K1024

93 members have voted

1. 1. adicted

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. willing to participate in such a test

• yes
    • no

I'm pretty sure I am addicted - maybe not srsly addicted - but addicted none the less. I can go about 2 or 3 months sometimes even more without smoking Hookah. But around the 2 or 3 month mark I totally get cravings to smoke again... Actually right now I haven't smoked hookah in 4 months and I am going CRAZY lol (I left my Hookah back home....big mistake and there are srsly no hookah bars where I am at right now and most ppl dont even know what hookah is!) I even considered making my own Hookah .... But I figured that was pushing it a bit lol so ima thuf it out till the end of the March when I can get back home to my wonderful KM.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who smokes Nak or Tangiers for the buzz is addicted. You can get AF for almost as cheap as Nak and for less than Tangiers and it's got way less nicotine in it, yet people choose those over the washed tobaccos. Even more so than that they have herbal smokes that have no nicotine and people still choose the ones with nicotine over the ones without. I'm reading this thread and a lot of people who smoke 2 bowls or more a day are claiming they aren't addicted to nicotine. And with nicotine being the most addicting substance on the face of the planet (thats right even more so than NHT) them not being addicted is highly unlikely.

My major is in drug and alcohol studies and every class i've ever taken has reinforced the fact that nicotine is the worlds most addictive substance. We all know smoking causes cancer yet we do it anyway. Thats addiction in the purest sense, doing something that is bad for you because it (insert your reason for smoking hookah here).

Even if you can go months or even years without it doesn't mean you aren't addicted. I'm a recovering drug addict and I've been sober for a long time and it doesn't change the fact that i'm an addict. Going without something only means that you aren't in [u]active addiction[/u].

Too me it sounds like a lot of people are just in denial about what they do, and think that being addicted to something has all of these negative connotations on it. If you enjoy doing what your doing and you weigh the bad with the good and come to the conclusion that there is more good than bad, then keep doing it. Thats why for today I'll keep smoking hookah, until it occurs to me that It's not worth the high probability of cancer I'll keep doing it.

I smoke at least once a day if not twice and i know im addicted haha. I'm cool with that, I enjoy smoking and it means more to me to not be in denial about what I'm doing.

Not trying to judge anyone at all, and i hope no one takes offense to what im posting :). Sorry if I offended anyone.

[quote name='KeepItSimple' date='27 February 2010 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1267337447' post='454273']
Anyone who smokes Nak or Tangiers for the buzz is addicted. You can get AF for almost as cheap as Nak and for less than Tangiers and it's got way less nicotine in it, yet people choose those over the washed tobaccos. Even more so than that they have herbal smokes that have no nicotine and people still choose the ones with nicotine over the ones without. I'm reading this thread and a lot of people who smoke 2 bowls or more a day are claiming they aren't addicted to nicotine. And with nicotine being the most addicting substance on the face of the planet
[/quote]

I think people choose nakhla and tangiers over af and other washed tobaccos because thats their preference in taste. if i buy shisha its mostly nakhla, but i sometimes buy af or tangiers (im stuck to lucid because regular wont work for me) because i like the taste of those flavors.

i dont think that im addicted, at least not in the conventional nicotine sense. i dont get a craving to smoke, and i function fine without smoking. if there was a good herbal blend available good enough that i switched to it, i dont think that i would be missing out on the nicotine of the tobacco.

the way that hookah is smoked is very against how most addictive substances are used. there is way less nicotine per puff than a cigarette, and the sessions generally last a much longer time. hookahs are inconvenient and not readily available like cigarettes. compared to any other common addictive substance hookahs are a much slower way to introduce the addictive chemical to the brain.

I dont know how that ties in to addiction, as this isnt my area of expertise. but i do know that people who smoke hookah clearly think that they arent addicted, and many of them go from regularly smoking to smoking none at all-at will. I dont know anyone who regularly smokes cigarettes that can say they arent addicted, or would even be willing to participate in such a test.

[quote name='KeepItSimple' date='27 February 2010 - 10:10 PM' timestamp='1267337447' post='454273']
Anyone who smokes Nak or Tangiers for the buzz is addicted. You can get AF for almost as cheap as Nak and for less than Tangiers and it's got way less nicotine in it, yet people choose those over the washed tobaccos. Even more so than that they have herbal smokes that have no nicotine and people still choose the ones with nicotine over the ones without. I'm reading this thread and a lot of people who smoke 2 bowls or more a day are claiming they aren't addicted to nicotine. And with nicotine being the most addicting substance on the face of the planet (thats right even more so than NHT) them not being addicted is highly unlikely.

My major is in drug and alcohol studies and every class i've ever taken has reinforced the fact that nicotine is the worlds most addictive substance. We all know smoking causes cancer yet we do it anyway. Thats addiction in the purest sense, doing something that is bad for you because it (insert your reason for smoking hookah here).

Even if you can go months or even years without it doesn't mean you aren't addicted. I'm a recovering drug addict and I've been sober for a long time and it doesn't change the fact that i'm an addict. Going without something only means that you aren't in [u]active addiction[/u].

Too me it sounds like a lot of people are just in denial about what they do, and think that being addicted to something has all of these negative connotations on it. If you enjoy doing what your doing and you weigh the bad with the good and come to the conclusion that there is more good than bad, then keep doing it. Thats why for today I'll keep smoking hookah, until it occurs to me that It's not worth the high probability of cancer I'll keep doing it.

I smoke at least once a day if not twice and i know im addicted haha. I'm cool with that, I enjoy smoking and it means more to me to not be in denial about what I'm doing.

Not trying to judge anyone at all, and i hope no one takes offense to what im posting :). Sorry if I offended anyone.
[/quote]

Not offended but raising the bullshit flag. I smoke Nakhla and Tangiers almost exclusively. (Just the occasional once a month or so switch to a Fusion or Fantansia flavor.) At least one bowl a day though 2 or 3 is more common, for months at a time. Then for whatever reason I'll just stop for a week, two weeks, whatever. Without even noticing I'm not smoking. Neither positive or negative effects at all.

My cat Kabuki on the other hand is likely addicted........... He could be in a dead sound sleep two rooms away and at the first rumble of the KM he runs in to sniff the clouds. He won't leave my side until I put the hose away.

'Rani

[font="Verdana"]I think it depends on how one defines addiction. For instance, the American Academy of Pain Medicine, the American Pain Society, and the American Society of Addiction Medicine[/font][font="Verdana"] defines it as follows: "[/font][font="Verdana"]Addiction is a primary, CH, neurobiologic disease, with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. It is characterized by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.[i]"

[/i]Nils Bejerot defines it this way: "An emotional fixation (sentiment) acquired through learning, which intermittently or continually expresses itself in purposeful, stereotyped behavior with the character and force of a natural drive, aiming at a specific pleasure or the avoidance of a specific discomfort."

I have, like most of you, also gone months without hookah without craving or other negative effects. And I've reduced my smoking sessions from 2-3 times a week to once every week, without any significant problems. This, however, does not rule out me being addicted to hookah at some level. I think people associate addiction with negative personality characteristics such as weakness of mind and lack of willpower. And they tend to get the image of a needle-junkie desperately trying to get his fix. I don't see the big problem in admitting nicotine addiction whereas no one is afraid to admit being addicted to caffeine. My guess is that it's socially accepted to be addicted to caffeine, because of it's positive "working man"-connotations, whereas nicotine addiction is, as I mentioned, looked upon as more selfish and "purposeless" (like being addicted to sugar, caffeine or gaming is). But then again, these are only speculations, I have no scientific knowledge about this.
[/font] Edited by Balthazar

[quote name='Rani' date='02 March 2010 - 11:16 PM' timestamp='1267596978' post='454963']

My cat Kabuki on the other hand is likely addicted........... He could be in a dead sound sleep two rooms away and at the first rumble of the KM he runs in to sniff the clouds. He won't leave my side until I put the hose away.

'Rani
[/quote]

Thats sooo cute!!!! Ahhh I wish my cat was like that - he's a little baby and runs away at the first sound of the rumble of my KM lol.

[quote name='Balthazar' date='03 March 2010 - 01:02 AM' timestamp='1267606933' post='454990']
[font="Verdana"]I have, like most of you, also gone months without hookah without craving or other negative effects. And I've reduced my smoking sessions from 2-3 times a week to once every week, without any significant problems. This, however, does not rule out me being addicted to hookah at some level. I think people associate addiction with negative personality characteristics such as weakness of mind and lack of willpower. And they tend to get the image of a needle-junkie desperately trying to get his fix. I don't see the big problem in admitting nicotine addiction whereas no one is afraid to admit being addicted to caffeine. My guess is that it's socially accepted to be addicted to caffeine, because of it's positive "working man"-connotations, whereas nicotine addiction is, as I mentioned, looked upon as more selfish and "purposeless" (like being addicted to sugar, caffeine or gaming is). But then again, these are only speculations, I have no scientific knowledge about this.
[/font]
[/quote]

I would say that going months without craving or negative effects defines you as not being addicted, at least in my definition of addiction.

If you dont get any negative effects, and you dont have the urge to smoke, then can you consider yourself addicted? whats making you addicted?

as for the last speculation, nicotine can be used as a "work" drug in the same way as caffeine, its a stimulant that doesn't impair your ability to work. nicotine addictions are viewed very negatively because of their association with death. if people who drank caffeinated drinks started dieing at the same rates as people who smoke ciggs do, caffeine would be looked down on in the same way.

I am not addicted for certain. In fact I haven't smoked Hookah in months. The main reasons are 1 - I can't smoke hookah inside the house because it would bother my roommates. 2 - my hookah smoking buddy who smokes in his apartment moved to Korea.

Hookah is purely a social thing for me, I get together with friends to smoke it. I have a hookah smoking area setup on my back porch but it's still too cold to use it. I've only smoked hookah by myself once or twice. I actually would prefer to smoke it only once or twice a month. When I first got my Hookah last year I wound up smoking it once or twice a week because my friends were always coming over to chill out and smoke.

I think the last time we smoked was back in late October, we didn't even finish because it was just too cold to be comfortable outside.

I did have a bit of a craving while we were snowed in for a week with the double blizzard in DC. Would have been interesting to try smoking with the outside temperature 20F and the wind blowing 30mph with snow.. lol.

I admit I can't wait until it's summer and we can chill outside with a cooler of beer, hookah, and movies on my laptop.

[quote name='K1024' date='03 March 2010 - 09:16 PM' timestamp='1267647409' post='455060']
I would say that going months without craving or negative effects defines you as not being addicted, at least in my definition of addiction.

If you dont get any negative effects, and you dont have the urge to smoke, then can you consider yourself addicted? whats making you addicted?
[/quote]

So you define addiction by whether or not your affected by abstaining from any given substance? I'm not quite sure. I said "addicted to some degree", but measuring it by "degree" might render the term useless. Anyways, what's characterized the time periods when I've not been smoking is that it's when I'm on vacation. I'm not sure if that's such a good way to determine whether or not I would have any cravings if I spent those months in my home, with the hookah next to my desk, as usual.

But you might be right, calling what I have an "addiction" might be an exaggeration.

I have been smoking anywhere from 2-10 hours a day for several for the last three years, ever since I started college. My parents do not approve of smoking so in the summers when I go home I dont smoke... at all. There are several hookah bars near my house and even one or two near my place of work, yet I have yet to go. I dont know if I am addicted, but if i can go without for two and a half months every year with few/no cravings after averaging 5 hours of smoking a day, you tell me.

I smoked hookah almost every day for two years, and then just one day stopped completely for about a year. I just came out of that year of not smoking about 3 weeks ago.

There was no real reason behind it, I didn't enjoy it less and I wasn't trying to quit or anything, I just had a lot of my friends who I smoke with move out of town. Never had the "urge" to smoke it during that year. Only started again because I met a few new people who really enjoy smoking hookah too.

• 2 weeks later...
It's the same reason people are addicted to TV, or excercising, or music, or anything for that matter.

Its all about the lifestyle. I think I speak for everyone when we say we love hookah for it's taste, who it's with, how we do it, where its at, the conversations it starts, the mood it puts us in, and lastly, just simply how fun it is.

We all love the lifestyle, and that's the worst addiction you can get.

I'm addicted to hookah smoking!!!!! but not shisha. Lol.

[quote name='Jacob Shock' date='21 December 2009 - 06:57 AM' timestamp='1261403879' post='440730']
i am addicted. i generaly smoke 3-6 small eqyptions a day (3-5 hours). i get withdrawl symptoms but there not as bad as cigarettes. there also a bit differnt.

i smoked cigarettes for 5 years so something in my body may make me crave nicotiene, regardless of how i get it.

I started smoking at a young age (14 cigarettes) (17 hookah). they say the younger you start smoking the higher your chances of becoming addicted are.
[/quote]

I started smoking hookah around age 17 too. i believe i'mmentally addicted, possibly physically, but there are times where i dont wanna smoke hookah at all. recently though, all the info/advice on the forum makesme wanna go trynew stuff with the hookah

Update: I think I might be addicted to hookah. I don't smoke every day, but I usually smoke on Thurs-Saturday, with the heaviest smoking day on Thursday (2 or 3 standard sized bowls, or 2 small phunnels) . If I could get a bowl in on Sunday then I will, but usually don't get the chance to. Lately, I find myself waiting for Thursdays so I could smoke. If I don't get to smoke on the weekend, I feel like the weekend is wasted. I look at hookah as a chance to unwind, relax, and enjoy some "me" time . I'll sit down with a beer, or some wine,a snack, and a movie on Thursday. Friday and Saturday, I usually sit on the porch (when the weather is good) or the living room. [b]I actually thought about participating in a test to see how long I could abstain from hookah smoking, but nowadays I don't think I'll do it.[/b] I ask myself, "why won't you do it?". I tell myself that it'll be easier to do it when the weather gets a lot better where I can spend all day outside. Maybe I'll do it in May when it doesn't rain anymore and there's no chance of snow. We'll see what happens. I want to do it, but Idk.

As stated in my earlier post, I've never been addicted to anything before, and I was willing to participate in a test. Hopefully I really can do it. Maybe I'll start a log so you guys can track my progress. Edited by thatonethere

• 4 weeks later...
I have been telling myself I'm not but I am, it's all I want to do, I don't want to be away from it for more than a few hours. I am mentally and physically hooked 100% and I don't care but get irritable when I'm not smoking. I recently had surgery so smoke morning to morning, sleep 5-6 hours start again unless I have something to do then I'm smoking again. once I can drive and get out I'll be better

• 2 weeks later...
I went on a 15 day hookah hiatus! At first it was hard, but after a while, it got really easy. Nowadays, I limit my hookah sessions per month. I plan on only smoking 2 alien bowls max per session. Since the weather has gotten better, I'll be spending more time doing other things outside. Maybe the cold weather was a factor as to why I was smoking so much, but I know now that I can do it if I put my mind to it.

Plus, the Alien mini bowl helps A LOT! Less shisha, and longer sessions, ftw.

[b]I don't consider myself to be 100% addicted, because some days I feel like smoking for a long time and others I just don't feel like I'm in the mood and that's when I go for a week with no-smoking, but some days I smoke every day for a week or even a month, but is not like I get nervous 'cause i haven't smoke like others in here.[img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_hitting.gif[/img][/b]

• 2 weeks later...
I definitely am not physically addicted. No withdrawal or anything like that.
It's more of a recreational activity that I love. I would say I smoke 6-10 bowls a week.
Never more than 2 a day.
Usually while doing homework or something like that

I as well as some others have an addictive personality, but with hookah I don't feel a physical need for it as much as emotional. I know when I'm smoking hookah it's so relaxing and peaceful sometimes it shocks me how so. So it just seems easy when things get a lil more than your normal stress to just fire up the hookah and relax.