Anyone Into Home Brewing?

MechAnt

Did you get any pics Mech? Hope it turns out well. If you want someone to sample one, I'll be the guinea pig.
I haven't got my brewing equipment yet, but I think the lady friend is getting it for me for my bday in Feb. I've been reading [url="http://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Everything-Right-First/dp/0937381888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264492294&sr=1-1"]How to Brew[/url] and looking at homebrewtalk.com a bit and I'm so stoked to get started. I'm pretty sure I'm going to start with an extract kit IPA then do a Belgian dubbel or tripel. The Belgian is going to be an extract as well with some personal additions. The Belgian will need to bottle condition for at least 2 months, so I wanted to start with something I could drink sooner, about 1.5mon. total for the IPA. Right now, it looks like I'll be getting a kit as I have nothing, not even a kettle, so this seems to be the cheapest/easiest method. I should also be moving into a place in the next few months where I'll actually have room to do everything. There will def be some pics added when I get it going.

I only got a few.

After steeping the specialty grains
[img]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4508/20100122182022.jpg[/img]

Hops boiling after the hot break
[img]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/7651/20100122184147.jpg[/img]

I wish I took some more but it's awesome. I'll snap one tomorrow of my primary.... a bit boring though cause it's just sitting there with the airlock bubbling. I won't lie though, I sat in the doorway of my closet and watched the airlock dance for 5 minutes the next day (massively hungover).

If you're wondering about my set up:

6.5 gal fermenting bucket with drilled gasket for airlock
6.5 gal priming and bottling bucket with spigot
5 gal Better Bottle carboy for secondary fermentation with drilled gasket
Siphon tubing
Auto-Siphon racking cane
Hand bottle capper
No Rinse sanitizer
Bottle Brush
Thermometer
Hydrometer
14" and 18" stirring spoons
5 gal stainless steel boiling pot

My honey pale ale is in the bottles. I bottled it on sat. All in all it was in the fermenter a little over 2 1/2 weeks. My beer should be done on superbowl sunday! [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ylsuper.gif[/img][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/thewave.gif[/img][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/good2.gif[/img][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/bye2.gif[/img][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/rofl.gif[/img][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/band.gif[/img][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/bye.gif[/img]

Been brewing for a few years now (3) and also active on Homebrewtalk was well. Actually have quite a big group on there from my area so it was great to meet up with people and brew.

Been trying to get Mushrat over there to the mead forums as well (which is where I hang out mostly), although I'll pop my head in to the newbie area. If I see any of your screen names I'll be sure to send a shout your way.

Mech: go the 1-2-3 method. 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle. Or 2-3 (2 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in the bottle). For your first time, you probably don't need to secondary, in fact most of us don't do it anymore due to potential for contamination and oxidation. Secondary "fermentation" is a misnomer - no ferment should go on in secondary and it's just a clearing vessel. Not needed for things like stouts, porters, german wheats etc etc.

You'll likely be barely carbed by the second week in the bottle and will wasted a bottle or two trying to drink it young. Make sure you sit a 6er back to age for a few months and see how it tastes once it has the chance to age a little. Yes, you're new and want to consume the crap out of your beer, but your taste buds will be much happier if you can control the urge.

GET STARTED ON YOUR NEXT BATCH!! If you wait until this batch is carbed and drinking it will be gone before your second brew is ready to drink.

First mistake most homebrewers make is waiting for that first batch to finish before deciding if they want to brew another one soon..and they don't have a pipeline.

PM me here or over at HBT if you have any questions...or hit me up on AIM if I'm around and you need something (iamjezter6 on AIM).

Thanks jezter.

Well since most timetables are crap since every batch differs, I'm figuring I'll take a gravity reading on Friday (7 days after pitching) and see if it's done. I want to do Secondary cause Steam Beers aren't really known to be cloudy and I figure might as well pick up experience on clearing and siphoning and keep it there for 10 days. Hookah has taught me patience although I still wanna drink it now! :D

Currently enjoying a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine

Sounds/looks great Mech. I'm thinking my equipment setup is going to be pretty much the same as yours. The reading i've done, like jezter6 stated, has said a secondary isn't usually necessary, so I'll probably be using the better bottle as a 2nd primary so I can get as much going at a time as possible. Also Mech, with the 5gal kettle are you making to wort and then adding like another gallon or 2 of water to the primary to make it a full 5 gal. batch? Do you know what your original gravity was?
Awesome to hear jezter6, I'll prob be def bothering you and asking questions when I get everything going. Do you have anything going right now?
That's awesome Wade, great timing man. Can't wait to hear how everyone's turn out.
Capt. Morgan are they upping the alcohol content by adding more sugars to the primary?
Any suggestions on cleaning/sanitizing? I was thinking of doing PBW cleaner with San Star sanitizer. Also, do you guys reused store bought bottles or have you bought empties to use?
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Jeff_T' date='27 January 2010 - 12:46 AM' timestamp='1264578395' post='447940']
Sounds/looks great Mech. I'm thinking my equipment setup is going to be pretty much the same as yours. The reading i've done, like jezter6 stated, has said a secondary isn't usually necessary, so I'll probably be using the better bottle as a 2nd primary so I can get as much going at a time as possible. Also Mech, with the 5gal kettle are you making to wort and then adding like another gallon or 2 of water to the primary to make it a full 5 gal. batch? Do you know what your original gravity was?
Awesome to hear jezter6, I'll prob be def bothering you and asking questions when I get everything going. Do you have anything going right now?
That's awesome Wade, great timing man. Can't wait to hear how everyone's turn out.
Capt. Morgan are they upping the alcohol content by adding more sugars to the primary?
Any suggestions on cleaning/sanitizing? I was thinking of doing PBW cleaner with San Star sanitizer. Also, do you guys reused store bought bottles or have you bought empties to use?
[/quote

I reused 12 nb bottles that i had for the ones im putting labels on and then I had 12 hoegardden bottles that i used. Mine was only a 2.5g batch so i only got 24 beers out of it. I used san star. Its so simple to use. Just make sure you DONT boil your caps! It will weaken the seal and it can leak. Just soak them in san star.

[quote name='Jeff_T' date='27 January 2010 - 02:46 AM' timestamp='1264578395' post='447940']

[/quote]

Let's see...

I have an Irish Red in it's second week in primary. Will probably toss it into the keg and put in the fridge to cold condition for a month or two until space is available in the keezer.
I have a Brown Porter inside a Rum Barrel getting some oak and Rum notes. Should be bottled any time now when I'm done being lazy.
I have ~6 meads, 1 Barleywine Braggot, and 1 Apfelwein going as well.

I also have enough honey for about 6-7 more meads, I just need some open fermenters.

On deck for our April brewday (my group brews together quarterly) I will be brewing a Chai Saison, Mint Chocolate Stout, and a Graff (half malt/hops, half cider).

To answer your question Jeff, they added more sugar to the primary on their last batch, once it was bottled it had a sweeter taste at first but it changed back to the way it was supposed to be after a while. Prior to that they had made several batches of beer that were just really strong to begin with, without adding extra sugar.

[quote name='Jeff_T' date='27 January 2010 - 12:46 AM' timestamp='1264578395' post='447940']

[/quote]

Yea, half of the water (rather less than half) goes into the primary. Generally you want to boil as much as you can at once for better extraction; I boil 3gal in the stock pot with 2 in the primary and then top off to water up to just above 5 gal (the bucket is labeled with gallons). The thing is with secondary, primary fermentation is already at FG, secondary is purely for clearing/dry hopping.

My OG came out to 1.048 right around the correct OG for a California Common. With 75-80% attenuation, FG is estimated for 1.010-1.008 with ABV estimated for 4.8-5.0%.

As for cleaning, I have a specific sponge that I use only for brewing that has no abrasive pad and a very mild, scentless dish detergent. I sanitize with 1-step or Star San, I like Star San cause of it's awesome foaming action and no rinse needed. I save bottles that I've been drinking, no twist-caps! I rise them out when I'm done with them then store them. Use a brush to clean it out and then sanitize each one and a bowl of sanitized water with the bottle caps sitting in it.

[quote name='jezter6' date='27 January 2010 - 06:59 AM' timestamp='1264604367' post='447975']
[quote name='Jeff_T' date='27 January 2010 - 02:46 AM' timestamp='1264578395' post='447940']

[/quote]

Let's see...

I have an Irish Red in it's second week in primary. Will probably toss it into the keg and put in the fridge to cold condition for a month or two until space is available in the keezer.
I have a Brown Porter inside a Rum Barrel getting some oak and Rum notes. Should be bottled any time now when I'm done being lazy.
I have ~6 meads, 1 Barleywine Braggot, and 1 Apfelwein going as well.

I also have enough honey for about 6-7 more meads, I just need some open fermenters.

On deck for our April brewday (my group brews together quarterly) I will be brewing a Chai Saison, Mint Chocolate Stout, and a Graff (half malt/hops, half cider).
[/quote]

Sounds awesome man, seems like some delicious stuff you've brewed up. All those brews for your April brewday sound like they'd be great. If you happen to have an extra bottle of the Saison, I'd love to try it. Sounds like a very unique combination with the chai and Belgian characteristics.

Let's see...

[b]I have ~6 meads, 1 Barleywine Braggot, and 1 Apfelwein going as well.
[/b]

On deck for our [b]April brewday (my group brews together quarterly) I will be brewing a Chai Saison, Mint Chocolate Stout, and a Graff (half malt/hops, half cider).
[/b][/quote]

Wow! You've been busy! I thought I was doing well because I finished a 5gal. spiced mead batch, lol. It ususally lasts me for a year, simply because I don't drink a whole lot in general. Then again, I don't belong to a brewing group. Your April brewday choices sound delicious. My mouth is watering! Cheers![img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif[/img]

[quote name='thatonethere' date='28 January 2010 - 06:16 AM' timestamp='1264677412' post='448112']

Wow! You've been busy! I thought I was doing well because I finished a 5gal. spiced mead batch, lol. It ususally lasts me for a year, simply because I don't drink a whole lot in general. Then again, I don't belong to a brewing group. Your April brewday choices sound delicious. My mouth is watering! Cheers![img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Well, since mead takes so long to make (but not as long to drink 25 or so bottles) you gotta have a serious pipeline. I don't drink it much, as I only have ~35 bottles stored on my shelf, and to me -- I think I could go through that in a few weeks with regular drinking, so I'm waiting until my wine shelf is full before i start drinking it hard.

You should go to Homebrewtalk and lurk around a while and keep an eye on the gatherings area for other people in your area (or agree to host one and post your own gathering) and see if other people reply. I started by just finding one guy online that wanted someone to brew, then another, then I invited both of them over, and now we're up to about 15 people that show up to our quarterly brew sessions.

And yes, they all sound MIGHTY tasty. I've had the mint choco stout before, and it was AMAZING and I can't wait to have it on tap.

I forgot to ask yesterday, but where did you get the barrel for your brown porter? Was it expensive? Do you primary in it or secondary? Can it be used multiple times and still impart flavors into the beer?

[quote name='Jeff_T' date='29 January 2010 - 02:48 AM' timestamp='1264751285' post='448327']
I forgot to ask yesterday, but where did you get the barrel for your brown porter? Was it expensive? Do you primary in it or secondary? Can it be used multiple times and still impart flavors into the beer?
[/quote]
I happened to get it in a group buy from HBT...cost me about $125 shipped. You can contact various distillers to see if they resell barrels (good if you can find one local).

Mine happened to contain a honey Rum product. I put the brew in for secondary and let it sit for a while. It's probably overdone as I've been lazy and haven't mucked with it in months. The first batch gets more of the liquor taste and it slowly leeches out batch to batch. I plan on putting other brews and meads into it over the next year or so.

Sounds awesome. After I joined i noticed that group buy and though it would have been awesome to get in on. Do you know if all the barrels were a honey rum, or all different stuff? Hope they get something together like this again, I'd love to get one.

[quote name='Jeff_T' date='29 January 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1264805908' post='448446']
Sounds awesome. After I joined i noticed that group buy and though it would have been awesome to get in on. Do you know if all the barrels were a honey rum, or all different stuff? Hope they get something together like this again, I'd love to get one.
[/quote]
I believe that most of them were actually Whisky. A friend and I managed to get the only few Rum ones available (mostly because I was going to put mead in it and didn't want a whisky flavor to it although rum made from honey seemed to fit nicely).

Call up some local small distillers...you might be able to pick one up cheap if you make friends with someone.

I actually just started out home brewing myself. I have an IPA (my first batch ever) which will be ready to drink tomorrow. I have an oatmeal stout which is currently carbonating/conditioning. We'll see if I'm any good tomorrow evening after work haha

I have never brewed myself but I have always been interested in doing it. I supplied the drywall for the owner of Boulevard Brewing Company here in Kansas City, MO. His home brewing setup he had in his house was astounding to say the least. The basement was dedicated to brewing and storing beer. Dedicated stoves, fermentation tanks and the works. He then had a plumbing system installed in his house that had lines run to the master bedroom, kitchen, and poolside bar for his own custom creations and his trademarked favorites. He started out brewing just like you guys so keep it up and it may turn profitable for you all one day. The day that I delivered the drywall, he was working on a new summer type ale that was oh so delicious. I told him the day it gets released to the public, I will buy two cases! Happy brewing!

[quote name='johnicd' date='05 February 2010 - 03:34 PM' timestamp='1265402099' post='449940']
I have never brewed myself but I have always been interested in doing it. I supplied the drywall for the owner of Boulevard Brewing Company here in Kansas City, MO. His home brewing setup he had in his house was astounding to say the least. The basement was dedicated to brewing and storing beer. Dedicated stoves, fermentation tanks and the works. He then had a plumbing system installed in his house that had lines run to the master bedroom, kitchen, and poolside bar for his own custom creations and his trademarked favorites. He started out brewing just like you guys so keep it up and it may turn profitable for you all one day. The day that I delivered the drywall, he was working on a new summer type ale that was oh so delicious. I told him the day it gets released to the public, I will buy two cases! Happy brewing!
[/quote]

Do it now. THe longer you put it off, the more you'll regret putting it off once you do get started.

I talked about it with my roommate for ~2 years but it was always this pipe dream. Then another friend got into it and brought some over to try, and we realized we could do better and got the bug in us and now we've been doing it for more than 3 years.

[quote name='jezter6' date='08 February 2010 - 07:14 AM' timestamp='1265638450' post='450358']

Do it now. THe longer you put it off, the more you'll regret putting it off once you do get started.

I talked about it with my roommate for ~2 years but it was always this pipe dream. Then another friend got into it and brought some over to try, and we realized we could do better and got the bug in us and now we've been doing it for more than 3 years.
[/quote]

I hear ya. I am renting an apartment at the current moment so I am going to hold off until I get my house next year. That way I can dedicate a room for it and not have to worry about making a mess and paying for it. :) I have always been the lager type guy so I think thats what I am going to start off with....damn now you got me looking at MORE stuff to buy! I can hear my wallet cursing me now!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='MechAnt' date='18 February 2010 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1266472564' post='452091']
I bottled on Sunday! Can't wait for the beer to completely carbonate. This weekend I'll crack one open to see how progress has come along.
[/quote]
I know you're going to do it regardless of my advice (hey, we all did it)...but under 1 week to carbonate is unlikely, and you'll just be drinking week old semi-flat beer - the same stuff you tasted when you bottled it.

Hide that beer in the back corner of a room and wait 2-3 weeks for it to really come into its own.
That's why I recommend brewing a second batch almost immediately after the first -- so that by the time this one is carbed up and ready to drink, you'll have one getting bottled.

You'll probably tear through this first batch and wonder where your homebrew pipeline is and be bummed that you can't drink homebrew again until April. :)