So You Want To Smoke Starbuzz, Eh?

my only beef with SB is the price I just can not justify it to myself when I buy shisha so being the cheapskate that I am I have never tried it.

but hey if anyone wants to bring some over Im willing to give it a shot lol.

Actually, In my experience SB can last as long as any other shisha, the thing is it requires a lower heat than say AF, Nakhla, or Al Amir. The reason some people don't think it lasts as long is that if you put the same amount of coal on it as you put on AF, it's overheat and burn.

Soemthign I don't think a lot of people understand is that different shishas take different levels of heat. What works for one tobacco may not be enough for another and too much for a 3rd. The result, crappy sessions usually ending up with the person blaming the tobacco rather than their inability to manage that particulat type of shisha.

i cant agree with this method 100%. although starbuzz is one of the easiest tobaccos to get smoking well and in my opinion justifies the higher price. i have had good 4-6 hour sessions of starbuzz with full flavor in a small phunnel. i do pack starbuzz a little tighter than usual in a phunnel, and use two to three ch coals. i think it can take a little extra heat as well. its such an easy tobacco to smake that its very hrd to get a bad starbuzz session. i have also found the best method to pack it in an egytian or mya type bowl is to pat it dry a little bit with a paper towel.

Like this thread .
agree on the flavors . If i want a buzz when smoking Sb i mix with AF .
I use a mod bowl and cocas and QS. In my experience cocas do get to hot and with AF QL or three kings ive gotten a bowl of sour apple to go for an hour and a half .

[quote name='click' date='22 December 2009 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1261530111' post='441088']
Nice comprehensive list fsu. Just wondering when I had Lemon Tea, it tasted like Pine Sol for me lol. Is that what you got from it?
[/quote]

Same here. Tastes like they used the lemon rind flavoring rather than a sweet lemon.

Nice work FSU!

Thanks guys, again I wanted to stress the general aspect of this guide; personally I usually have an egyptian of SB last me 5-6 hours if I pay attention to it. I would like to do another entire brand review but I still have quite a few flavors to go on Tangiers, Fusion, Fantasia, and Layalina. I would do a complete Mizo review but I've only had Watermelon, Lemon, Orange, Grape, and 1 bowl of Mint. To address a few people's comments:

I've used a mod-bowl in a few hookah bars with SB and there were some things I liked and some things I hated. I liked the start of the bowl a lot, but I hated that the shape of the "hood" or top or whatever that thng is, forced the coals towards the center and limited you to one coal at a time or stacked coals.

Twinturbo: I wouldn't say pat it dry, the juice is where the amazing SB clouds come from, I just let it sit on the paper towel for 4-5 min while I set up my hookah and wash it out and such.

A lot of people: As I said, you can use a phunnel easily, and it would work great but I found an egyptian to work [i]better [/i]but you might not notice the difference unless you smoke SB often.

LZ22: You "can" use the same method for any brand, this board helps people see how other people treat their favorite brands to give us ideas. You may try someone's method that works for them and absolutely hate it, you may love it, you may know something better! Thats why we share information!

[quote name='mushrat' date='23 December 2009 - 05:29 AM' timestamp='1261574955' post='441251']What works for one tobacco may not be enough for another and too much for a 3rd. The result, crappy sessions usually ending up with the person blaming the tobacco rather than their inability to manage that particulat type of shisha.
[/quote]

You are right, a lot of people don't do it right, but I am not one of those people.

No matter how I pack, smoke, how many coals I put, how many coals I don't put, the results are usually the same. When Starbuzz is packed, it's life time is shorter than other tobacco, which is why I enjoy mixing it with other brands.

Whats your favorite flavor Mush? Any particular combination?

Not normally a SB fan, but I can vouch that I secretly enjoy the Code 69 once in awhile. Never tried it in an egyptian though..it has been working well out of my glass phunnel with 1 less coal though.

1) when i do smoke starbuzz, my sessions last longer than when i smoke AF (a little justification on price). they also use honey which could cause a heightened price

2) i have not smoked starbuzz out of an egyptian clay bowl (maybe i will try with the italian bowl i got from john) however i got better results when i used my vortex than when i used my small phunnel.

Great guide FSU....What stuck out for me was the room temp or warm water in the base... will definitely try that next SB session.

my favorite flavour is white peach. Do you guys really use different bowls etc depending on the tobacco? I can use the same set up for any tobacco with the exception of the amount of heat and get the same qualitysmoke.May have something to do with the number of bowls i have packed in the last 3 years. :)

[quote name='mushrat' date='26 December 2009 - 04:09 PM' timestamp='1261868975' post='441902']
my favorite flavour is white peach. Do you guys really use different bowls etc depending on the tobacco? I can use the same set up for any tobacco with the exception of the amount of heat and get the same qualitysmoke.May have something to do with the number of bowls i have packed in the last 3 years. :)
[/quote]

why yes i can. the only thing that changes is heat manegment, foil patern, and packing method. my small egyption always smoke the same though.

1 bowl to rule them all!

....someone left a HUGE tin of code 69 at my house...it's been three days and no word from them,[b]so im smoking it! :D[/b]

Packing it as we speak in one of my egyptians. I am gonna try reducing the heat and see if I get a good session :). Thanks FSU...

• 3 weeks later...
I think the biggest problem with SB and people saying their first bowl was awsome and subsequent bowls being less and less awsome is that they do not think they have to stir it.

FSUReligionMan,

Thank you for this guide, I've been trying to burn through a KG of Blue Mist for the past 6 months and it's quite a challenge. I've always had remarkable sessions with SB and now I know why:

I ALWAYS lightly dab the tobacco against a paper towel to remove the excess juices.
I ALWAYS lightly fluff my tobacco and
I ALWAYS use an Egyptian Bowl
I ALWAYS use two 3/4" coals on opposite extreme edges of the Egyptian Bowl

This is just how I've always prepared and smoked my Sheesha, now I'm wondering if that's the reason why I was always dumbfounded by all the AF and Tangiers love on this forum. It's most likely the way I was packing it. Tangiers burns my heart and AF just doesn't taste good. Romman and Starbuzz have always treated me well, and I'm pretty sure it's because of my method.

So I followed some of the tricks here: stirred the shisha before packing it, used 2 QLs one on each side half of each outside the head... managed heat to get proper smoke without burning shisha taste, but still... I find the taste is lacking. I can barely taste it.. I know how it's supposed to taste since I've gotten a few perfect sessions months ago but haven't been able to have a good session for a while..

What kind of egyptian bowl do you use? Would a deep bowl help? Mine is about half-3/4 an inch deep I'd say.. I'll try another bowl and see if theres any difference but I really doubt so because this is my best bowl.. always gives me good AF sessions..

Any input?

Nice thread, FSU. :)

Is this where you all have been hiding? It smells like Blue Mist Sex in here. :lol:

I think Starbuzz leans towards ethanol based flavors, so stirring before each use is important...owing to the density of ethanol. Very light. Citrus and mint flavors especially. I certainly wouldn't recommend draining or blotting the juice/coloring off. Even if it doesn't need it, its not a bad practice to get into.

I will leave you guys to your secret cave and return to the bright, basking glow of Tangiers daylight. :P

Love always,
The other guys.

• 1 month later...
Since this thread has been referenced lately let me add that this was written before the release of SS tobacco, who has a lot of the same/similar flavors, which changes my outlook on best and best* flavors. Currently I would reduce the list to:

Pineapple
Pomberry
Fuzzy Lemonade
Flower Power
Tangerine Dream
Pink
Safari Melon

These are without a doubt the best flavors of their type by any brand.

[quote name='Tyler' date='11 March 2010 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1268361950' post='456662']
Since this thread has been referenced lately let me add that this was written before the release of SS tobacco, who has a lot of the same/similar flavors, which changes my outlook on best and best* flavors. Currently I would reduce the list to:

[b]Pineapple========AND[/b]
Pomberry
Fuzzy Lemonade
Flower Power
[b]Tangerine Dream=====This mixed[/b]
Pink
Safari Melon

These are without a doubt the best flavors of their type by any brand.
[/quote]

Tyler physically forced me to smoke this........im glad he did.