Senator David Vitter (R-LA) has introduced a similar Constitutional amendment in the 111th Congress, S.J.Res. 1, to establish a two-term limit for members of the Senate and a six-term limit for members of the House of Representatives. [/size][/size][/size]

[size="2"][size="2"] [size="2"]I personally have found that as I gain experience in the Senate, my ability to effectively represent Californians grows as well. I believe the ballot box is the most powerful term limit. When an elected official no longer meets the needs of constituents, the voters can select another representative. Be assured that I will continue to work hard in the United States Senate to promote governmental transparency and accountability, and to improve public confidence in elected officials. [/size][/size][/size]

[size="2"][size="2"] [size="2"]Once again, thank you for writing to me. If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.[/size][/size][/size]

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

[b]How's that for my Senator thumbing her nose back? Didn't even get that the point of terms limits is because they're not living up to their responsibilities toward the American people. Just a slap in the face reminder that they're not going to vote to limit their own careers - and completely missing the fact that as a Republic, we can change the Law of the Land to reflect our preferences rather than continuing to support the political machine. I don't know that we could actually pass term limits, but a movement to impose them might instill a moment of fear and shake their "I've got a secure job forever if I just keep blowing smoke up my votes asses" attitude.

'Rani[/b]

What we need to do is really the people to put it to a common vote. local government does it all the time (ie proposition 8 in cali).
If there was a way you could amend the constitution with a popular vote then it would by-pass congress and be the will of the people.
I will have to look into it further.
Ray

[quote name='Rani' date='03 March 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1267671688' post='455115']
[quote name='hookahlou' date='03 March 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1267667233' post='455100']
[/quote]

I think a big part of the problem is that they're incredibly detached from the general population. If someone isn't part of a politically active organization then their voice goes unnoticed because quite simply, they're not hearing us. I don't think Congress has even the slightest clue how much anger there really is out here against them all. Had an idea............

One of the most powerful actions taken within congress is a "Vote of No Confidence" against a member they others feel isn't doing their job. Well, how about a petition exercising a "Vote of No Confidence" against the entire Congress being circulated around the country via the internet? I've never done one before but I am a writer, so if anyone is up for helping I'm willing to get it started and we can begin the circulation.

I'm tired of this crap they're pulling but if I don't do something, anything, to make my own and other voices heard then when they take away my last personal freedoms I have no one to blame but myself. I'm not prepared to live with the "having done nothing" side of that coin. Anybody up to help me put it together?

'Rani
[/quote]

I really really think they should have term limits. And I loved how in the response to your other email, they said the longer they are in there, the better they can represent the people...

[quote name='Venger' date='04 March 2010 - 08:38 AM' timestamp='1267720688' post='455235']
What we need to do is really the people to put it to a common vote. local government does it all the time (ie proposition 8 in cali).
If there was a way you could amend the constitution with a popular vote then it would by-pass congress and be the will of the people.
I will have to look into it further.
Ray
[/quote]

Yes! What she completely overlooks is that we the people can change the Constitution through popular vote. They're certainly never going to do it themselves and states don't have the power to do it. But they are removing more and more of our personal freedoms and we're not stopping them because our system isolates us. I as a Californian can't influence the Senator from New York, or Oklahoma, etc. They could care less what I think - I'm Barbara Boxers and Dianne Feinstein's problem. But if we through popular vote can impose term limits through a constitutional amendment, then we will accomplish two things. We will affect the Congress as a whole entity through the will of the people. And we will put them back on notice that we, not they are in charge of the Republic. They've been chipping away at our freedom for decades and even if I didn't smoke at all, this last threat with it's incredibly far reaching implications is the absolutely last straw. PACT will potentially close down every single internet retailer of tobacco products. Surely we're not going to let this happen?

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' date='03 March 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1267671688' post='455115']
[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

Good thinking. But they really don't care about constituents. About 98% of people were against the banker bailout and Congressmen were getting 100 to 1 calls to not pass it and they did it anyway. 70+% don't want health care but they want to do it anyway. Then they hire police thugs to intimidate sick people with cancer in wheelchairs who have things to say at a town hall meeting. It doesn't matter where you stand on these issues, the point is they don't care about the people. They are in a whole different universe. Within a congressmen's first few weeks, he/she is approached by a number of lobbyists and insiders and they will get their payday then if they cater to their needs, not the people's.