Anyone Into Home Brewing?

MechAnt

[quote name='jezter6' date='18 February 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1266529335' post='452254']
You'll probably tear through this first batch and wonder where your homebrew pipeline is and be bummed that you can't drink homebrew again
[/quote]

I can't wait to experience this, right now it's just a waiting game of when I'll have the space to actually start homebrewing... sucks but I'm really stoked to get into it. Already most of the way through [url="http://www.howtobrew.com/"]How to Brew[/url]...

[quote name='Jeff_T' date='19 February 2010 - 04:56 AM' timestamp='1266573389' post='452394']
[quote name='jezter6' date='18 February 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1266529335' post='452254']
You'll probably tear through this first batch and wonder where your homebrew pipeline is and be bummed that you can't drink homebrew again
[/quote]

I can't wait to experience this, right now it's just a waiting game of when I'll have the space to actually start homebrewing... sucks but I'm really stoked to get into it. Already most of the way through [url="http://www.howtobrew.com/"]How to Brew[/url]...
[/quote]

Even if you can't start brewing, you may find it helpful to go looking for clubs in the area or looking to find some others locally that are brewing and see if you can go watch and learn (and sample some brews) while you're waiting.

In the homebrew community, I've found that brewers are usually very open to showing n00bs the brewing process and helping out wherever possible.

When I first started brewing, I was concerned that there would be recipe hoarding and everyone trying to keep the brewing secrets to themselves so they could start their own breweries and make sure nobody else could compete - but in reality, everyone is great and willing to teach and share recipes and tips.

I found my group on HBT by looking for others who wanted to brew, and some guys who wanted to learn how to brew all grain (and I offered to teach them) - now we're at about 10 regular members who always show up to our quarterly brew-days and another 10 or so that have come to at least one or more.

[quote name='jezter6' date='18 February 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1266529335' post='452254']
[quote name='MechAnt' date='18 February 2010 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1266472564' post='452091']
I bottled on Sunday! Can't wait for the beer to completely carbonate. This weekend I'll crack one open to see how progress has come along.
[/quote]
[b]I know you're going to do it regardless of my advice (hey, we all did it)...but under 1 week to carbonate is unlikely, and you'll just be drinking week old semi-flat beer - the same stuff you tasted when you bottled it.

Hide that beer in the back corner of a room and wait 2-3 weeks for it to really come into its own.
That's why I recommend brewing a second batch almost immediately after the first -- so that by the time this one is carbed up and ready to drink, you'll have one getting bottled.
[/b]
You'll probably tear through this first batch and wonder where your homebrew pipeline is and be bummed that you can't drink homebrew again until April. [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

He's definitely right about that. I was excited about my very first batch, so I opened up one too soon. The beer was gross, but I could defintely taste a difference in the carbonation stage. Get yourself a case of something from the store so it'll keep you occupied until the brew is complete. I found this stragedy helpful whenever I got antsy.