Sickness From Smoking Hookah - Recommendation!

QUOTE (ilikemyusername @ Sep 27 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
personally I recomend building a tolerance.

+1 I used to get a lil sick from what I suppose was slight nicotine poisoning because I wasn't used to it. But now I can chain smoke nak for two hours and barely feel a buzz or anything. Edited by norcalsmoker

Drinking alcohol while smoking hookah is fun, but if you really want to feel pretty good, get drunk, wait for the buzz to be on its way out, then plow some hookah--best feeling in the world.

But, yeah, don't be an idiot: eat before you smoke, drink something while you're smoking, and smoke somewhere where there is plenty of oxygen.

I figured that would be quite obvious lol.

I went and did some research online, and dug up a study that the American Lung Association did on hookah smoking. To quote them, a 40 minute session of hookah is as bad as 100 cigarettes in terms of the amounts of CO, nicotine, tar, and other harmful chemicals your lungs absorb. They say that a 40 minute session of hookah can result in a 250% higher nicotine content in the blood than one cigarette. Their data is very circumstantial though, so don't take it all as strictly proven. This is one study, and to me it looks fairly half-assed and VERY biased. Amongst other laughable things they mentioned, hookah is a way to transmit HIV...

One thing I did walk away from that article with, and what I would like to share, is that the nicotine "buzz" probably plays a huge role in what makes us sick. Plenty of food and water/Gatorade are definitely ways to offset the buzz, just as they are when drinking lots of alcohol. Maybe Vitamin B would help too...? Thoughts?

Guy

Here's the link to the article. Also, Googling "is hookah harmful?" will bring up a whole slew of others.

http://www.addictioninfo.org/articles/2968...mful/Page1.html