Light Natural Coals With A Lighter?

I am sure this has been asked before but I have searched and searched and I cannot find anything about it, at least nothing clear.

I am wondering if it is possible to light natural hookah coals with a lighter rather than a stove specifically Coco Naras, as I have read that they are really good.

I am currently a college student living on campus so I have to smoke outside and do not have access to a stove, I know I can buy a small gas grill to light coals but I would prefer to have something very portable I can fit in my pocket.

I have never used natural coals before, I have always used 3 Kings and I like them but now that I am getting more interested in Hookah and have a more discerning taste I am really starting to notice the bad flavor the coals add and sometimes can only taste the charcoal rather than the shisha.

Also if a lighter does exist could someone please link to it? I have looked at some of the micro-torch lighters on hookah-shisha but I am not sure if they will light natural coals.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Your lighter would probably run out before you lit cocos. If I smoke out on campus, I use a propane torch to light my coals. A regular light or even a torch lighter wont work. You could try Hookah John's Quicklights, those are really good qls, and they are still coconut coals.

the only other thing that I know of other than a stove/coil burner/hot plate is a blow torch...like the ones used for welding

seems like too much effort to me, I'd stick to three kings if I were you whilst at school

I also read somewhere that it is possible to light coals in the microwave is this true? For some reason I doubt it but it's worth asking because I have a microwave at school and as long as there wasn't any smoke that would set off the alarms I could light them in the dorm and then carry it outside.

QUOTE (TheInvsbleMan @ Sep 9 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also read somewhere that it is possible to light coals in the microwave is this true? For some reason I doubt it but it's worth asking because I have a microwave at school and as long as there wasn't any smoke that would set off the alarms I could light them in the dorm and then carry it outside.

Scalli tried it and if I remember correctly it didn't work too well. Like ryno suggested I would recommend Hookah John's ql. Excellent coals in my opinion.

ch ql's are golden quick lights are both great

the thing about quick lights is, if you smoke them outside with any wind whatsoever then it's going to be an issue. they ash too easily and require a wind cover in those circumstances. chronic ql's though ash very well, making it very nice for outdoor smoking w/out a windcover.

smoking hookah outside with any significant amount of wind is almost useless though

I light at school and have to use 3K coals, much easier. You can just buy a coil stove for like $10 at a Walgreens or wal mart and just find an outlet somewhere and light the nat coal there. Put it on a coal tray and deal with it there. Thankfully, outside a lot of the buildings here, there are outlets. Just keep your eye on the lookout for those and you should be gold.

QUOTE (sburke15 @ Sep 14 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about using a soda (or beer) can stove run off alcohol. Like off http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm I used to make them to play around with when I was more into backpacking and such. They should work with a stand built over them for coals.

I was also about to ask if something like that would work. I have the same problem as the OP, and I wanted to make one to light some naturals that I ordered on accident. My girlfriend insists that I send them back, but I'd rather use naturals anyway, seeing as there is a taste benefit, and a very slight health benefit.

QUOTE (wesclrg @ Sep 14 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<br />if you live on rez the smell of the CH QL's might be a problem since they smell like a burning campfire when youre lighting them. once theyre lit they are fine though. why not just get a portable coil stove that you can plug into an electrical outlet?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

just use one of these!

Best investment for those of us who cant easily light coals where we smoke