Hookah Etiquette

[quote name='EireBrode' date='21 January 2010 - 09:25 PM' timestamp='1264134309' post='447020']
I don't really understand the folding the hose over when you pass it rule... Is there any reason for it, or is it just one of those things?
[/quote]

I believe its more about respect to the other person and not forcing them to smoke, by pointing the hose towards oneself, one is not implying they smoke.

Dont have any funny rules that my friends and I do, just the ones mentioned above. But I must say the Bishop rule is hilarious lol.

[quote name='EireBrode' date='21 January 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1264134309' post='447020']
I don't really understand the folding the hose over when you pass it rule... Is there any reason for it, or is it just one of those things?
[/quote]

Like I said, I've rarely seen people in the ME sharing...

very true normally in the mid east each person has their own hookah, than again its cheaper there. But yes if you are sharing you fold it over, its a sign of respect. However I think with a big hose like a narbish and the like if you just tilt the tip of the hose towards you and not the other person you will be fine.

[quote name='Hassouni' date='22 January 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1264147716' post='447046']
[quote name='EireBrode' date='21 January 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1264134309' post='447020']
[/quote]

Like I said, I've rarely seen people in the ME sharing...
[/quote]

That's funny! No one in Kuwait shares! LOL! We all demand our own pipe!

[quote name='HookahJohn' date='21 January 2010 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1264133161' post='447017']
i liek the one about never pointing the hose when you pass it. this is easy with a mya hose where you can "loop" the hose and pass it, with a km/narb/razan/namoor, not so easy.
[/quote]

I actually find it easier to do with the bigger hoses because you have something substantial to offer the other person (the big handle) and not just a coil of hose. When I serve hookahs, I make it a point to offer the hose this way. I also encourage most of these same rules out of respect for the tradition.

At my lounge, we don't have as many unique customs as we have jokes. For instance, it's always a celebrated occasion when someone unknowingly takes a pull on a hookah without coals or even without a bowl (in between bowl changes). Also, if we ever come across a bowl that's super harsh, scorching, or just tastes terrible in general, it's like EVERYBODY has to try it. Even if the three people that tried it before just walked off hacking their lungs up with eyes watering, everyone still wants a piece. It's hilarious.

[quote name='ih303' date='22 January 2010 - 09:50 AM' timestamp='1264171837' post='447076']
[quote name='HookahJohn' date='21 January 2010 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1264133161' post='447017']
Even if the three people that tried it before just walked off hacking their lungs up with eyes watering, everyone still wants a piece. It's hilarious.
[/quote]

That reminds me of the time I cracked out some Desi Murli with a few rookie smokers....they were hacking but fighting to go again/next. It seems we hookah enthusiats just take any threat/devience from the usual as a challenge!

ideally. but sometimes thats just not how the cookie crumbles and when there is a large group ain't NOOOO one pointing that tip at me...and if there hogging...I get to ask them if they know the Bishop (which is always even more funny when its a new person in our group).

In regards to the passing of the hose someone mentioned this before and I am not sure of the factsbut an Iranian (?) leader and owner of a shisha manufacturing business started this out of a sign of respect. It was his way of making sure he was not going to be assassinated, that by passing the hose not pointing at him was a sign that you meant him no harm. I think he wound up being assassinated anyways but his legacy lives on.

[quote name='twoapplesplease' date='22 January 2010 - 07:31 PM' timestamp='1264177898' post='447085']
Personally I think everyone should be smoking there own single hose hookah.
[/quote]

I AGREE! I caught a nasty flu one time at a shisha cafe, always wonder what other diseases could be lurking. After that I demand my OWN personal pipe, cleaned by me and smoked only by me.

[quote name='delSol_si' date='23 January 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1264238908' post='447256']
don't deep throat the hose
[/quote]

DANG! Have you ever seen people do that, really get oral with their pipes? Gross.

hmmm....i've been smoking with people less and less, but noticed i've never had an issues with rules anymore....

even with new people that have never smoked with me....nobody does anything "wrong"...

[quote name='Arcane' date='24 January 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1264377599' post='447475']
hmmm....i've been smoking with people less and less, but noticed i've never had an issues with rules anymore....

even with new people that have never smoked with me....nobody does anything "wrong"...
[/quote]

id agree with this, most people that are going to be douchebags, i don't smoke with anyway. not to say i never smoke with a douchebag, but it happens less and less

I don't know I'm middle eastern and we don't follow some of those like the folding over the hose and not putting the hookah on the table. The rules that I like to follow go something like this:

1. Don't start a long ass story when you have the hose in your hand; no one cares about your trip to Mexico.
2. Don't eat food while smoking the hookah, very unsanitary.
3. Don't hog the damn hose, everyone else took an ample amount of time with the hookah, you have no excuse for smoking it for 10 minutes.
4. Don't make out with the tip of the hose, no one wants to grab the hose and start smoking a wet tip.
5. Be careful around the hookah, no cares how drunk you were when you did; you break it you pay for it.
6. Don't blow smoke in peoples faces, self explanatory.
7. Don't stare at someone when they are smoking, it's uncomfortable and weird.

[quote name='3uphrat3s' date='24 January 2010 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1264382983' post='447491']
I don't know I'm middle eastern and we don't follow some of those like the folding over the hose and not putting the hookah on the table. The rules that I like to follow go something like this:

[b]1. Don't start a long ass story when you have the hose in your hand; no one cares about your trip to Mexico.[/b]
2. Don't eat food while smoking the hookah, very unsanitary.
3. Don't hog the damn hose, everyone else took an ample amount of time with the hookah, you have no excuse for smoking it for 10 minutes.
4. Don't make out with the tip of the hose, no one wants to grab the hose and start smoking a wet tip.
5. Be careful around the hookah, no cares how drunk you were when you did; you break it you pay for it.
6. Don't blow smoke in peoples faces, self explanatory.
7. Don't stare at someone when they are smoking, it's uncomfortable and weird.
[/quote]

Great list this pretty much sums it up.

talking about the turning the tips thing, i've had a lot of friends that right after they get back from down range they are in the habit of turning the tip, it seems to be really important that its done where ever they are going. When i got to the turkish hookah lounge when they first set the hookah down they pass you the hose tip down and pointed away. Not sure exactly where it came from but it seems to be a very common tradition if its in iraq, katar, turkey, and uae.

[quote name='Scrappydoo' date='23 January 2010 - 07:29 AM' timestamp='1264253355' post='447269']
[quote name='delSol_si' date='23 January 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1264238908' post='447256']
[/quote]

DANG! Have you ever seen people do that, really get oral with their pipes? Gross.
[/quote]

I have... I have given away more hoses to people because of that... I can't smoke out of the hoses after that... they have been violated.

[quote name='ih303' date='25 January 2010 - 08:26 AM' timestamp='1264429603' post='447578']
Silly question, but this came up the other night at the lounge.

Is there a custom/tradition pertaining to which direction to pass the hose?
[/quote]

Traditional I believe, it's to the right with the right hand handle first, not tip.

[quote name='Stuie' date='25 January 2010 - 10:29 AM' timestamp='1264436960' post='447589']
[quote name='Scrappydoo' date='23 January 2010 - 07:29 AM' timestamp='1264253355' post='447269']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have... I have given away more hoses to people because of that... I can't smoke out of the hoses after that... they have been violated.
[/quote]
damn, i couldn't afford to give hoses out like that. if someone ever deep throats my hose, i wash it and don't let them smoke with me anymore. i have notice the more socially awkward the person is, the more likely they are to do this. like, most people who are social bugs know better than to do that i guess, whereas people who aren't very good socially don't understand its impolite and disgusting.

when i smoke, my lips don't even go to the side walls of the tip, i just gently put the very top of the tip to my lips, just enough for a good seal.

• 4 weeks later...