Delicious Dinner

ilikemyusername

QUOTE (Arcane @ Nov 9 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmmm....i can't find anything...then again, i didn't really put a lot of effort into searching....work is kinda distracting me from the forums....

grrrr....

It's covered under cruelty to animals. Which is what 597 PC is in California.

'Rani

the problem here that it is or is not against the law, its one that its sic, but two its to close to home if you think about it for us pet owners..i have a dog, and at first he was a pet but now i dont look at him like a pet or a dog hes a family member..ive spent more on him for doctors bills then i have on myself..but i dont look at him like a investment since i put so much money into him..hes a family member..so just the thought of eating a dog or cat or parakeet to others is very disturbing..

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Nov 9 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the problem here that it is or is not against the law, its one that its sic, but two its to close to home if you think about it for us pet owners..i have a dog, and at first he was a pet but now i dont look at him like a pet or a dog hes a family member..ive spent more on him for doctors bills then i have on myself..but i dont look at him like a investment since i put so much money into him..hes a family member..so just the thought of eating a dog or cat or parakeet to others is very disturbing..

Exactly! And in the OP I just can't see how the guy just decided to eat his own pet... Honestly I call bullshit on that one. If not, then the guy is VERY disturbed, just like the immature chick threatening to eat her own cat if Miley Cyrus doesn't start tweeting again...

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Nov 9 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've got it. Family members. I was engaged to a Marine (okay, slight lapse in judgement - there's a reason they call them jarheads), but anyway..... He was coming home after a year tour and in one of our conversations he said "That will give you time to get rid of your cats." My response was "My cats are family. They've been with me and kept me company all during your absence and if you think they're going anywhere you're wrong. I'm not repaying them for their love and loyalty by getting rid of them." End of story? Broken engagement. And I still fully believe I made the right choice. What's more I'm firmly convinced that someone who can't get along with animals is missing a really big piece of their soul and has no business in my life.

'Rani

i get what you're saying regarding your pets as family members, but i'd ask you to think outside of your love for YOUR pets...and consider animals in general. maybe outside of our cultural norms, as well...

let's say, i raise chickens...or pigs, or goats...whatever. i raise these animals, feeding them, nuturing them, taking care of them...knowing full well, i'm going to end up killing them for food. minus the disconnect of affection or paternal attachment, wouldn't this be the same thing?

granted in the original post, it was a pet cat...but, what if it was "just a cat"? or just a dog, rabbit or snake? does the type of animal really make a difference?

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Nov 9 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

indeed, theres not much meat on a parakeet.... that should be a song.

QUOTE (Arcane @ Nov 9 2009, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i get what you're saying regarding your pets as family members, but i'd ask you to think outside of your love for YOUR pets...and consider animals in general. maybe outside of our cultural norms, as well...

let's say, i raise chickens...or pigs, or goats...whatever. i raise these animals, feeding them, nuturing them, taking care of them...knowing full well, i'm going to end up killing them for food. minus the disconnect of affection or paternal attachment, wouldn't this be the same thing?

granted in the original post, it was a pet cat...but, what if it was "just a cat"? or just a dog, rabbit or snake? does the type of animal really make a difference?

there is no JUST bro..a pet is a pet what you described doesnt sound like a pet owner, sounds like a farmer which is different because they were not his has pets..he knew what he got them for..but when you go and pick any pet that you plan to bring into your family you've just made a commitment to this animal that you will care for,love,feed, and protect it like you would your other family members..and unless you have a pet i know its hard to understand this..before i had a dog i too didnt really put my thought into animals has family members..but after having my puppy for 2 years now i really have a different out look for all animals wild or not and how they can effect your everyday life..my dog is more loyal and caring to me then some of my friends are..and i would take a bullet or run into a burning building for my dog without even thinking for a second..some may call me stupid for that, but those are people who are not pet owners..

Doesn't matter to me what animals other people eat. I had a pet rabbit once... he was a very cool pet, but I will chow down on a rabbit in heartbeat. I am not interested in eating a cat or dog though, but that is just my view... I understand that other societies have different views in the roles of various animals... nobody's right, nobody's wrong.

ok...you totally missed the point of the post...

i'm trying to find out if you guys are upset at it being a cat or at it being a pet? if it's a pet, i can see an attachment that some people have....however, you CAN'T lump pet owners into one mindset. after a pet passes away, some owners have a nice ceremony in the backyard...while others, may just dump them into hole in the forest....heck, my uncle ate his pet duck before...whatever the case may be, you can't say "blah blah, you won't understand because you're not a pet owner" nobody is the same....NOBODY.

anyways, back to my original point...are you guys upset that they ate a cat or a pet? let's say, someone was a "cat farmer"...or "parakeet farmer"? is it wrong to eat those animals since they were just raised for consumption?

and FYI, i do have a dog...i've had him since he was 8 weeks old and raised him for 4 years till a couple years ago (when i had to go to Korea)...i left him with my parents and i still called my parents every week to see how he was doing. i went through the whole gamut with him and still refer to him as my "son".

would i eat him? nope...but, if i had a pet pig that had passed away...i think i'd start up the grill when his time came near... Edited by Arcane

If you eat meat at all I really dont think you have a place to judge. Raising a pig on the farm and killing it is no different then raising fluffy and BBQing her. The animal does not understand the difference, you are raising it, feeding it, providing a home for it. I can understand personal attachment to an animal and why you might be against eating your own pet but it wasnt even his pet. He happened to eat a cat which should be viewed no different than eating a pig except for the fact that a pig happens to be a whole lot smarter. You are ending a life in order to sustain a life, at least the cat was provided a home, reasonable space to move, clean water and food. How can you say its okay to put an animal through a life of torture and then kill it but its not okay to put an animal to death that has lived a life of luxury?

QUOTE (joytron @ Nov 10 2009, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you eat meat at all I really dont think you have a place to judge. Raising a pig on the farm and killing it is no different then raising fluffy and BBQing her. The animal does not understand the difference, you are raising it, feeding it, providing a home for it. I can understand personal attachment to an animal and why you might be against eating your own pet but it wasnt even his pet. He happened to eat a cat which should be viewed no different than eating a pig except for the fact that a pig happens to be a whole lot smarter. You are ending a life in order to sustain a life, at least the cat was provided a home, reasonable space to move, clean water and food. How can you say its okay to put an animal through a life of torture and then kill it but its not okay to put an animal to death that has lived a life of luxury?

you make it sound like he is homeless and dieing from starvation..lol and it was his pet, not the op's pet but his friend whom did the deed that was his pet..lol

QUOTE (joytron @ Nov 10 2009, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jolly good point there, eating an animal is eating an animal. The difference between eating a steak and eating a kitty kitty is the amount of emotional attatchment one has. Personally I don't care about the cows, so I eat them. I also don't care much about my fish, I wouldn't eat them though, because african cichlids don't have much flavor. We've all heard of people swallowing goldfish, to a 5 year old this is unthinkable but people do it. about my cats and dog.... I work at an animal control facility, every mammal I own came from there, I saved thier life. I feel that they owe me a debt they can't repay. I wouldn't personally EAT them because that would defeat the purpose of saving them in the first place, not to mention the economical side of eating a cat dinner.