My New Homemade Hose!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (jellywerker @ Sep 11 2009, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like this, but every time I try to work with vinyl tubing, it's too inflexible and just not worth it. Any difference for you or are your hoses simply not very active (passed around in circles) and you don't need the flexibility?

You're probably using a tubing with a thicker wall diameter. The first DIY hose I ever made had a very thick wall dimension, and was not flexible at all. The tubing I used for my 3 newest DIY hoses (made the same way Del did here) was much thinner. I found it in Home Depot where they sell tubing for ice machines. It came in a 20' very tight roll. I cut the hose into 3 equal parts, put them in the sink with half a cup of lemon juice and baking soda, filled it half way with hot water, then poured 3 cups of boiling water in. When it it was good and hot, I clamped all 3 hoses to a hook outside, and clamped a 5 pound weight to the bottom end. This allowed them to straighten out. They are perfectly straight now, flex well, and have no kinks.

QUOTE (jellywerker @ Sep 11 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like this, but every time I try to work with vinyl tubing, it's too inflexible and just not worth it. Any difference for you or are your hoses simply not very active (passed around in circles) and you don't need the flexibility?

I usually smoke solo, maybe one person, flexibility isn't a big issue for me. I have noticed that if I leave the tubing unwrapped it is a little more flexible. I found some latex tubing at lowes on my last trip, much more flexible, but it has too small of a diameter sad.gif

QUOTE (joytron @ Sep 12 2009, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i also like the black one...
wub.gif

Cool! I am going out to get a few new rolls of yarn today for Jay's hoses, I'll make his and then see which you like more. I am trying to not make more than one of the same kinda, keep em original, but if you like the black one I can make a second one.

QUOTE (Zinite @ Sep 12 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jellywerker @ Sep 11 2009, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're probably using a tubing with a thicker wall diameter. The first DIY hose I ever made had a very thick wall dimension, and was not flexible at all. The tubing I used for my 3 newest DIY hoses (made the same way Del did here) was much thinner. I found it in Home Depot where they sell tubing for ice machines. It came in a 20' very tight roll. I cut the hose into 3 equal parts, put them in the sink with half a cup of lemon juice and baking soda, filled it half way with hot water, then poured 3 cups of boiling water in. When it it was good and hot, I clamped all 3 hoses to a hook outside, and clamped a 5 pound weight to the bottom end. This allowed them to straighten out. They are perfectly straight now, flex well, and have no kinks.

Thats a really good idea, if I had the space to do that, I would try, but dorms are limited. Luckily, the hoses are detachable, so if anyone that gets one of these wants to try it, they can. Thanks for the compliments earlier, I just think it looks a little sloppy since the criss-crosses don't line up all the way down. But, it was my first one like that, hopefully they will get better, I have an idea so we will see how it goes.

hahaha...people are goin to be rockin' the Tyler Hoses soon!

do you have to clean/prep the PVC pipe and tubing prior to use? I'd imagine it'd be super plastic-y unless you gave it a good wash before using it the very first time.

QUOTE (Arcane @ Sep 12 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

do you have to clean/prep the PVC pipe and tubing prior to use? I'd imagine it'd be super plastic-y unless you gave it a good wash before using it the very first time.

The PVC riser that is used for the handle didn't have any taste to it. I washed the tubing out with lemon juice and baking soda, and it didn't have any taste to it.

QUOTE (Arcane @ Sep 12 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, hopefully! I am making a trip to lowes today to pick up more supplies smile.gif

I first cut the pvc and then I wash every piece of these (except the yarn) before putting them together just in case. I'll admit, they do still have a slight plastic-y taste the first few pulls. After that, they are fine. I don't use the lemon juice and baking soda, maybe I should, but I don't have either of those things and last time I tried cleaning with those, it made a huge mess and wasn't worth it to me.

Nice hoses Zinite, I like the sparkle. I wasn't sure whether to use the angled mouthpiece or not. How do you like or dislike it?

Sorry it is taking me forever to get these hoses out....I have been super busy between classes, Beta Alpha Psi, and Phi Beta Lambda. I also had a little hiccup with lowes, they won't restock two of the pieces I need to make more. I looked around and found a replacement for the mouthpiece which I actually like more. So, I may be tearing most of these hoses back apart so I can replace the mouthpieces with the better ones and use the old mouthpieces for the hose connector. I also wanted to try a few different things to the hose handles to see if I could make them look better.

Here is what I came up with:

Hang in there guys, hopefully I will be able to start shipping them out soon. What do you guys think of this hose? Any suggestions for improvement? The one thing that really pissed me off was that I had to use glue on the mouthtip side to hold the yarn. This was because of two reasons: 1. I already had this one wrapped in black and had to change out the mouthpiece and didn't want to undo the entire wrapping job and 2. because I started the criss-cross on the wrong side of the handle. Hopefully I will be smart enough to start it on the correct side next time.