Your Head Asplode

so i dont know too much chemistry...but a thought occurred to me a few months ago. use a condenser to cool the smoke! this is exactly the purpose of a condenser, and they have been used for chemistry stuff forever. I bought a liebig/dimroth condenser, meaning that it has an inside spiral and an outside spiral. i used glycerin as the liquid, because it doesnt freeze in my freezer. i colored the glycerin with some red kool-aid because i didnt have any dye around. the hose accepts a half inch outer diameter tubing in one side and makes a good seal, and the other side takes a regular hose grommit and makes a seal with a normal hose end pretty well...i used some tape for the pics because it didnt hold in with my new hose very well. i didnt have caps to hold in the liquid, so i had to rig it closed with electrical tape.

the whole hose:

just the condenser:

a close up of the inside...its hard to make out the spiral but its there.

QUOTE (JOE @ Oct 3 2009, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
haha VERY COOL! (no pun)

thanks

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Oct 3 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
damn how bored were you..lol

lol...ive been thinking about this for a long ass time...and honestly had the thing for a few weeks...just wanted to wait until i found a good liquid to use for the cooling.

Tom16689 pointed out in chat that i didnt actually say how well it works. It works really well, comparably to adding ice to your base. the liquid only stays really cool for 15-20 minutes though unfortunately.

Good thinking. I had a similar experience with a product that is soon to be manufactured, for the hookah industry. I think this kinda think only works for stuff based off of mint, other than that it kills flavor.

QUOTE (indian_villager @ Oct 3 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good thinking. I had a similar experience with a product that is soon to be manufactured, for the hookah industry. I think this kinda think only works for stuff based off of mint, other than that it kills flavor.

it tasted the same, but i know what you mean by to much cooling. i believe a little is good sometimes, and ive wanted to use hot water but have a nice cool smoke.