John's Cigars?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is essential that you get distilled water as soon as possible. Regular water (tap or bottled) contains minerals and impurities that could lead to mold growth or clog up your humidifier.

Mineral water is sold by the gallon for about 50 cents in the bottled water section of your supermarket.

I got my cigar order today.

Double bagged the cigars so I can freeze them to kill any beetle larvae. It's HOT here in Tucson right now... anything about 75 degrees or so and you risk a tobacco beetle outbreak. I'm going to do 24 hours in the fridge, 72 hours in the freezer, and 24 hours in the fridge.

Using Humid-Eze wetting solution in the humidification sponge. I'm using such a large saucer because I'm going to be away for a few days. Hygrometer will be here tomorrow.

The directions for these beads just say to leave them in the tube.. and the little tube has holes in it.. and just pour the water on the tube until 80% of them are clear-looking. Then put the tube in the humidor.

Holy shit I want to break my hygrometer. I've been doing the salt test for about 12 hours, and it's reading like 61% humidity. If it were perfectly accurate it would read 75%... there's no way my hygrometer is 14% off.

Alrighty.. got a fresh gallon of distilled water.. sheesh.. filled my little spritzer bottle.. sprayed the roll till it looked like 20% of the beads were still white.. put it in my humidor, and took the shotglass of regular water out.. now to wait and hope I didn't completely damage my sticks with regular tap water.