Hello, Fellow Smokers Of The Hookah!

Jondd88

I came across this forum a while ago but I decided it is finally time to register myself. Here is my obligatory self-introduction thread:

I am relatively new to hookah smoking. I have a couple of friends who own hookahs and I started to gain an interest in it. I have only been to an actual lounge once and it was actually quite disappointing. It might have just been a lame lounge but I find it much nicer (and cheaper) to smoke hookah in a private setting with my homies. I found myself unable to resist the awesomeness of owning my own hookah and finally broke down and purchased one at a local smoke shop near my friend's house. It was a cheap 12 dollar mini-hookah the likes of which most of you would probably not take seriously but I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well it seemed to smoke. It works perfectly as a To-Go hookah for small sessions while driving or between classes. Unfortunately, the little rubber gasket broke and now it leaks too much to be of use until I can find a replacement. My second hookah was a 10.5" 10 dollar pumpkin that one of my friends donated to me. I believe it was made by Mitsuba. It works alright but the paint is chipping off of the hose at the hookah-end which gets in my mouth and tastes horrible. I finally "bit the bullet" the weekend before last and bought an Econo-Mya Gelato for 50 bucks at a local shop. I have to say, this is by far the best hookah I have ever smoked. Provided, I have smoked only maybe 5 different hookahs before this one but I was in pure bliss after buying it.

Unfortunately, I had filled the base with ice and water as I always do for my nightly sessions and while I was preparing the bowl of tobacco I heard it make a "pop" sounds as the base cracked and became unusable :'( I sent an E-Mail to MYA customer service and I was able to order a new base which cost 12 bucks plus 15 S&H. It should be here next Monday and although I enjoy smoking with ice, I am hesitant to use some again as I would like this one to last more than a week... I did a search and found posts of other people using ice in their hookahs but I didn't find any that have had theirs break due to thermal shock without leaving it in the freezer or trying to wash it with warm water. Has any else had a similar experience or have some advice as to prevent this happening again in the future?

TL;DR version:
I put ice in my new Econo-Mya Gelato and it cracked! Wtf?!

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Oct 26 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello and welcome to the forum. to help make your stay here fun and educational please
Take a minute to go over our forum rules smile.gif
http://www.hookahforum.com/index.php?act=boardrules

btw, i stay form ice for a few reasons and that is a major one

I have already gone over the forum rules tongue.gif

I might have to start avoiding ice too which I hate to have to do as I enjoy using it, but not as much as I enjoy having a base...
I didn't think just putting ice in it would be enough to crack the glass...
lol, does anyone make Mya-compatible bases out of Pyrex?

QUOTE (Jondd88 @ Oct 26 2009, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello and welcome to the forum. to help make your stay here fun and educational please

I might have to start avoiding ice too which I hate to have to do as I enjoy using it, but not as much as I enjoy having a base...

you could invest in a hookah with a chiller

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Oct 26 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jondd88 @ Oct 26 2009, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you could invest in a hookah with a chiller

I don't think I have even seen one but I have read many posts on here testifying that they don't work well.
Perhaps I am using too much ice. I completely fill a ~16oz cup with ice and insert all of it before adding water up to the appropriate level.

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Oct 26 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I meant I haven't seen one in person. I have browsed those sites before though.
I don't really want to buy a new hookah since I have already put more money into this one than I should have.
H-S had a chiller add-on type of device but most of the comments mentioned rusting.

QUOTE (Jondd88 @ Oct 26 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I meant I haven't seen one in person. I have browsed those sites before though.
I don't really want to buy a new hookah since I have already put more money into this one than I should have.
H-S had a chiller add-on type of device but most of the comments mentioned rusting.

the cheapest hookah with a chiller ive seen is around $115 i believe..its a syrian model H-S has

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Oct 26 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jondd88 @ Oct 26 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the cheapest hookah with a chiller ive seen is around $115 i believe..its a syrian model H-S has

Ya, that is a bit too pricey for me.

Should I post something in another section?
Introductions might not be the best place for questions.