Bringing Hookah Pipes Into The U.S - Customs Issues?

So I've been in Egypt for a number of months, enjoying the life and the people. I bought a few hookahs because they're so cheap here and I really want to bring them back to the U.S. The question - Customs regulations has restrictions against drug paraphernalia, but drug paraphernalia is an extremely vague term. I'd like to know if anyone's had issues receiving hookahs through the mail or taking them through U.S. customs. Does anyone have any tips for this? The obvious thing that occurs to me is to disassemble the pipes into parts and pack them seperately. Please note that I'm NOT taking any tobacco back. I'm taking the pipes, hagar, and hoses only.

Again, any advice would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks!

They're definitely exempt. I think they've been mainstream for long enough for Customs agents to know fully what they are. I've brought two back to the US, once in 05 (no questions), and once last summer, when it was clearly visible sticking out of my carry-on, and the Customs guy smiled, waved me through, and said "ooh, nice hookah!"

You can bring tobacco back too, by the way.

They can only bust you for paraphernalia if there's NHT residue present, especially in the case of a hookah

[quote name='Hassouni' date='20 January 2010 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1264030107' post='446690']
They're definitely exempt. I think they've been mainstream for long enough for Customs agents to know fully what they are. I've brought two back to the US, once in 05 (no questions), and once last summer, when it was clearly visible sticking out of my carry-on, and the Customs guy smiled, waved me through, and said "ooh, nice hookah!"

You can bring tobacco back too, by the way.

They can only bust you for paraphernalia if there's NHT residue present, especially in the case of a hookah
[/quote]

very true. hookahs are just considered a smoking device. similar to normal pipes. but the second you put any drug into it, its drug paraphernalia. exactly right about residue too, most of my friends are cops in various cities. when i mailed mine, they did require me to thoroughly clean it first...duh, ya know.

No problems. It's such a commonplace thing for Americans to bring back hookahs into the US from the Middle East that Customs are already accustomed to seeing them and know what they are: A glorified candle stick.

[quote name='Cinnamon Larry' date='21 January 2010 - 02:11 AM' timestamp='1264029085' post='446686']
So I've been in Egypt for a number of months, enjoying the life and the people. I bought a few hookahs because they're so cheap here and I really want to bring them back to the U.S. The question - Customs regulations has restrictions against drug paraphernalia, but drug paraphernalia is an extremely vague term. I'd like to know if anyone's had issues receiving hookahs through the mail or taking them through U.S. customs. Does anyone have any tips for this? The obvious thing that occurs to me is to disassemble the pipes into parts and pack them seperately. Please note that I'm NOT taking any tobacco back. I'm taking the pipes, hagar, and hoses only.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I send hookahs and pipes to my family on a fairly frequent basis with no problems. The ARMY mailing system requires that the bowls have to be unused, if there is any visible shisha residue, they wont' let me. The tobacco has to be in new, sealed packages. I would contact FedEX and see what they say, shipping stuff home is the cheapest and easiest. I've also cleared customs without a blink with my hookah pipe and baccy in tow.

[quote name='Scrappydoo' date='22 January 2010 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1264168363' post='447070']
[quote name='Cinnamon Larry' date='21 January 2010 - 02:11 AM' timestamp='1264029085' post='446686']

Thanks!
[/quote]

I send hookahs and pipes to my family on a fairly frequent basis with no problems. The ARMY mailing system requires that the bowls have to be unused, if there is any visible shisha residue, they wont' let me. The tobacco has to be in new, sealed packages. I would contact FedEX and see what they say, shipping stuff home is the cheapest and easiest. I've also cleared customs without a blink with my hookah pipe and baccy in tow.
[/quote]

hey scrappy do you get free mps mail while your deployed? apo-apo?