Hookah Etiquette

Everyone having their own hookah would very conveinent, but it depends on how big the group is. you dont want too many, because maintaing all the hookahs would get annoying fast.

the way i perfer it is for every 4 people have 1 hookah, as long as people are passing it'll be fine.

typically 2-3 pulls then pass (unless of course people are trying to learn tricks such as O's etc in which you typically get more turns)...typically a clockwise rotation assuming you guys are at a table... dont go out of order unless you have a few hookahs going cause sometimes people have been waiting on their turn for a while.

otherwise have fun!

When I smoke with 4 or more people its basically one hookah for every 2 people. Etiquette would be folding the hose over so it is facing you and passing it to them ( if they are middle eastern). Typically take about 4 puffs then pass.

When we smoke in groups we end up having anywhere from 2 to like 8 people depending on who all decides to pop into the room...8 people is a little much tho imo. And we just go with the classic Puff Puff pass.

nars actually makes a good point, untangling the hoses is very good etiquette, plus it saves you the trouble of having the hookah fall over

"Me with my own...everyone else, can do as they please." - A Hose Hog.

My place I usually pull out the obelisk, But in the event I have some honored hose hogs as myself, like Canon and Kathryn, I will pull out some KMs and set them up.

well, i cant really see how pulling out multiple pipes would not get annoying. as said before, worrying about heat for all of them would be a bitch. but, if im not smoking from that one i guess it doesnt matter how shitty the smoke is. hahaha. make people actually learn how to get it goin by themselves.

i think the most i end up smokin with is like 5 or 6, only occasionally though. in theory, i think you should have only 2 people to a hose. and again the puff puff pass. although, 5 people on a single hose takes forever to get your turn...and the only reason we were usin my single is because my brilliant sister packed up my brothers 2hose for him, convinced it was all there, and forgot the most important part...the base...but anyway, i digress...i actually forgot what i was posting about now...lol

[quote name='hookah hippie' date='23 February 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1266960792' post='453196']
I like to keep groups small like 2 or 3 per hookah. The best I have done though was when there were either 3 or 4 people and everyone had there own. (and knew how to manage it themselves)
[/quote]

Something like this??
[img]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp52/mrryno/DSC02776.jpg[/img]

imo, the group size doesn't matter....it's how many hookahs are available...

light up however many you can/want....when i invited jordan(digitalbass) over to smoke, we started off with two hookahs...one each. then added a 3rd just because.

however, if it's in a lounge and you're paying for the service....i say, get as many as your wallet can handle.

I always have to have my own. I'm just too picky about my shisha. It needs to be packed just right with the right heat management, with the right amount of water in the base. Rarely, if ever, does that happen when someone else sets it up.

I like the idea of puff puff and pass, but it seems some might be squeamish about the health aspects of sharing a mouthpiece. Do people pop their own plastic tips on before they puff? Sorry for my ignorance, but I've only ever smoked alone or with my significant other.

[quote name='Hoser' date='24 February 2010 - 10:49 AM' timestamp='1267033794' post='453427']
I like the idea of puff puff and pass, but it seems some might be squeamish about the health aspects of sharing a mouthpiece. Do people pop their own plastic tips on before they puff? Sorry for my ignorance, but I've only ever smoked alone or with my significant other.
[/quote]

I have never seen it done. I'm guessing you generally know the person fairly well before you smoke with them. Kind of like sharing a soda.

Two people to a hose at a lounge is preferred, but honestly I prefer my own. Like when I used to smoke with my friend we'd set up both of ours and each have our own because we liked to do our heat management and packing differently.

I have smoked in many group situations. Last deployment there were about 7 of us and a young lady offered to bring out both of her Mya QTs. So we started them up and it was generally 2-3 pulls to person before you pass. By the end, it was only us smoking, so we traded back and forth as needed. Though I have been in group setting in a lounge and they do provide the plastic tips. Then they were used at that point.

I usually pass to the right or get it passed to me from my left, but that is usually because TheCyrax is sitting next to me and we're the ones who set it up - eager beavers like to complain but screw 'em.

We chill with the hose for about 5 minutes before passing. The phrase "dude I just got it :blush:" is pretty commonplace but it means we'll take a few more drags and then give it to whomever asked. If its a large group we'll do two pipes or two hoses on a Mya, but if we're at a lounge we'll usually have 1 hookah per 2 people or so.

I'm a big fan of single-hose hookahs - I prefer passing to sitting with my own hose with my thumb over the mouthpiece. If there are more than four people, I'd go with more hookahs. No one likes waiting through an eight person hose rotation. Still, there are some people who love the multi-hosers. What's the point? If only one person can pull at a time, you're still waiting just as long. But when someone gets up, someone else has to grab their hose to plug it (at least with non-autoseal ports).

As far as tips go, we get people all the time who are paranoid about sharing a hose. That's fine. I personally hate tips. You could have the best hose in the world smoke like a mya hose as soon as you throw a tip on there. To each their own, though.

These things don't have to do so much with etiquette as they do with practicality and convenience.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='nars2k' date='23 February 2010 - 01:02 PM' timestamp='1266948150' post='453132']
When I smoke with 4 or more people its basically one hookah for every 2 people. Etiquette would be folding the hose over so it is facing you and passing it to them ( if they are middle eastern). Typically take about 4 puffs then pass.
[/quote]

I smoked with my cousin tonight for awhile and he just informed me about the folding the hose over when you pass. we both are half syrian, his sito(grandma) told him it was the proper way to pass. Interesting

Ahh the days of lighting up 5 hookahs for when I was hanging out with 9 other friends lol. It was fun except for management, that sucked ballllllllls because I didn't trust any of them to do it (mostly girls)

A lot of people do prefer their own mouth piece especially if one person might be sick. So just keep some on hand to provide.

• 3 months later...
What is the proper way to set down a hose? Lets say you're smoking with one other person, and both of you get up to go do something. Do you just hang it from the hookah? Or should it be set down on the table?

[quote name='sourire' date='04 July 2010 - 11:13 AM' timestamp='1278259994' post='473956']
What is the proper way to set down a hose? Lets say you're smoking with one other person, and both of you get up to go do something. Do you just hang it from the hookah? Or should it be set down on the table?
[/quote]

Pretty sure you're supposed to hang it on the hose port. Not positive though. I would hang mine on the hose port, as I used to do with my Mya hose on my old Mya QT, but...

[img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/INCUBUSRATM/Random/DSC01083.jpg[/img]

Clearly the handle is much too long. :lol:

hanging your hose on the port signifies you are done smoking, kinda like putting your silverware on your plate signifies youre done. i work at a hookah bar and the guy that does the hookah is from Iraq so he's told me all this stuff. You guys probably know that if you put a hookah on a table its considered rude in some countries, but my coworker told me in Syria if you put your feet on the table they'll beat your ass to death haha. obviously blowing clouds in other people's faces is extremely rude as well. I don't really care if i pass the hose and the person next to me takes like 5 hits that's fine, i just HATE HATE HATE when someone has the hose and tells a long story and isn't smoking... its like you know this story you're telling it so you know how long its going to take PASS IT STUPID!!:!!:!!><Mqp2itm20409