Will Hookah Greatly Affect My Workout

hey been working out lately walk/jogging about 3 miles every othere and havent smoked since i stared i wondering if any of you work out and smoke hookah if you have had any physical problems such as breathing or headaches ect.

I lift weights an do cardio about 3-4 days a week. I also probably walk a few miles a day between classes. I have never been affected by it. I even smoked for an hour and a half immediately before I went for a 35 minute run. No problems. The only breathing problems I have is when I run because I'm slow and hate running and I only do it once a month haha. As long as you keep your body very hydrated you will be fine. Smoking nicotine causes your body to dehydrate, so make sure you fill up on plenty of liquids. Edited by LZ22

It will affect your lungs/fitness in a similar way cigarettes would. So if you're working out for fitness (part of a sport team or something) then you might want to cut down on the smoking. If you just want to lose weight/get bulky then it shouldn't affect you. Drink plenty of water though, as smoking and exercising will both dehydrate you.

i'll disagree with the poster above me....cigarettes have a more pronounced affect on me than hooka does. imo, neither will "greatly" affect your cardio....you may lose a step or two, but that's it....

then again, that really depends on you and your level of fitness....

I surf quite a bit, and I feel a greater effect on endurance by changes in diet then on smoking although its hard to say since the only time i smoke 2 or 3 hours a day is during finals and when you are under stress its hard to get a realistic judgement on lung health.

[quote] i'll disagree with the poster above me....cigarettes have a more pronounced affect on me than hooka does. imo, neither will "greatly" affect your cardio [/quote]

True. But my point was smoking shisha can still affect you. The reason cigarettes affect you more is because it is more toxic and less filtered than shisha. That doesn't mean that shisha won't harm you, it just means it'd take longer or won't be as bad. But it is all relative to how much and how often you smoke, I guess.

Anyways, as I missed it the first time I posted, it won't affect you 'greatly'. Most people won't even realize it affecting them. But a non-smoker will always be healthier than a smoker, regardless.

[quote name='A7mad' date='11 January 2010 - 12:44 AM' timestamp='1263188673' post='444479']
As far as the OP goes, honestly I've never noticed a difference from hookah. I lift weights, run, etc and nothing has bothered me. Unless it's just me being out of shape when it's been a while lol.

[quote] i'll disagree with the poster above me....cigarettes have a more pronounced affect on me than hooka does. imo, neither will "greatly" affect your cardio [/quote]

True. But my point was smoking shisha can still affect you. The reason cigarettes affect you more is because it is more toxic and less filtered than shisha. That doesn't mean that shisha won't harm you, it just means it'd take longer or won't be as bad. But it is all relative to how much and how often you smoke, I guess.

Anyways, as I missed it the first time I posted, it won't affect you 'greatly'. Most people won't even realize it affecting them. But a non-smoker will always be healthier than a smoker, regardless.
[/quote]

Well firstly I won't disagree with you, being a non-smoker is the healthiest option, because inhaling any type of smoke isn't healthy.

However I will have to disagree with you on everything else. Not trying to be hard on the new guy, just stating an opinion.

- shisha really isn't really filtered even if people claim that's what the water does

- There's not much toxic about shisha. As it's mostly tobacco, molasses/sugar, glycerin. The coals used to heat the shisha are worse for you than the shisha itself.

Other that that I agree it's not as bad by a long shot but smoke is in general a bad thing lol.

i smoke for 4 hours a day, i can run a mile in 8 miniutes (thats fast as hell for someone whos 220) but cant run anymore after that.

yea it will effect it though. anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot.

in will primarley effect cardio. reduced lung capacity, reduced ability to absorb oxygen.

if you dont push for %100 percent you will probably not notices to many changes.

on a side note i smoke cigs as well, so im sure that adds to it. Edited by Jacob Shock

[quote name='Jacob Shock' date='11 January 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1263238572' post='444563']
i smoke for 4 hours a day, i can run a mile in 8 miniutes (thats fast as hell for someone whos 220) but cant run anymore after that.

yea it will effect it though. anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot.

in will primarley effect cardio. reduced lung capacity, reduced ability to absorb oxygen.

if you dont push for %100 percent you will probably not notices to many changes.

on a side note i smoke cigs as well, so im sure that adds to it.
[/quote]

Well guess I'll be an idiot since I'm going to disagree with you.

At your weight (which isn't atrocious but high for runners) + smoking ciggs I doubt you can objectively give an opinion on how exclusively smoking hookah can effect your work outs.

As a college soccer player I would say it will affect you a little compared to if to didn't smoke at all but if you are working out n doing cardio frequently you probably won't notice a difference. I'm and outside mid field player which is the postition on the pitch that sees the most running or ground covered and I can't tell a difference from before I smoked n played. But if you not doing cardio frequently you will notice a change. I majored in evercise sports science in college so I know a thing or to about the effects of smoking on the cardio vascular system. Lol I hope!

[quote name='JOE' date='11 January 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1263262502' post='444618']
yah im trying to rig a portable hookah, so i can go jogging WITH it
[/quote]

that would be sweet lol imagine on the comments and arguements that would bring