Anyone Into Home Brewing?

MechAnt

I've recently gotten OBSESSED with home brewing.

I'm getting a kit soon (NOT a Mr. Beer) and start with extract brewing of 5 gal or less per batch. Probably won't get any bigger than that. Anyone else an avid home brewer? I have some questions I want to ask and where better than a community like HF!
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='MechAnt' date='25 December 2009 - 04:32 AM' timestamp='1261733579' post='441643']

I'm getting a kit soon (NOT a Mr. Beer) and start with extract brewing of 5 gal or less per batch. Probably won't get any bigger than that. Anyone else an avid home brewer? I have some questions I want to ask and where better than a community like HF!
[/quote]

Definitely not an avid brewer, but I've done 3-4 different beers with 2 friends before and it is definitely a fun, rewarding process when your beer turns out awesome!

What are you brewing? I may be able to help a bit...

[quote name='MechAnt' date='25 December 2009 - 02:32 AM' timestamp='1261733579' post='441643']

[/quote]

I like homebrewing too! I just made 5 gallons of spiced mead. I can't wait to taste it.

I like homebrewing beer too. Amber beer is my favorite!

I made a couple dozen batches when we lived in VA, but when we moved back to Maine, I left all of my equipment there with friends..... My favorite was a pumpkin ale that I did around the end of October in 2007.

So my gf got me a Mr. Beer for christmas (not the best kit i know). But it will be a good starter and its the thought that counts. Im pretty excited to try it out untill i can get a 5gallon setup from my local shop.

^^^^Hey we all have to get started somewhere!

Mr. Beer isn't all that bad, you just have to manipulate it a bit. It's actually a good size which is what I like about it. Homebrewtalk.com has a great topic about making a Mr. Beer decent.

I really want to start homebrewing, and I'm sure I will sometime soon. Just need to get some equipment and space. I'm excited to learn a lot more about beer and do some experimentation.

My yeast is pitched on my Honey Pale Ale.
[size=2][img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif[/img][/size]
[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/thewave.gif[/img]

[size=2]
[/size]

Looks like a very fitting label for your beer. Hope it turns out well. How long are you bottling before cracking some open?

Yessir! My nut brown is almost fully bottle conditioned, I tried some last night and it needs a bit more carbonation. I also brewed a batch of Cream ale, and just added a batch of honey wheat to secondary. I had to buy more bottles, as I gifted all of my Spiced Ale in the 24 oz. to people for Christmas! That was a damn good ale, the mulling spices are what really made it shine.

Before you brew your first, i would MOST DEFINITELY invest in a wort chiller. It will save you so much time and maybe even save your wort!

[quote name='thatonethere' date='26 December 2009 - 01:13 AM' timestamp='1261811597' post='441786']
[quote name='MechAnt' date='25 December 2009 - 02:32 AM' timestamp='1261733579' post='441643']

[/quote]

I like homebrewing too! I just made 5 gallons of spiced mead. I can't wait to taste it.

[/quote]

Mmmmmm fermented bee-puke, and moldy fruit.
I have never had good luck with honey in anything but shisha.
Best of luck. every time I tried to brew mead, the end result needed a toxic waste warning.

killed dandelions pretty good though.

I've been brewing since late '80's.
Mostly all grain now, occasionally an extract brew,or partial mash, but those are pretty rare these days.
I'm a bit of a hop-head, like most bitter Russian Imperial Stouts, or an IPA as a starting point. In the end I like to hit an IBU around 125. Don't have to share then!

Head over to Beertools.com for some decent recipes, and and a few hints to save you from some of the common mistakes. (like that 15% ABV brew that every beginner tries. geeeeeccccckkkk!!!!!! )

[quote name='TheScotsman' date='05 January 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1262733412' post='443399']
[quote name='thatonethere' date='26 December 2009 - 01:13 AM' timestamp='1261811597' post='441786']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mmmmmm fermented bee-puke, and moldy fruit.
I have never had good luck with honey in anything but shisha.
Best of luck. every time I tried to brew mead, the end result needed a toxic waste warning.

killed dandelions pretty good though.

I've been brewing since late '80's.
Mostly all grain now, occasionally an extract brew,or partial mash, but those are pretty rare these days.
I'm a bit of a hop-head, like most bitter Russian Imperial Stouts, or an IPA as a starting point. In the end I like to hit an IBU around 125. Don't have to share then!

Head over to Beertools.com for some decent recipes, and and a few hints to save you from some of the common mistakes. (like that 15% ABV brew that every beginner tries. geeeeeccccckkkk!!!!!! )
[/quote]

LMAO at bee puke and moldy fruit. That experience you had with making mead was very unfortunate. It sounds like your fermentation cycle may have had some issues. It's possible that it stopped prematurely. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun. Waiting for it to fermit is the hardest part because mead takes a lot longer to finish fermenting. However, the longer you wait, the better the mead is. I have some left over from 2008 that has gotten very, very smooth. I'll save some from this batch and try it again in a few years so I could see how well it ages.

I think I'll have some tonight. Mmmmm, nom, nom[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/nyam2.gif[/img] .

Hello, I am new here and my eyes light up when I saw this thread!

I am a wine maker and have been known to do some distilling from time to time. I have made a few beers and enjoy it very much.

Don't knock Mr. Beer, it is very cheap and can produce a good beer (if not a good distillate base) for under $15. Hell, the two gallon fermentation tank is worth that price to a guy just starting out with limited space to work with.

BYO magazine and Home Wine Maker are both excellent and highly recommended publications that anyone into the craft should check out. (not a paid endorcement :lol_hitting:)

Glad to see others that are into homebrewing.

Cotsi, that label looks awesome!

My first is going to be a pale ale of sorts because I loveee them soo much. My first couple batches are definitely going to be extract brews and then I'm gonna get into a partial mash later on. I can't wait to snap some pics for you guys in the coming weeks.

• 2 weeks later...