Flying With Hookah

I'm packing my Bambino, CH ql's, and several boxes of shisha in my checked baggage. Fearful of trouble w/this. Terrified it will all get confiscated. The NHT dogs won't mind it, I don't "use" but I'm afraid security will go through my suit case, see it all, and think the worst. Even fear rh ql's will cause concerns because of the chemicals used in them setting off some kind of sensor or a dog trained to sniff out chemical smells. Anybody traveled w/theirs? Anyone have trouble? Edited by delSol_si

QUOTE (Genie @ Nov 20 2009, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm packing my Bambino, CH ql's, and several boxes of shisha in my checked baggage. Fearful of trouble w/this. Terrified it will all get confiscated. The dr*g dogs won't mind it, I don't "use" but I'm afraid security will go through my suit case, see it all, and think the worst. Even fear rh ql's will cause concerns because of the chemicals used in them setting off some kind of sensor or a dog trained to sniff out chemical smells. Anybody traveled w/theirs? Anyone have trouble?

I have traveled with my hokah before. It is not a problem. I will not carry the coals in the carry-on, but you check the bag you should not have a problem. Last time I traveled with mine I put the tobacco and the coals in the checked bag, and I carry my hookah with me. No problem whatsoever.

QUOTE (Genie @ Nov 20 2009, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm packing my Bambino, CH ql's, and several boxes of shisha in my checked baggage. Fearful of trouble w/this. Terrified it will all get confiscated. The NHT dogs won't mind it, I don't "use" but I'm afraid security will go through my suit case, see it all, and think the worst. Even fear rh ql's will cause concerns because of the chemicals used in them setting off some kind of sensor or a dog trained to sniff out chemical smells. Anybody traveled w/theirs? Anyone have trouble?

if i were you i would keep that base close by. have you seen how the conveyor belts and people 'loading' the baggage completely destroy everything? personally, i leave only the indestructables to the checked baggage/

I've traveled with mine internationally and they looked at my two pipes but didn't say anything. I would worry about the coals the most, they are pretty paranoid about "flammable" things.

If they find the quicklite coals in your baggage, they will confiscate them, put your name on a list, and send a letter to the person who paid for the ticket. You will not be hassled, just confused as to what happened to your coals. The mystery will be when you get the letter from Homeland Security. Also, a blowtorch full of butane is OK, but a small refill canister is not.

In my case, I also had the fun of explaining to my client (I built him a recording studio in Tx) why I was "smuggling explosives" in my tool box.

Thanks all. Good input. It didn't even occur to me to try and pack the vase in my carry on because it's glass. I would think they wouldn't allow someone to carry a large piece of glass on board since it could easily be broken and made into a weapon. I still can't imagine trying that, if they won't let me carry it on board, I'll be vaseless when I get to my destination. Just packing it as well as I can in the suitcase. Come to think of it, I should find a small box that it will fit into--with plenty of padding (bubble wrap).

Hmmm, what do you know, I CAN pack my vase in my carry on! Your responses inspired me to investigate and THIS is what I found. And this also means I can pack myself some snacks. I know I can't pack water bottles, but I thought that I also couldn't pack food unless I purchased it past the check points inside the airport. Wrong again. Excellent. Edited by Genie

QUOTE (Sariél @ Nov 20 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they find the quicklite coals in your baggage, they will confiscate them, put your name on a list, and send a letter to the person who paid for the ticket. You will not be hassled, just confused as to what happened to your coals. The mystery will be when you get the letter from Homeland Security. Also, a blowtorch full of butane is OK, but a small refill canister is not.

In my case, I also had the fun of explaining to my client (I built him a recording studio in Tx) why I was "smuggling explosives" in my tool box.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I debated on taking nat coals or ql's. I rarely use ql's but it just seemed like the thing to do at my brother's. No way will he let me smoke hookah in his house so I wanted ql's for outside--didn't want to upset anyone by lighting coals on his stove. If you're serious about what you said, perhaps I'll just take the nat coals instead.

QUOTE (Genie @ Nov 20 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks all. Good input. It didn't even occur to me to try and pack the vase in my carry on because it's glass. I would think they wouldn't allow someone to carry a large piece of glass on board since it could easily be broken and made into a weapon. I still can't imagine trying that, if they won't let me carry it on board, I'll be vaseless when I get to my destination. Just packing it as well as I can in the suitcase. Come to think of it, I should find a small box that it will fit into--with plenty of padding (bubble wrap).

There's a trick to packing glass that works like a charm. Take a very large balloon and begin stuffing it in the base. Once you get it inside, blow up the balloon, leaving the "stem" hanging outside the lip of the vase. Tie it off. Wrap in a layer of bubble wrap and you're good to go. The balloon inside the vase adds counter air pressure making the glass much harder to break. I used to collect thin fragile crinkle glass objects. Vases, etc. I shipped them all over the country to friends and family members. Never had a single one break using the balloon trick.

'Rani

QUOTE (BohoWildChild @ Nov 20 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a trick to packing glass that works like a charm. Take a very large balloon and begin stuffing it in the base. Once you get it inside, blow up the balloon, leaving the "stem" hanging outside the lip of the vase. Tie it off. Wrap in a layer of bubble wrap and you're good to go. The balloon inside the vase adds counter air pressure making the glass much harder to break. I used to collect thin fragile crinkle glass objects. Vases, etc. I shipped them all over the country to friends and family members. Never had a single one break using the balloon trick.

'Rani

Cool, thanks, I had it stuffed with tissue paper and wrapped in bubble wrap secured w/rubber bands so that it could be inspected and then well secured again. Will have to look around and see if I have any balloons.

I have some ql's I hate. I think I'll pack those in my checked baggage and risk it. It's not like I'll be able to run out and get coals while I'm there so I have to try. Will put some nats in my carry on and just see what happens.

Worst case scenario, they are confiscated and I don't get to introduce my brother to the world of hookah.

I brought my hookah back from Syria to Canada, no problems at all, but i didn't have tobacco. What they will probably do is poke a hole in your shisha, take a sample with a stick, and put a sticker on the hole, other than that, probably no problems.

When I fly with homebrew, I always pack it in towels inside a pelican case. Hard case with foam inside, plus towels, and teh fact that they seal completely so there's no worries about pressure differentials (but that only matters with the 15psi inside a beer bottle).

As for the hookah, I packed my QT in it's carrying cage inside my checked baggage with no problem before. Just got a little note in my bag that they looked things over.

just got back from a trip to the dominican and no problems transporting my hookah!!!!! it was all in my checked luggage, and ql coals were put in a plastic tupperware, tobbacco was opoen as well. they didnt really open the bag to search it but they didnt run it through a scanner at one point and didnt say anything.

QUOTE (twinturboa51 @ Nov 21 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just got back from a trip to the dominican and no problems transporting my hookah!!!!! it was all in my checked luggage, and ql coals were put in a plastic tupperware, tobbacco was opoen as well. they didnt really open the bag to search it but they didnt run it through a scanner at one point and didnt say anything.

Since safety regulations have changed in air travel I've noticed a lot of inconsistencies in security with different airports and with individual security personnel themselves. So I'm just going to pack ql's in my checked and carry on bags and hope I get through with some of them. Will pack some nats in both bags too.

Really glad for everybody's input. Thank you!

This summer I flew cross country with a hookah, 1 kg of Tangiers, CH QL and Coconaras. When I was taking everything out of my luggage after landing, there was a little tag in my bag saying that my luggage was hand-inspected by the TSA. I guess they went through it and left everything there. That tells me that it's all okay.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Nov 21 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This summer I flew cross country with a hookah, 1 kg of Tangiers, CH QL and Coconaras. When I was taking everything out of my luggage after landing, there was a little tag in my bag saying that my luggage was hand-inspected by the TSA. I guess they went through it and left everything there. That tells me that it's all okay.

My bags always get inspected, although I'm not sure just how thorough they are. My bags never look like they've really been gone through--so they're either very very careful or the inspections are quite cursory. But they are always kind enough to leave a note!

Got ql's and nats packed in my checked and carry-on baggage as we speak. I'm off to see my brother and his wife and they are about to have their first child (due any second now) and I want to celebrate with hookah while I'm there. My brother has never tried it and I think I'll have him hooked pretty quick. Gonna try any way.

No sarcasm, all of this is true (I don't actually know about the list, but I can't imagine they wouln't keep records)

QUOTE (Genie @ Nov 20 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sariél @ Nov 20 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I debated on taking nat coals or ql's. I rarely use ql's but it just seemed like the thing to do at my brother's. No way will he let me smoke hookah in his house so I wanted ql's for outside--didn't want to upset anyone by lighting coals on his stove. If you're serious about what you said, perhaps I'll just take the nat coals instead.

QUOTE (Sariél @ Nov 22 2009, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sarcasm, all of this is true (I don't actually know about the list, but I can't imagine they wouln't keep records)

Thanks for clarifying! Another fine example of the inconsistencies in air travel security. That's why I'm checking some and taking some in my carry on baggage. You never know how individual security personnel will react. I'm hoping that both bags get through with the coals. If not, perhaps one bag will. If not, well.... that's just gonna suck.

This thread is very helpful, Ill be going to New Orleans in the spring for a week to do some service work
I want to bring my QT with me and all the other stuff needed to smoke, but I was afraid that I might have the coals or shisha confiscated
I think I'll be ok though if i just pack them alright, Ill probably pack everything in a tupperware container
The coals I'm still a bit worried about, i'm gonna try and pack some CH QLs but ill pack some sealed Golden QLs as well in case the CH ones are confiscated, due to them being unsealed or what not