So You Want To Smoke Starbuzz, Eh?

So, you're probably in one of the following situations: you're in a hookah bar and about to order some Starbuzz (SB), you've finally broken down and paid the "premium price" for a "premium tobacco," or you actually happen to like SB. Either way, there are a few things that one must know to get the amazing SB session that so many people rave about in order to justify the ~$18-$22 cost per 250g.

[list][*]Starbuzz is made for an egyptian bowl. Yes, it can be annoying when juicy tobaccos leak juice into the holes and down the stem; however, this can be avoided by light dabbing the tobacco with a paper towl before packing it. Note: do not try to wipe off the juice, that will ruin the amount of smoke and flavor that SB can achieve. When you pack SB into an egyptian, do not press down on it at all, you should do what many people call "fluff packing" so that the air flow is simple without having to over-pull. Make sure when you're poking holes through the foil that you poke all the way down and THEN turn the bowl over and push the poker through the holes from the bottom up, this ensures you will have easy air flow.[/list]

[list][*]Before you pack your bowl, make sure you stir the tobacco thoroughly! If your SB has been sitting for more than a few hours, the juices will have seperated and once you make a bowl out of a seperated batch, there is no chance to get the proper distribution of juices back.[/list]

[list][*]Starbuzz is, ironically, not a tobacco to smoke if you're looking for a buzz. If you like the "hookah buzz" that many brands offer, I recommend mixing similar flavors of your favorite buzz brand. I have found that SB mixes best with Fusion, Romman, Al Fakher, and Mizo Nakhla. Brands I found it to not mix well with are Tangiers, Fumari, and OG Nak. Fumari and OG Nak probably will work if you find the right proportions, I was not able to.[/list]

[list][*]It is possible to smoke SB out of a vortex or phunnel type bowl but know this will not yield the best results. Phunnel bowls are second to an egyptian in bowl choice but often lead to a slight loss of flavor, again, pack SB in a fluff method. Avoid using a vortex for SB in all cases.[/list]

[list][*]When deciding on coals, I cannot stress this enough, that SB is a [b][u]LOW HEAT TOBACCO [/u][/b]using too much heat, while yielding bigger clouds,will burn the tobacco and give you diminishing returns as the session goes on. Personally, I use 2 CH QL coals on opposite sides of my bowl and rotate around. Do not ever put a coal in the center of the bowl. Ever. When setting up the foil, you should have roughly 50 holes on the bowl for an average sized egyptian.[/list]

[list][*]There are many flavors that SB makes; however, you can find a lot of them done better in other brands. It is not worth paying the premium dollar for a flavor that can be bought for much cheaper, and taste/perform better. Just because you like a brand does not mean it has the best everything. Below I will go through the flavor list and point out better or "just as good as" flavors from other brands. Conversely, there are some flavors that you will not find made better by any other brand.[/list][b]Apple Cinnamon[/b] Best
[b]Apple[/b] Good Single Apple. No Anise.
[b]Apricot[/b] Fumari, Potion, Al Fakher
[b]Arabian Coffee [/b]Best
[b]Banana[/b] Best
[b]Black Grape [/b]Fusion
[b]Blackberry[/b] Best
[b]Blue Mist[/b] Best
[b]Blueberry[/b] Layalina
[b]Bubble Gum[/b] Fusion
[b]Candy[/b] Layaina, Romman, Fusion, almost anything else
[b]Cantaloupe[/b] Bad flavor.
[b]Cappuccino[/b] Al Fakher
[b]Caramel Apple[/b] Best
[b]Caramel Macchiato [/b]Best
[b]Cherry[/b] Tangiers, Fusion
[b]Christmas Mix [/b]Best
[b]Citrus Mint[/b] Best
[b]Classic Cola [/b]Horrible. Any other brand is better.
[b]Classic Mojito[/b] Bad flavor.
[b]Coconut[/b] Bad flavor.
[b]Cosmopolitan[/b] Best
[b]Cotton[/b] [b]Candy[/b] Best
[b]Fruit Sensation[/b] Any other mixed fruit is better
[b]Fuzzy Naval[/b] Decent flavor.
[b]Grape[/b] Mizo Nak, Fusion Champagne grape, Tangier's grapes
[b]Guava[/b] Tangiers
[b]Irish Cream[/b] Best, might tie with Layalina
[b]Jasmine[/b] Bad flavor, layalina
[b]Kiwi[/b] Decent
[b]Kiwi Strawberry [/b]Decent
[b]Lemon[/b] Nahkla
[b]Lemon Tea [/b]Best
[b]Mango[/b] Layalina
[b]Margarita [/b]Fumari
[b]Marlett[/b] Best
[b]Orange[/b] Mizo, Tangiers, Fusion
[b]Passion Fruit Mojito [/b]Best
[b]Passion Kiss[/b] Best
[b]Peaches and Cream[/b]Weak flavor
[b]Pineapple[/b] Best*
[b]Plum[/b] Al Fakher
[b]Pomegranate [/b]Tangiers, Fusion
[b]Pumpkin Pie[/b] Best*
[b]Raspberry[/b] Layalina
[b]Rose[/b] Layalina
[b]Royal Grape[/b]Best*
[b]Sour Apple [/b]Best
[b]Spearmint[/b] Any brand
[b]Strawberry Margarita [/b]Best
[b]Strawberry[/b] Any brand
[b]Sweet Apple [/b]Any brand
[b]Sweet Melon[/b] Any brand
[b]Tropical Fruit [/b]Any brand
[b]Watermelon[/b] Best*
[b]White Grape[/b] Tangiers
[b]White Peach[/b] Best
[b]Wild Berry Mint [/b]Fusion
[b]Wild Berry[/b] Best
[b]Wild Mint[/b] Best*
[b]Winter Fresh [/b]Any brand
[b]X on the Beach [/b]Any brand
[b]Safari Melon Dew [/b]Best*
[b]Pink [/b]Best*
[b]Tangerine Dream[/b]Best*

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]* - A must try flavor for SB, these are the best of the best. The only competition for Tangerine Dream is Fusion's Mandarin which I like better but others might prefer SB Tangerine Dream.

[list][*]For the average egyptian bowl, depending on the coals and amount of hits you take, each set of coals should last you roughly 45 min. If you properly rotate the coals around the edge of the bowl your average bowl of SB should last you slightly over 2 hours. As you become more familiar with SB you can make a bowl last up to 4 hours with better packing methods, better quality coals, and proper heat managment. Starbuzz smokes best with room temp or warm water in the base, as it is already a smooth smoke, ice and cold water are not needed to reduce harshness, the warmer the water is, the more intense the flavor will be.[/list]

[list][*]Last but not least, if you have issues, ASK SOMEONE FOR HELP.

[u][b][i]DISCLAIMER: [/i][/b]I know that the flavor comparisions I posted, not everyone will agree with. I simply wanted to offer an opinion from someome who has smoked every Starbuzz flavor made as well as many of the same flavors in other brands. There is likely to be better similar flavors in other brands than I have listed. [/u][/list][/size][/font]
  • Upvote 5

Thanks guys. I think I covered everything but might have missed something. If you can think of any points let me know and I'll pester Jay to add something for me :) I know not everyone is going to agree, and that's okay, I just want people to smoke SB the best way (I've discovered) so they can enjoy it as much as I do. A lot of people put too much heat on it or pack it incorrectly which tarnishes the flavor and their image of the brand.

Yeah it was a bit like pine sol, and a bit like drinking sweet tea with waaaaay too much lemon in it. Most of the flavors I listed as best are simply so because no other brands make a similar flavor (that im aware of) so...yeah

Nice work..I enjoyed reading about it as I just received a few SB flavours through the post not too long ago.

Citrus Mist
Blue Mist
White Peach

Which were all 'Best's on your list which makes me a tad happier :P

I've only tasted citrus mist and yeah your right about the low heat management. I used 3 cocos and it only lasted for about 40minutes which is pretty shitty!

I have also noticed I dont get thick clouds with SB..well in comparison to tang, its not much!

RJ

I've never used cocos but I hear they burn really hot. Try cutting it down to 2 wholes or 3 halves.

[quote name='FSUReligionMan' date='23 December 2009 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1261530675' post='441093']
I've never used cocos but I hear they burn really hot. Try cutting it down to 2 wholes or 3 halves.
[/quote]

Cool..Il try that out sometime! I got some quicklite coals..maybe could use them with a egyptian bowl to see how the SB does.

The white peach smells amazing!!

White peach is one of my favs from SB, my #2 SB mix is about 3 parts white peach 1 part pink 1 part tangerine dream

[quote name='FSUReligionMan' date='23 December 2009 - 01:16 AM' timestamp='1261530971' post='441098']
White peach is one of my favs from SB, my #2 SB mix is about 3 parts white peach 1 part pink 1 part tangerine dream
[/quote]

sounds like a hardcore yummy mix!

[quote name='mushrat' date='22 December 2009 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1261530635' post='441092']
gentle reminder....random SB bashing in this or any thread will be delt with most unpleasantly. If you have some thing reasonable to say, by all means do so, but the random "sb sucks" posts will end badly.
[/quote]

I hope that this wasn't directed at my statement in which I never said SB sucks [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]

Also, any reason why anyone can't get away with that?

I can understand the unnecessary comments that would have been made prior to you posting this, but every one is entitled to their opinion!

they are...but i'd prefer not to have to deal with people who don't give reasons for their opinions. This has been a sticking point of late and the knee jerk SB bashing is one reason we lost a good member.

As for sb, i sell it in my bar and think that there are some decent flavours and some crappy flavours, as with any brand. White peach is damn tasty. Tangerine dream mixed with sb vanilla is just like a dreamsicle popsicle. The blue mist is probably the best seller in the bar though I prefer the citrus mist myself. The blueberry tastes like a blue snow cone, not quite my cup of tea. The Cinnamon apple tastes and smells like a cheap holiday candle. The Pink (cotton candy and pineapple I believe) is one of the nastiest things I've smoked in a long time. I think their original core flavours are still the best. When they started getting into the weird mixes I think the quality of the flavour drops off.

As for the cost, ya it's more. Honey is more expensive than Molasses for one and hey, this IS a free market economy, sort of. If people weren't willing to pay the price, they wouldn't still be in business. That being said I personally think its a bit over priced and would be happy to switch to the first competator that comes up with a quality replacement. Tonic was a good possible replacement, but every time i tried to order it I was asked to call back later they were busy....ah well.

My .02

There is no doubt that they have some flavors that can not be matched on the market.

In my opinion as a regular smoker, I don't believe in paying a lot more for something that lasts a lot less in my bowl in comparison with other cheaper tobacco, that I believe taste and smoke better. Get my flow?

I can afford it, it is not a matter of being or not being able to pay for the tobacco itself, it's just that why pay more for something that, in my opinion, is inferior in multiple ways when compared to other similar products?

FSUR, I don't mean to thread jack, just had to throw in my .02 cents as well.

eh I still get better results with SB in my phunnel than an egyptian. never used anything bigger than a small phunnel though. When I pack it in the phunnel i pack it in a little rather than just a gentle fluff. Ive smoked just about every SB flavor too, but I only buy like 8 or so regularly.
white peach
white grape
tang dream
sweet melon
irish cream (when it used to be available)
safari melon dew
and a few others

lol wow... I honestly never thought that SB needed a guide to smoke it. Its seriously one of the easiest tobaccos to get to smoke well... I can grab a glob, throw it in the bowl, tin, throw three coals on and its good to go.

People have some hatred for Starbuzz that I honestly dont understand... the shisha is 'too expensive'? Helllooooo... hookah is an expensive hobby! I dont care if I have to pay a little extra for shisha (starbuzz only costs me 15.75 btw) its worth it if it tastes delicious and gets huge clouds (which I happen to enjoy a select few starbuzz falvors)

Does Starbuzz NEED a guide? No. But it helps those who've tried it and didn't get what they expected for the price.

[quote name='hookah hippie' date='22 December 2009 - 10:44 PM' timestamp='1261547064' post='441170']
just throwing it out there that i have find really good results when using a mod with starbuzz keep in mind a have not smoked sb in a long long time

but nice kind of super review you did there fsu
[/quote]

+1 when i smoke sb i use a mod bowl too

Wow. This post is amazing. Thank you for the effort you have put forth! I've been smoking for about a year and a half, and I still consider myself a total noob because I learn new things every single day with posts like these. The thing I have trouble with most is that each brand needs a particular kind of packing and accessories...it gets difficult to keep up! And your flavor guide -- even though its your opinion -- is still very informative and provides an idea of what each flavor compares to. Are there threads that are as informative as this for other brands?

Even though Im not a big fan of starbuzz and think its not worth the price others still enjoy it so.
Either way good guide must have taken you quite a while.

One thing that I cant not argue about is the fact that I don't see AF near White Grape, its one of their most renowned flavors, some say it tastes like "ketchup" which sounds ridiculous to me.