Anyone Here Have Experience With Dd-wrt?

SimplexCoda

So im looking at creating a new home network setup and had a few questions about DD-WRT.
1. Im planning on using a Dlink DGL-4500 as my host router. I know that there are some issues between a WRT flashed router and a non linux based host. Does anyone know if this host router is Linux based or has any known issues between it and WRT?
2. Im not sure exactly how this goes down. Any Advice?

I don't think D-Link makes anything compatible outside of their Di and DiR series routers.

I don't know a lot about it. A friend uses it. It has controlled bandwith. Which is cool.
And a worm was found that can screw up the system. So when setting up. Make sure you update to the latest V24-SP1.

I know it is a lot easier to setup then it seems and easy to maintain. Since i've seen my buddies. The bandwith control is probably the only thing about it that seems neat.

QUOTE (SimplexCoda @ Sep 7 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So im looking at creating a new home network setup and had a few questions about DD-WRT.
1. Im planning on using a Dlink DGL-4500 as my host router. I know that there are some issues between a WRT flashed router and a non linux based host. Does anyone know if this host router is Linux based or has any known issues between it and WRT?
2. Im not sure exactly how this goes down. Any Advice?

Make sure you can get the best/highest version you can get outside of the business pack.
Check all possible firmware updates for it for any known hacks.
Check their compatibility with any routers you plan on using.

DD-WRT has been around a while. I may not have direct experience with it but I know they have a website floating around somewhere.

Yeah i have checked their site and it sort of assumes that you know how to actually flash the router. Also i wouldnt be flashing the DLink router, that would jsut be a host router connected to my POP. I would actually be flashing a Linksys router to be set up as a bridge. This is why i want DD-WRT. I dont care as much about the bandwidth control because the DLG-4500 can do that on its own, sort of, but good enough for what i want.

I'ved used DD-WRT to setup a network bridge on a gen3 Linksys WRT54G router. Setting it up was pretty confusing due to the fact that i did not have physical access to the other router. the bridging to the main router (the one that connects to the internet) is pretty transparent, most of the setup was on the wrt54g

QUOTE (omgitsjimmy @ Sep 7 2009, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'ved used DD-WRT to setup a network bridge on a gen3 Linksys WRT54G router. Setting it up was pretty confusing due to the fact that i did not have physical access to the other router. the bridging to the main router (the one that connects to the internet) is pretty transparent, most of the setup was on the wrt54g

Yeah it would seem that once the firmware is flashed setting the hardware up the way you want it is easy, it just seems that the site is vague about how to do the actual flashing.

QUOTE (SimplexCoda @ Sep 8 2009, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it would seem that once the firmware is flashed setting the hardware up the way you want it is easy, it just seems that the site is vague about how to do the actual flashing.

Log in to the linksys router and there is a setting somewhere where you can upload the new dd-wrt firmware.
http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/how-to-flash...-linksys-router

If I remember correctly, newer versions of the Linksys WRT54G have less memory and need leaner smaller firmware.

QUOTE (omgitsjimmy @ Sep 8 2009, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Log in to the linksys router and there is a setting somewhere where you can upload the new dd-wrt firmware.

If I remember correctly, newer versions of the Linksys WRT54G have less memory and need leaner smaller firmware.

I think your thinking opposite, im thinking the newer linksys routers are bigger flash memory cause they are kinda down with the DD-WRT.
Thanks for the link btw.

QUOTE (SimplexCoda @ Sep 11 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (omgitsjimmy @ Sep 8 2009, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think your thinking opposite, im thinking the newer linksys routers are bigger flash memory cause they are kinda down with the DD-WRT.
Thanks for the link btw.

gen 6+ has less memory (to save money i think), they might have increased it again now that dd-wrt and other 3rd party firmwares are popular

Love DDWRT. Use it at home. Have four cheap routers running it here at the office serving as our wifi access points. The old Linksys WRT54G models (up to version 5) have 4MB flash memory. After version 5, they have 2. These days, I buy either the Buffalo routers that are compatible with DDWRT or the Linksys WRT54GL (the L adds about $10 and puts the memory back to 4MB). DDWRT supports a ton of newer routers, but a lot of them now aren't supported for free (have to pay to get DDWRT that works with them). I always make sure that I buy hardware that works with the free version of DDWRT.

Once you have a compatible router, follow the guide for your model on the DDWRT wiki. The last one I did was a Linksys WRT54GL and was the easiest and fastest one I've ever done. Very straightforward steps. Use the standard build of DDWRT unless you know you need something not in it.

I've used a Buffalo running DDWRT to bridge to a DLink running the stock firmware. This was a few years ago, but it "just worked" when I set up the wifi settings in the bridge part of DDWRT.

QUOTE (bolt in blue @ Sep 11 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love DDWRT. Use it at home. Have four cheap routers running it here at the office serving as our wifi access points. The old Linksys WRT54G models (up to version 5) have 4MB flash memory. After version 5, they have 2. These days, I buy either the Buffalo routers that are compatible with DDWRT or the Linksys WRT54GL (the L adds about $10 and puts the memory back to 4MB). DDWRT supports a ton of newer routers, but a lot of them now aren't supported for free (have to pay to get DDWRT that works with them). I always make sure that I buy hardware that works with the free version of DDWRT.

Once you have a compatible router, follow the guide for your model on the DDWRT wiki. The last one I did was a Linksys WRT54GL and was the easiest and fastest one I've ever done. Very straightforward steps. Use the standard build of DDWRT unless you know you need something not in it.

I've used a Buffalo running DDWRT to bridge to a DLink running the stock firmware. This was a few years ago, but it "just worked" when I set up the wifi settings in the bridge part of DDWRT.

Well, i changed my mind on the router i want to flash, I want to go with a D-Link DIR-600. First off, i cant figure out how to navigate the ddwrt download section. Second do you know about flashing this router?

This is what I found from some googling. It seems like only revision B hardware is supported for the DIR-600:

1. Download the firmware from this forum (it is attached to the first post, looks like you have to register to see attachments): http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=340315#340315
2. You can supposedly install this firmware through the stock D-Link upgrade my firmware page
3. If #2 doesn't work, take a look at the instructions here. It gives you a couple of steps and then tells you to follow part of his un-flashing instructions: http://www.shadowandy.net/2009/08/wow-the-...orts-dd-wrt.htm

Good luck with your project! Looks like you have better hardware than I do.

nice man, good work. I am already registered over at DD-WRT, but theres so many people that when you only have like 2 posts its hard to get your stuff answered, so i will D/L, order routers, while they are being shipped read up on recovering from a bad flash, then when they get here see if i got the right hardware revision, if not someone here can buy a brand new DIR-600.

Ok, so radio suck has annoyed me.
I called asking if they carried D-Link routers. The 17 year old cheer leader who answered the phone says, "Umm, no we only carry B and G type routers."

To which I responded: "Thats great, but do you carry a brand called D-Link?"

She said "no we only carry Linkseeese" (Thats how she said it, not linksys.)

Is it that hard to find people who can at least pronounce a brands name and know when someone is talking about a brand instead of the way it works?

Radio Shack carries Linksys and NetGear

Obviously you want linksys, if you're going to buy it like that. I'd recommend one of the older models from ebay but that's just my opinion after having flashed two of them.

It's really not that hard "flashing" i just a firmware upgrade to the router. So instead of a manufacturer approved upgrade ur substituting your own. It seems confusing but as long as you read the DDWRT wiki and the specific instructions for your router (i think linksys brand is the easiest one) takes a little while but after the first time it's easy as pie.

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Sep 16 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Radio Shack carries Linksys and NetGear

Obviously you want linksys, if you're going to buy it like that. I'd recommend one of the older models from ebay but that's just my opinion after having flashed two of them.

It's really not that hard "flashing" i just a firmware upgrade to the router. So instead of a manufacturer approved upgrade ur substituting your own. It seems confusing but as long as you read the DDWRT wiki and the specific instructions for your router (i think linksys brand is the easiest one) takes a little while but after the first time it's easy as pie.

Well, I would go with a linksys, but for one their N Draft routers are eh, to me. And the host router uses WPA2 so the rest has to match.

Plus i just dont like linksys.

fair enough, I just perfer my linksys b/c it's kicked the hell out of every router I've put it against, but that's just my experience I actually modified my old school G router to give me 90% signal 3 buildings over from me (going through about 5 brick walls and 4 apartments) in a straight line.

I wouldn't touch the N routers until they finally do the non draft anyway.

I'm with liquidglass - stay away from N until we start seeing hardware with the final specs out. I haven't heard much about DDWRT and 802.11n, so I'm sticking with g for now. I've consistently had good experiences with DDWRT on Linksys and Buffalo hardware. Everything else I've owned has turned out to be junk.

So, i got the routers in. I got rev A1 on the DIR-600 not revb which is what dd-wrt says it supports. So i checked the link that was sent to me earlier, it seems that the second firmware thats attached in that page on that link is useable by rev A1. any thoughts?