So You Want To Smoke Starbuzz, Eh?

We sell more NK than anything at my lounge. We carry SB (all the flavors listed above except safari melon dew) and generally recommend it to first time smokers. It does have the biggest sweetspot and requires the least amount of upkeep. I just find it generally too sweet. I will give it this, though. IMO, out of all the bro brands, SB is the best.

What exactly makes you think SB is a "bro" brand? If anything, you should be calling your beloved Nak and Tangiers "bro brands" due to the simple nature of what you're referring to -- the "bros" will see everyone raving over nak and tang and immediately flock to it and rave about how awsome it is....the herd mentality. I have nothing against nak, tangiers, af, or any other brand, other than og nak because I just don't like the way it tastes. The problem with a lot of hookah smokers is that because they don't like the tartness, sweetness, lack of flavor, overpowering flavor, ect ect ect that a certain brand offers then they automatically label it as a bad brand...which I see a lot of it happening with Starbuzz.

Im guilty of bad mouthing Starbuzz, after being an avid Starbuzz smoker. After trying other brands of shisha, i strayed away and started to ridicule the brand.

It wasnt till i felt the betrayal of my wife, smoking from her cousin's hookah packed with Sex on the beach, in a standard Mya bowl, instead of smoking my Nakhla mizo mix. Taste, ultimately; it comes down to taste and preference. Like food, alchohol, women & cars - we all have different tastes. Shisha is no different.

Starbuzz helped popularize hookah in the states. The 900 different flavors have attracted a young population into this lifestyle. So, they are definitely doing something right.

Not trying to be a doucher but how do you know starbuzz is meant to be smoked out of an egyptian bowl? Why can't you smoke it out of a phunnel it shouldn't make a difference. From what I remember when I smoked starbuzz I had a better time out of a phunnel.

Anyways nice writeup

[quote name='FamiliarJoe' date='28 December 2009 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1262025425' post='442120']
....someone left a HUGE tin of code 69 at my house...it's been three days and no word from them,[b]so im smoking it! :D[/b]

Packing it as we speak in one of my egyptians. I am gonna try reducing the heat and see if I get a good session :). Thanks FSU...
[/quote]

do you by chance get a sensation of gummy bears when you smoke it (or worms, depends on your preference)

As a newbie, I love write-ups like this one since it narrows down the overwhelming number of choices for shisha and flavors. Now I know that if I want to try a flavor, I can pick this or that brand that someone tried and liked. So thank you for the write-up!!!:perfect10:

[quote name='Tyler' date='20 April 2010 - 09:08 AM' timestamp='1271776099' post='464398']
What exactly makes you think SB is a "bro" brand? If anything, you should be calling your beloved Nak and Tangiers "bro brands" due to the simple nature of what you're referring to -- the "bros" will see everyone raving over nak and tang and immediately flock to it and rave about how awsome it is....the herd mentality. I have nothing against nak, tangiers, af, or any other brand, other than og nak because I just don't like the way it tastes. The problem with a lot of hookah smokers is that because they don't like the tartness, sweetness, lack of flavor, overpowering flavor, ect ect ect that a certain brand offers then they automatically label it as a bad brand...which I see a lot of it happening with Starbuzz.
[/quote]

I call it a bro brand because most of the SB I sell I sell to bros.

I don't think they really care what it tastes like as long as it's sweet. It's super easy to smoke. They don't have to actually learn anything about hookahs to make it work. I also think they love the names and mixes. I remember when Code 69 came out the bros were all about it simply because of the name. Same with all their alcoholic beverage mixes. I think for them it's all about image - maximum coolness for minimum effort.

When I took over the lounge, they served nearly all SB. Now, we've expanded to other brands. SB is now our least popular brand. I'm proud of the fact that I was able to expand the scope of some peoples' tastes. Don't get me wrong. I dig some of SB's flaves. I just don't like the fact that some people choose what they smoke based solely on image.

[quote name='BBKakes' date='21 April 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1271868655' post='464622']
Fsu umad
[/quote]

I have no idea who you are but I've been told by many people, on multiple forums, that you're talking shit about me. I don't know why nor do I really care but if you're really that butthurt over something I've said then be a man and send me a PM instead of talking about me behind my back. You may not know this but I have many friends in the hookah world both in industry and on the forum[s] you are a part of -- maybe you should be more careful about what you're saying about people.

To attempt to keep this from totally derailing...

Why do you guys like Starbuzz? I personally hate it. For the price, I'd rather get Tangiers, or Al Fakher, which both taste great and have a awesome buzz.

Starbuzz has NO buzz and the smoke (in my experience) is pretty terrible. I realize that could be me but I'm pretty knowledgeable about hookah already so i dont think that is it.

Is there something I'm missing?

[quote name='GoofyTooth' date='22 April 2010 - 05:53 AM' timestamp='1271930000' post='464852']

Why do you guys like Starbuzz? I personally hate it. For the price, I'd rather get Tangiers, or Al Fakher, which both taste great and have a awesome buzz.

Starbuzz has NO buzz and the smoke (in my experience) is pretty terrible. I realize that could be me but I'm pretty knowledgeable about hookah already so i dont think that is it.

[/quote]

I personally love it for the flavors they do that no one else comes close to. Ever tried SB Pineapple? No one has a pineapple even remotely as good. No one. Ever had Pomberry? Again, same situation -- unique flavor that no one can touch. I love that SB doesn't have a buzz because I personally smoke when studying/writing/ect...and having a buzz seriously hinders this ability lol. The clouds though are usually pretty epic so I don't know what to tell you about your situation? The price does suck but since I smoke for flavor moreso than anything else, I'll shell out the cash for a handfull of flavors SB does. Most the flavors I wouldn't look at twice though.

[quote name='GoofyTooth' date='21 April 2010 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1271930000' post='464852']

[/quote]
I think SB caters to the smokers that like their smoke on the sweeter side or those that prefer the modern flavors. People have different preferences and have different interpretations of what is "good hookah tobacco".

Additionally, there are people whom buzz means absolutely shit. I know of quite a few people, who could care less if a tobacco is washed or unwashed, because they're not going to get a buzz anyways.

Also, SB puts out a good amount of smoke so, it may be your technique if you're not getting some big clouds.

[quote name='shaffaaf27' date='20 April 2010 - 02:24 PM' timestamp='1271795040' post='464435']
ih303 god i wish i could come to your louge! you serve tangiers?
[/quote]

Yes. Mostly lucid, but we do have the Kashmirs in Noir.

[quote name='Tyler' date='22 April 2010 - 04:37 AM' timestamp='1271932679' post='464855']
I personally love it for the flavors they do that no one else comes close to. Ever tried SB Pineapple? No one has a pineapple even remotely as good. No one. Ever had Pomberry? Again, same situation -- unique flavor that no one can touch. I love that SB doesn't have a buzz because I personally smoke when studying/writing/ect...and having a buzz seriously hinders this ability lol. The clouds though are usually pretty epic so I don't know what to tell you about your situation? The price does suck but since I smoke for flavor moreso than anything else, I'll shell out the cash for a handfull of flavors SB does. Most the flavors I wouldn't look at twice though.
[/quote]

He speaks the truth. SB Pineapple is friggin fantastic. I'm also really diggin' Flower Power and Fuzzy Lemonade atm.

[quote name='Arcane' date='22 April 2010 - 04:43 AM' timestamp='1271932985' post='464856']
I think SB caters to the smokers that like their smoke on the sweeter side or those that prefer the modern flavors. People have different preferences and have different interpretations of what is "good hookah tobacco".

Additionally, there are people whom buzz means absolutely shit. I know of quite a few people, who could care less if a tobacco is washed or unwashed, because they're not going to get a buzz anyways.

Also, SB puts out a good amount of smoke so, it may be your technique if you're not getting some big clouds.
[/quote]

+1

I find SB to be a good "starter" tobacco - meaning, if someone's never smoked before and is in my lounge for their first smoke, I'll recommend SB. It's gauranteed to smoke right and go down smooth. Of course, I'm not implying that only nubs smoke SB. I'm just saying SB has all the attributes that lend themselves to creating a good first experience with hookah.

• 1 month later...
This is an excellent thread. I've smoked a bunch of starbuzz flavors, and for a while I was having difficulty with heat management. Unfourtantly for me this thread wasn't around and I had to do a lot of experimentation's[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dash2.gif[/img]. During messing around with it all I've noticed Ive had much more enjoyable sessions using a Egyptian bowl and 2 coco naras on the sides with a wind cover on and off :P. this is an excellent thread for any one new hookah, and wanting to try SB. SB watermelon, is personally by far my favorite watermelon that I have ever smoked, Sb's white peach is also godly (both well worth the extra $$). A lot of people say SB is simple to pack and smoke, but to any new smokers I'd strong suggest following this guide : ) well done :P

• 5 months later...
[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]Dearest apologies out of bumping such an old thread but a couple of questions just because Im in a SB losing streak when it comes to enjoying my last couple of SB safari melon sessions (bowl lasts for 30 minutes and is burnt). How high should I be packing the shisha in my egyptian bowl and would using a toothpick be a good tool for poking those "50 holes"? Also I have more of a HD foil, would two layers of thin foil be better? [/size][/font]