Best Way To Make Hookah Healthier? Coals Maybe?

Ok so I hookah all the time, probably once a day if not more and I am concerned about getting cancer and dying bomb.gif . Realistically I won't quit so what is the best way to make hookah healthy?

I have heard lemon-wood coals are healthier then quick lites but they are hard to use, they take forever, they ash too much, they smell bad, and all sorts of other probelms. Can I just cut up a certain kind of wood myself and heat it up? Or is there some other magical coals I haven't heard of?

And is there any other way to reduce health risks other then coals?

Thx dash2.gif
Mathows

I suggest you search around the forum and read the rules ..

There are many great natural coals such as

Coconaras
CH Natural Coals you can find those at www.hookahjohn.com
Shishaco (didnt really like them, some people do) which are at thehookah.com

Then there are also Japanese style coals such as easy lites and golden canaries.

The one big thing I find most important other than using natural instead of QL coals is to be sure you are cooking the tobacco and not burning the crap out of it. And also to keep your hookah maintained and clean, always change water after a session, a friend of mine never washed the water ... it was eventually brown and he got pneumonia from smoking with all that nasty stuff in the water.

Surf the forum and you will find an answer for every question you have.

Good luck!

Well, there are the coconut shell coals, which I love. Shishaco and Coconaras are two brands. They don't stink. They take about 8 minutes to heat up on an electric coil, which is about how long it takes me to set up a hookah.

You can switch to herbal shisha, which is nicotine free.

But anytime you smoke anything there's a health risk. Smoke just isn't healthy, we weren't meant to inhale it.

There are also filters now. Here's a random link to those: http://www.discoverhookah.com/store/catalo...er-p-16171.html They supposedly remove a certain amount of the nicotine.

QUOTE (mathows @ Aug 27 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok so I hookah all the time, probably once a day if not more and I am concerned about getting cancer and dying bomb.gif . Realistically I won't quit so what is the best way to make hookah healthy?

I have heard lemon-wood coals are healthier then quick lites but they are hard to use, they take forever, they ash too much, they smell bad, and all sorts of other probelms. Can I just cut up a certain kind of wood myself and heat it up? Or is there some other magical coals I haven't heard of?

Thx dash2.gif
Mathows

You probably want Coconut coals - it's what most of us use. It is debatable as to whether they are healthier or not, but they are certainly 'better'. They last longer, produce a more consistent heat, ash cleaner, smell better (not like gunpowder).

If you don't mind spending $13 or so for 84 coals, get Coconara coals.

No matter what type you try, you need a way to light them. Go to your local Walgreens, and go to the kitchen appliance aisle. Buy the $9.99 Single Coil Burner. It will look sometihng like this:

Maybe herbal shisha, I guess. But at the end of the day, tobacco isn't good for you, and if you're really that concerned, maybe cut back a little. Some people eat fast food everyday and say, "I'm really fat, how can I lose weight?" and the answer is simply don't eat so many damn cheeseburgers. It's not the ideal answer, no. It would be really sweet if you could eat whatever you wanted and not clog your arteries, but that's simply not the way things are. So you have to practice moderation, and learn to enjoy the things you love less frequently.

Hmmm...now I want a cheeseburger. Sorry for the rambling analogy. Edited by dakur001

Eh, I disagree with you on that mclovin, I smoke one bowl a day and I am concerned with my health. When I Started smoking i stopped eating bad food, soda, candy, I began to research unhealthy ingredients in frozen foods/store bought foods, hydration levels, and all different things.

The way I see it, some people smoke because they enjoy to smoke, but just because they smoke doesn't mean they aren't concerned about their health. It made me want to balance my life more, because of smoking I stopped doing a lot of other unhealthy things that I used to do.

Believe it or not I wasn't concerned with my health, until I started smoking ... weird right? It does make sense when you think about it though ... well I think so.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Aug 27 2009, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh, I disagree with you on that mclovin, I smoke one bowl a day and I am concerned with my health. When I Started smoking i stopped eating bad food, soda, candy, I began to research unhealthy ingredients in frozen foods/store bought foods, hydration levels, and all different things.

The way I see it, some people smoke because they enjoy to smoke, but just because they smoke doesn't mean they aren't concerned about their health. It made me want to balance my life more, because of smoking I stopped doing a lot of other unhealthy things that I used to do.

Believe it or not I wasn't concerned with my health, until I started smoking ... weird right? It does make sense when you think about it though ... well I think so.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I think when you find something you love that happens to be undeniably detrimental to your health, you become more serious about reevaluating and if necessary altering other aspects of your life. I'd say that I've started eating better and exercising more since I started smoking hookah more regularly...I find that doing these things isn't difficult. Quitting hookah, on the other hand, would be very challenging for me.

i may have been too blunt in my comment. I guess i was kinda shocked by someone saying make smoking healthier. i also exercise and eat well on the regular. Oh yea I order diet coke with my jack daniels so I may be a hypocrite lol

QUOTE (mathows @ Aug 27 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thx dash2.gif
Mathows
Coals are a major pain in the ass to make "properly", just not worth the effort/cost/safety. QL's are fine, just let them
ash over evenly before tossing on the bowl.

Herbal shisha would save you from nicotine addiction, then again a Heba diffusor should reduce the nicotine in the smoke. Also weigh in washed vs. unwashed tobacco.

A lot of factors to balance and many paths to follow...

The charcoal is a big risk factor.

The question is how much sulfur does the coal have in it? Whether sulfur is added or not is less relevant. Some wood has more sulfur in it naturally.

Smoking herbal sheesha is not likely to decrease your risk, since it still uses the charcoal.

I don't think the wood coming from lemon trees or coconut trees necessarily makes the charcoal safer either. I remember that Eucalyptus coal has much less sulfur than mesquite coals...do you want to use eucalyptus coals? probably not. They probably taste gross.

Smoking is dangerous. Plain and simple. Genuine Japanese Coals (Canary, Abu Hitham, Fumari) tend to be much lower in sulfur...they have sulfur processed out. It may be that most natural coals have lots of sulfur in them.

QUOTE (dakur001 @ Aug 28 2009, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Aug 27 2009, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm inclined to agree with this. I think when you find something you love that happens to be undeniably detrimental to your health, you become more serious about reevaluating and if necessary altering other aspects of your life. I'd say that I've started eating better and exercising more since I started smoking hookah more regularly...I find that doing these things isn't difficult. Quitting hookah, on the other hand, would be very challenging for me.

not me...i smoke hookah, used to drink a ton (i don't anymore, due to saving money...not my health), i eat a lot, and spend a lot of time sitting and chatting on forums...i am focused on enjoying my life, whether may activities be detrimental to my heath.

then again, my lifestyle itself isn't really conducive to a long life....soooo, i'm going to enjoy every second i can...

There was a point in my life where I was like that too arcane and when I turned 21... That was probably the last of me going crazy. I am concerned a lot about my health. I smoke hookah regularly but thats because I enjoy it.

I cut out the other little bullshit, drinking almost every day and eating taco bell every day and other fast foods.

So definitly with Mattarios on that subject.

As far as coals, coals may be the worst part about hookah. There is someone on the forum doing a hookah study at there university I am waiting for these results. You're best bet is to read reviews and or expieriemnt with different coals. Also make sure the coals are fullllly lit before you start puffing away.

Stop smoking

and eat lots of raw vegetables. In another agreement with mattarios2, I'm going through this same skepticism. I am instead looking at the other things I consume on a regular basis, such as amino acids rather than the proteins we think we need (90's meat industry propaganda...check it out if you haven't). Hookah is bad for you, but it's a step down from cigarettes. Just don't migrate to cigs and you'll be alright for a while longer than what everyone calls "smokers".

I've been more interested in many of the washed tobacco lines as of late because it's a good way to control addiction. Cigarettes got me hooked for a good year and a half, then I switched to unwashed shisha tobacco. I LOVED the buzz from all the unwashiness, but my addiction felt more strong than ever. Careful with nicotine, it can get ya faster than a closet monster on roller skates.

QUOTE (dakur001 @ Aug 27 2009, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe herbal shisha, I guess. But at the end of the day, tobacco isn't good for you, and if you're really that concerned, maybe cut back a little. Some people eat fast food everyday and say, "I'm really fat, how can I lose weight?" and the answer is simply don't eat so many damn cheeseburgers. It's not the ideal answer, no. It would be really sweet if you could eat whatever you wanted and not clog your arteries, but that's simply not the way things are. So you have to practice moderation, and learn to enjoy the things you love less frequently.

Hmmm...now I want a cheeseburger. Sorry for the rambling analogy.

I agree with this. Obviously the healthy choice is to stop smoking. But hey I'm smoking right now so I'm not going to preach at all. Everyone is unhealthy, in one form or another. So pick your poison, just don't pick all of them.

If you want to give lemonwoods a good try, look for Al-Wady El-Gidid coals....orange bag, with a really funny address on it (uses landmarks).

The trick is to use an electric coil to get them started...and to keep going until they have a nice orange glow and a subtle flame around them. Take them off, gently blow out the flame, and use. If they are too cold, they impart a flavor. There is no such thing as a lemonwood being too hot though, since they rapidly cool back down to usable temps in the time it takes to trnasport them from the kitchen to the hookah.

I may go back to lemonwoods after I'm done with my CH coals...per buck the lemonwoods last me a lot longer, and deliver a better heat (almost no coal placment issues at all.

Given, I'm still pissed about the massive rock I found in one bag...seriously, what the hell?

life is too short to worry about death, fear it yes but if you life a short great life isnt it better than living a long terrible one, live everyday like its your last, id rather have a great life even if its a little shorter.

If you're looking for natural coals, I'd suggest the Sallaam Orangewood coals from Hookah Company. Good coals as long as you light them outside and break them into manageable pieces.

Well, nevermind, they arent there anymore, but if you can find them, use them if you dont mind a little inconvenience. But if you do mind, use what you've been using or switch to the ones Eric suggested, they are good. Edited by Bulldog_916

You can't condemn the OP for wanting a less bad shisha experience. I went through this cycle a while back and see nothing wrong with checking if you can do anything better. Smoking is bad, sure, but you can always make it less bad.

What I found makes it a little cleaner (for me) is to make sure the hookah is cleaned regularly and use some decent coals - I found the jap coals work well for me.

How do I measure if my setup is making a difference? If my chest feels tight and heavy the day after I smoke then I know i've done something wrong - probably coals not burnt properly or the tobacco was burning.

No, that is true, I agree with you, London. What I think several of us are saying (glibly, admittedly)

Which is more deadly? A truck hitting a pedestrian at 60 MPH or a truck with an ant on it hitting a pedestrian at 60 MPH? In a mensurate, quantifiable manner, adding the ant will lower survival rates. In real terms, it probably won't matter too much.

I suggest using Japanese Quicklight Coals (Canary Golden, Abu Hitham, or Fumari Brand). They are lower in sulfur which I believe reduces their carbon monoxide production. I have little to back this up though.