What Is So Good About Brass?

Well, It can either be all brass or brass core with chrome plating. Either way as you said the metal is heavier and stronger so it is less like to bend, crack, or get a hole punched in it than the lighter, hollow body steaal or aluminium hookahs. Better materials makes for a better quality pipe. In terms of smokeability, I;ve never noticed any real difference to be honest.

I say as long as the heart is brass, you are good to go. Because after washing, water can sit in there and cause corrosion. But in my experiences if the entire inside of the pipe is galvanized steel, even letting it air dry, no rust ever forms.

So brass heart = good, no brass heart = bad!

QUOTE (mitchard @ Sep 29 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (FSUReligionMan @ Sep 29 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When they oxodize they turn green biggrin.gif

Only pain in the ass about my brass pipe. I hate polishing it. The brasso give me a huge headache, even if the area in well ventilated haha. It does look amazing when its nice and shiny though.

Bah! do the tri metals have this headache causing brass in them? I want one, but don't want headaches, I get them bad enough as it is.

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Sep 30 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only pain in the ass about my brass pipe. I hate polishing it. The brasso give me a huge headache, even if the area in well ventilated haha. It does look amazing when its nice and shiny though.

Bah! do the tri metals have this headache causing brass in them? I want one, but don't want headaches, I get them bad enough as it is.

read closer, its the brasso polish that gives him the headache, not the brass itself.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Sep 30 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

read closer, its the brasso polish that gives him the headache, not the brass itself.

LOL
Headache causing brass? What is this that you speak of?!

QUOTE (demonix @ Sep 30 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mushrat @ Sep 30 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL
Headache causing brass? What is this that you speak of?!

The government produced it around the same time they made AIDS and the Swine Flu.

QUOTE (mushrat @ Sep 30 2009, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up mush. I just figured he misspelled "brass" by accidentally putting an "o" at the end. I had to look up what brasso was ohmy.gif

Brass is a bitch to keep looking great, but they do make for the most beautiful pieces when upkeep is correct.

My brass Glyph finally had it's downstem die...but guess what? I love the thing to much, that I'm going to fix the downstem. I'm still looking for the correct brass stock, but when done.....oooh baby!

My theory on brass is since it has a higher thermal conductivity than steel, it cools the smoke more. I could be wrong, but my hookah seems to smoke cooler than my friends' hookahs, which are all stainless steel. Edited by mustang_steve

QUOTE (shishafan @ Oct 5 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got a brass hookah, the surrounds are turning on the outside are turning green, and the inside of the stem is turning some funky colors. is this all normal and safe to smoke out of?

Brush the vertigris off the inside of the stem. When it forms from exposure to water and air it is comprised of mostly copper carbonate, which can be toxic to humans (it used to be used as a fungicide).

QUOTE (foibled again @ Oct 6 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got a brass hookah, the surrounds are turning on the outside are turning green, and the inside of the stem is turning some funky colors. is this all normal and safe to smoke out of?

Brush the vertigris off the inside of the stem. When it forms from exposure to water and air it is comprised of mostly copper carbonate, which can be toxic to humans (it used to be used as a fungicide).

ok now i am freaked out. when i look down the tube it looks pretty smooth other than some scratches, or something that looks like that. i hope that its not that nasty stuff growing in there. i stuck a paper towel on a hanger down there and there is some green liquid on the paper.

QUOTE (shishafan @ Oct 6 2009, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (foibled again @ Oct 6 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok now i am freaked out. when i look down the tube it looks pretty smooth other than some scratches, or something that looks like that. i hope that its not that nasty stuff growing in there. i stuck a paper towel on a hanger down there and there is some green liquid on the paper.

Contrary to what others have said, brass does "rust"... just not in the same way as steel. The green stuff is oxidized copper (brass is a copper/zinc alloy), and really won't hurt you unless you're eating the crap that comes out of it. Just clean it every so often with a brush like any hookah. Hell, I use copper solutions as a fungicide/algecide in my grandma's swimming pool, hasn't killed anyone there yet!

Also, I've heard that brass as antiseptic as well (so no shit will grow in your pipe):

Germicidal Properties: The copper in brass makes brass germicidal, via the oligodynamic effect. For example, brass doorknobs disinfect themselves of many bacteria within eight hours.[12] This effect is important in hospitals, but useful in many contexts. (Wikipedia)

QUOTE (Punx Clever @ Oct 6 2009, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Contrary to what others have said, brass does "rust"... just not in the same way as steel. The green stuff is oxidized copper (brass is a copper/zinc alloy), and really won't hurt you unless you're eating the crap that comes out of it. Just clean it every so often with a brush like any hookah. Hell, I use copper solutions as a fungicide/algecide in my grandma's swimming pool, hasn't killed anyone there yet!

Eric was correct. Brass does not rust as rust refers specifically to the oxidation of iron. Brass oxidizes just like iron and all other metals but the corrosion layer that forms is passivating in most cases. Rust, or oxidation of iron can also be passivating depending on the conditions it forms under.