Microsoft Or Linux

thatonethere

Which software do you like the best, and why?

It really depends on what you're looking for. Most people are looking for some mix of usability, utility, value and entertainment value. For usability and entertainment value, Windows would probably work out well for you. It's easy to use and has a wide range of easy to use software available for it. For utility and value, I think Linux works very well. You dont need virus protection for it. You can surf the web without worry. Some security is needed, but not the total lockdown required in Windows. But you sacrifice ease of use and some of the entertainment value. I like both for different reasons. So it's really a question of what you want.

[quote name='Bulldog_916' date='29 December 2009 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1262141546' post='442402']
It really depends on what you're looking for. Most people are looking for some mix of usability, utility, value and entertainment value. For usability and entertainment value, Windows would probably work out well for you. It's easy to use and has a wide range of easy to use software available for it. For utility and value, I think Linux works very well. You dont need virus protection for it. You can surf the web without worry. Some security is needed, but not the total lockdown required in Windows. But you sacrifice ease of use and some of the entertainment value. I like both for different reasons. So it's really a question of what you want.
[/quote]

windows for gaming

linux for anything else basically (besides music, but id use mac for that)

[quote name='Scoop' date='29 December 2009 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1262141827' post='442405']
[quote name='Bulldog_916' date='29 December 2009 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1262141546' post='442402']
[/quote]

windows for gaming

[/quote]

except that macs music player is for any platform XD

linux if your looking for free everything, and your not planning on doing gaming...or using a program you find on the shelves at a store...or if you dont think you can fix your own computer...

windows for everyone else.

[quote name='K1024' date='29 December 2009 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1262148585' post='442420']
[quote name='Scoop' date='29 December 2009 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1262141827' post='442405']
[/quote]

windows for gaming

[/quote]

except that macs music player is for any platform XD

linux if your looking for free everything, and your not planning on doing gaming...or using a program you find on the shelves at a store...or if you dont think you can fix your own computer...

windows for everyone else.
[/quote]

not playing music. making it. macs interface much better through usb than windows.

personally i use xp ultimate which is a blend of xp vista linux and mac os. its based on xp so its basicly xp with some tricks up its sleeve. i also run vmware should i ever get a hankering or need to run another operating system.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='mattarios2' date='20 February 2010 - 09:24 AM' timestamp='1266683044' post='452610']
Windows 7 has definitely stepped up, but why not just dual boot both operating systems?
[/quote]

I have both on mine. I haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet. I still have XP. I used to do everything with Linux, but for some reason, I went to upgrade to Linux 9.1, and when I went to reboot my system ,that partition died. Luckily, I can still access all of my music and other stuff from my Linux partition through the Windows partition, so that's what I've been using until I can get off my lazy butt and fix my Linux partition.

Burning cds and playing music on Windows really sucks though. Edited by thatonethere

Linux is alot more simple, very much for the creative programmer to improve on at will. My cousin works for redhat and he will never go back to Microsoft and swears by it.

im personally always going to be a fan of the wonderful monopoly known only as microsoft, Windows 7 has rebuilt them in my heart, and there has never been a cleaner, more full (drivers) operating system.

anyways the decision is all yours :)

I use Windows and I like it, but what I've seen Macs look nice. I ran Linux for a while, but found it tricky, but then again I was preeeeetty young when I tried it, like, 12 or 13. I kinda wanna try Linux again.

yeah scott, they have gone places since then. They have laptops run entirely on linux based and all sorts of other goodies. peep it sometime