"popping" The Coals

I went to a hookah bar yesterday with people I've never hung out with before. They're all about hookah so I expected them to know a lot about hookahs. I asked what kind of tobacco they used at the bar and the kids were like "Only the best man, Starbuzz."
I have no problem with starbuzz, I smoke it all the time. I just know that there is other tobacco's out there that are a lot better.
Anyway, after I heard that, I didn't expect much from them.

However, they did this weird thing that they called either "popping" the coals or "puffing." not too sure. They left the coals on the bowl and blew the coals in like, short bursts.
I've never seen anyone do this and they said it was to get the ash off, even though it looked exactly the same. Does anyone do this?

tell them to getout.gif

that's what the ash tray is for...you pick up the coal, drop them on the tray and place them back on the bowl...

well, at least some people do....i don't touch my coals after they're on the bowl...i'm too lazy... Edited by Arcane

QUOTE (Arcane @ Nov 23 2009, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tell them to getout.gif

that's what the ash tray is for...you pick up the coal, drop them on the tray and place them back on the bowl...

well, at least some people do....i don't touch my coals after they're on the bowl...i'm too lazy...

That's what I was thinking!
I barely touch them, only when I'm up doing something.

QUOTE (rhineholt @ Nov 23 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to a hookah bar yesterday with people I've never hung out with before. They're all about hookah so I expected them to know a lot about hookahs. I asked what kind of tobacco they used at the bar and the kids were like "Only the best man, Starbuzz."
I have no problem with starbuzz, I smoke it all the time. I just know that there is other tobacco's out there that are a lot better.
Anyway, after I heard that, I didn't expect much from them.

However, they did this weird thing that they called either "popping" the coals or "puffing." not too sure. They left the coals on the bowl and blew the coals in like, short bursts.
I've never seen anyone do this and they said it was to get the ash off, even though it looked exactly the same. Does anyone do this?

nope.

I blow the ash off my coals when I drop them on the ash tray and all the ash doesn't come off... Sometimes when I am lazy and dont want to pick up the coal I blow the ash straight off the coal when I am outside.

This "method" isn't really weird at all....

Only time I blow on the bowl is when I nock the coals into the tray and I want to the ash off usually I tap the tongs on top if I have a screen but if I have foil I just blow it then put the coals back on and continue smoking ..but they just sound weird ...no offense ohmy.gif

These guys have NO clue what they're talking about lol. Get them a bowl of unwashed shisha (I prefer tangiers) But not trying to start a starbuzz vs. tangiers thread. Just my personal preference. (in fact i have a tin of Christmas mix sitting here). Let em get buzzed and they will worship you lol.

Dropping the coals is effective not blowing on them, and honestly if the ash sticks run the tongs lightly across the part you're putting fact down. The only time i ever "blow" towards the bowl is when the coals are off and I'm riding it of ash and it's too hot to touch. Either that or I'll run a flat side of the tongs across the top.

Although as a side note you should recommend they get some.....

laugh.gif

I'm sick of lounge owners/workers presenting themselves as authorities on hookahs and actually knowing very little about what they're selling.

There are a couple of probleme with this "popping" technique. First, as anyone knows, the main reason you flip your coals is because the side facing down gets cooler and may even start to go out from lack of exposure to air. When you flip them, that side gets its much needed O2, and the other, hotter side pulls the load for a while. Blowing air on a sitting coal does nothing but make the topside hotter which has little effect on the bowl.

The other problem with this technique is in how messy it is. When you have people sitting around a table and a 35" hookah towering over them, the last thing you want to do is rain down ash and burning hot sparks all over them. Even when you serve the hookah on the ground, you never want sparks and ash going everywhere. Like it's already been said: that's what the tray's for.

These lounge workers sound like posers. I wouldn't give them my business.

Simply blowing the coals will remove the ash, but ashing the coals in the tray enables you to move the coals to "untouched" parts of the shisha. I, too, used to be super lazy and just let 3-4 Cocos totally wear down before I would call it a night, but yesterday I was ashing and placing the coals all over the untouched parts of the bowl and got one fucking amazing smoke. Those asshats, which probably were using the economic friendly 10g shisha mod bowls, weren't necessarily "wrong." I wouldn't advise this method, well, ever. Enjoy your hookah--take care of the coals.

QUOTE (ih303 @ Nov 24 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sick of lounge owners/workers presenting themselves as authorities on hookahs and actually knowing very little about what they're selling.

not defending them just giving incite.
90% of there customers probably know very little about hookah and would most likely go somewhere else if they felt the owners/workers of the lounge there in know as little as they do.
It just makes good business seance to present yourself as knowledgeable. It makes better business seance to actually be knowledgeable tho.

what is everyone's obsession with touching/moving their coals?

not sure someone more knowledgeable can answer this, but why can some people get away with leaving their coals alone...but, others have to flip, rotate or ash their coals?

QUOTE (Arcane @ Nov 24 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what is everyone's obsession with touching/moving their coals?

not sure someone more knowledgeable can answer this, but why can some people get away with leaving their coals alone...but, others have to flip, rotate or ash their coals?

I think it depends on what you're smoking. Some baccy's seem to be more heat tolerant than others allowing you to leave the coals on longer. Like right now, I'm smoking TN Lucid Yellow Apple mixed with TN K-Apple. I haven't touched the coals for 30min (mostly cause I'm lazy). But it's still smoking great. On the other hand, Nakhla seems to require a bit more coal maintenance.

It also depends on the coals. I'm using CH nats. They could probably use an ashing, but why fix what ain't broke? Coco's seem to burn hotter and need to be moved from time to time.

edit: my gf just came in and ashed the coals for me. Damn her! tongue.gif

QUOTE (KyleTheJustin @ Nov 24 2009, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moving the coals can potentially preserve flavor, which is the reason primarily all of us smoke hookah. Give it a try sometime; you'd be surprised.

actually, i have...a few months ago, i used to rotate the coals every 15 minutes or so...

after tweaking my technique with packing, i don't have to move the coals unless its to make room for a new coal...

my flavor stays strong until the coals begin to shrink...no flipping, no rotating, no nothing...

try and tweak your packing...maybe you'll be able to forget about "coal maintenance" too!

note: i smoke Tangiers and Nakhla, almost with those brands either... Edited by Arcane